Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: acardel1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with idiopathic urticarial and angioedema. For the last 4 months I have had hives every day and swelling of my face, hands, and feet at least once a week. This is my 4th time being on prednisone, Pepcid, and Benadryl. The steroids work great, but I can't be on them long term. The antihistamines alone don't help at all. I hope they find a better treatment so I can go back to living my normal life. The itchiness and swelling get so bad that it enables me from doing day to day tasks. Someone please help!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I take claritin daily and it works. I have had hives since high school and I am 43 now.

Comment from: ItchyLady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The treatment for my hives was Cyclosporine, an immunosuppressant. I've had chronic hives for over a year. Although Prednisone helped (which I took three times), hives came back immediately. I have them all over my trunk, thighs, neck, and upper arms. The itching is so intense that my bedding is speckled with blood from nighttime itching. I couldn't sleep and nothing helped relieve the itching. I started Cyclosporine and within two weeks the hives were gone. The doctor cut me back to 100mg/day and the hives started back. but no hives with 200mg/day.

Comment from: Ferguson, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

My doctor prescribes to me over the counter medicine such as Zyrtec. Zyrtec seems to work much better than what an urgent care doctor prescribe to me which is Prednisone. I have currently only taken Prednisone for the past two days, but it seems like the over the counter drug Zyrtec works better. The only problem is the drowsiness side effect which makes you sleepy. This site has really given much more insight about my condition then my doctors have.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had urticaria (hives) on my eyelid when I was about 10 years old. At 21 I started to get urticaria mainly on my elbows and face. I have it all the time nowadays (I'm 40 now) and it is all over my body from my feet, hands, upper legs and thighs, bottom, stomach and face (bumps) but I also now get a red rash on my neck. The only remedies are Zyrtec and a warm shower.

Comment from: duggie23, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

What helps my chronic hives/angioedema: zyrtec morning and night; zantac at night (contains antihistimine) and vitamin C, cold showers. Make sure your doctor tests you for the Fc epsilon high affinity antibody. I tested positive for that, thus, the trigger remains idiopathic. New drug is waiting for FDA approval.

Comment from: corina, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son is 20 months old and he's been getting hives since 2010. The doctor told me that the skin test doesn't mean exactly that he is allergic to milk and nuts, although tested positive for those. We've tried different kinds of medications, and sometimes they work, but a lot of times, even with meds he still breaks into hives, mostly on his arms and legs. We changed milk and we avoid nuts as much as possible. I hope he'll get rid of them soon and forever.

Comment from: Itchy in the IE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I broke out two days ago, and I'm absolutely miserable! I went to Urgent Care today where they give me steroids via IV. It worked for about four hours, and now they're back even worse. I'm so miserable I want to rip my skin off!

Comment from: onepeacegoddess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've gotten hives sporadically and always temporarily (thank goodness). I usually get it from dry or itchy skin that I scratch too much in my sleep, then I wake up with welts all over my body. I usually used cortisone cream and Benadryl. This time I used essential oils instead of the cortisone cream, and it worked much better to calm the itchiness! For every one ounce of grape seed oil I used, I added 10 drops of lavender and three drops of clove oil. Instant relief!

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?