Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: ikon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had angioedema and pressure induced urticaria for a couple years. The only relief I got was with prednisone but that sent my blood sugar up to high, as I am a diabetic this was not a good thing. My diabetes doctor and family doctor came up with the idea of using "Singulair" as the antihistamines the allergy specialist suggested were not helping. It has been 3 weeks and I have had pretty good results so far. Doing things at work that would normally result in urticaria and nothing is happening so am hopeful this stuff is doing the trick. Bonus is you take 10 mg a day and not to bad of side effects from what I have read and they are cherry flavor chewables. I don't have asthma and never have but curious to know what properties in Singulair take care of my angioe and urticaria.

Comment from: Myriad2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with Chronic Autoimmune Urticaria (hives) just over a year ago. I have suffered from them off and on since I was in middle school (I'm 28 now) but never knew the cause until seeing my most recent allergist. I was put on steroids and antihistamines, but my hives continued to be out of control. My doctor then decided to put me on Cyclosporine (an immuno-suppressant) to see if we could get them under control. I was on the Cyclosporine for about 3 months and have been hive-free for over 6 months now.

Comment from: moi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

In the morning I'd take an antihistamine or just leave it be. In the evening I'd take a bath and rest. Bathing lessens the itch while resting in my bed secures me from sitting in dusty places, which causes my hives breakout.

Comment from: dannijean68, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I started getting hives last summer. Of course the doctor had no idea why. Since then I have realized my hives are temperature related, so when my skin gets hot I break out and when my skin gets cold I break out. All I can do is take an allergy medication when I have a reaction.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have suffered with urticaria and angiodema for over 6 months. Admitted to hospital on a bad attack when throat started to swell, I was pumped with steroids but no one knows the cause. Each day I have to decide itchy rash or migraine from the aerius medication! Have gone through so many antihistamines but cannot function as so drowsy. Urticaria covers the entire body, makes me crazy from itching and on bad attacks my lips, eyes and face swell to beyond recognition. I get asthmatic breathing difficulties on bad attacks.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

When I start having hives every day, I start taking a half of over the counter Zyrtec and no more hives. If I start hiving I take a Benadryl, then start the zyrtec!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I've suffered from over active histamines for over 12 years now. (Hives) Tagament worked for awhile and then stopped. Zertec worked for another couple years and then stopped. What worked the longest for me was Tumeric and Querctine. Sadly after around three years that's stopped to. So my quest continues.

Comment from: DebB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had chronic hives for approximately 15 years...they too came out of no where. One allergist thought it was related to dust mites, the other thought it was triggered by something in my diet. I have been taking 10 mg of Doxepin every 2-4 days and it keeps them under control. I have not increased the dosage and try to wait as long as possible to take one, as I don't like taking medication. My regular doctors have not had a better option, since this works, they keep re-filling my prescription. This drug makes you dopey, so you're to take it before bed. Sometimes my hives are amplified by stress or by something rubbing up against my skin i.e. a rough towel. Hope this helps someone.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?