Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had hives since I was 10 years old. I am now 47. Sometimes I'll go months with no problems, then suddenly I'll start having problems again. I also have the swelling of the eyes, lips, and throat. The only thing I have found to work is Atarax. I don't have to take it all the time, but when I do have an outbreak of hives, or swelling of the lip, it definitely works.

Comment from: Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

There is a Chinese ointment called white flower oil. It may not help you get rid of the hives but can relieve you from the itching.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I found that "medicated foot powder" has helped a lot with the itching and dries up the hives quickly and helps with sweating. It doesn't help immediately, but within a few hours it helps greatly.

Comment from: kim61, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My hives started 5 months ago. It was horrible. Then I had angioedema. I kept getting hives and still have them. The allergist tested me, and I am allergic to potatoes. Well, I finally found out why I am stil getting them even though I have not eaten potatoes. My vitamins and my Allegra have potato flour in them. I bought Zyrtec as it doesn't have potato in it. I hope tomorrow I wake up hive free. I researched potato starch and it's in a lot of food. I really miss eating pizza and Chinese food.

Comment from: Beav177, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had hives for almost a year now. I take 3 reactine pills a day prescribed by my allergist. My skin produces too many histamines so until my body gets rid of it I could have these hives up to 2 years or more.

Comment from: Libbit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had hives for at least 5 years now. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've found cool showers, mineral ice and Benadryl Ready Tabs work the best. Not scratching helps, but is sometimes impossible not to do. Don't touch it! It drives me nuts! There should be some way to get rid of it altogether.

Comment from: Katie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had hives on and off for three years. I recently was precribed Zyflo CR. It is really working. Hope this information helps.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had hives for about a year ten years ago and now they are back. I find for me eating anything acidic like oranges, tomatoes and any food containing these like ketchup greatly increases the hives so I try to eat very bland foods. Also immersing my feed in a pan of cold water while watching TV, etc brings a lot of relief. Although I have heard Advil can cause hives I find this is one of the best ways to relieve the itching. I am hoping soon for another 10 year span without them when they finally go away.

Comment from: i4gott, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I've had hives for about two weeks now after an allergic reaction to minocycline. I have been miserable, but today I found some relief from a surprising source. I was itching so bad on my back I wanted my husband to rub some cold lotion or something on it. All we had was a bottle of hand sanitizer and it worked, believe it or don't but it took a lot of the heat out of the itching.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?