Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: HivesDave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had hives for 7 years straight, without a day off from irritation. Some days its only a small spot here and there, other days it covers nearly my entire body. The itch feels like a burn, then when itched, it is the most enjoyable feeling, until I start to break the skin and bleed. Hydroxyzine is the simplest and most effect relief, if you can handle the drowziness it causes. Some days the humidity in the air helps, but if its to humid it will cause a break out. I avoid wearing watches as they rub and cause a rash. Try not to wear a ball cap to often (my scapl gets it the worst, I'm always scratching, and it now looks like I have dandruff, but its from scratching so much.

Comment from: hives, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I use Benadryl gel topically and Benadryl pills. They seem to work for me.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had hives for about three years now, and it gets worst in the winter. I have seen doctors and have also been to an allergy specialist, still can't find what causes mine. I am wondering if acupuncture would be good?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had hives since I was 10 years old. I am now 47. Sometimes I'll go months with no problems, then suddenly I'll start having problems again. I also have the swelling of the eyes, lips, and throat. The only thing I have found to work is Atarax. I don't have to take it all the time, but when I do have an outbreak of hives, or swelling of the lip, it definitely works.

Comment from: Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

There is a Chinese ointment called white flower oil. It may not help you get rid of the hives but can relieve you from the itching.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I found that "medicated foot powder" has helped a lot with the itching and dries up the hives quickly and helps with sweating. It doesn't help immediately, but within a few hours it helps greatly.

Comment from: kim61, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My hives started 5 months ago. It was horrible. Then I had angioedema. I kept getting hives and still have them. The allergist tested me, and I am allergic to potatoes. Well, I finally found out why I am stil getting them even though I have not eaten potatoes. My vitamins and my Allegra have potato flour in them. I bought Zyrtec as it doesn't have potato in it. I hope tomorrow I wake up hive free. I researched potato starch and it's in a lot of food. I really miss eating pizza and Chinese food.

Comment from: Beav177, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had hives for almost a year now. I take 3 reactine pills a day prescribed by my allergist. My skin produces too many histamines so until my body gets rid of it I could have these hives up to 2 years or more.

Comment from: Libbit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had hives for at least 5 years now. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've found cool showers, mineral ice and Benadryl Ready Tabs work the best. Not scratching helps, but is sometimes impossible not to do. Don't touch it! It drives me nuts! There should be some way to get rid of it altogether.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?