Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Lizzy D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 53 yrs old and suffer with allergies, and over the last 6 months hives & itching on my legs and feet are increasing to the point that it's driving me insane. I too have taken prednisone which helped, but they came back. there's no rhyme or reason why hives are occurring, drs are trying to figure out. I do find that ZINC OXIDE stops the itching, so load up on it. I'm going through testing now, and the meds given to me don't seem to curb the itching. I want to find out what the problem is rather than masking it with ointments, but in the meantime, ZINC OZXIDE works, at least for me. good luck to all of you sufferers; I relate.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with hives when I was 24 years old. I was allergic to dust, pollen, mold, and Kentucky blue grass. I was put on an antihistamine, and after a few months, they went away. I'm 57 years old now, and I started having daily outbreaks over my entire body. I've seen an allergist and am now seeing a dermatologist. I've had blood work done and also a biopsy which I'm now waiting for the results on. I'm on several medications, but the things that seem to work best are the topical sprays, i.e. Benadryl, and also some anti-itching cream called Sarna, which I use every morning and evening. So far, they don't know what's causing them, and if I can just continue to manage the itching with medication and lotion, I'll be happy. Good luck to all of you, I really do feel your pain.

Comment from: Dean, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I had an operation a month ago and two days later broke out with these patches from the size of a pimple to 6-8 inches, they would only stick up a little but would be an inch or so deep, I didn't know what was going on, I called a friend that's a doctor and he said to try Zyrtec and its helped, the breakouts are not as bad and don't last as long, I'm hoping they will go away forever. Thanks for all the things I've read on this page, they've given me hope.

Comment from: faye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had this for almost a year now. I was prescribed four different types of medicines. After having had gastric bypass surgery I was taken of all medication. Now the hives are back and worst. I do not like taking medication without knowing what the main problem is.

Comment from: David, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I've had this thing for a while now, and I haven't made much of an effort to get rid of it. But I've noticed when I take a cold shower they itch less and start to go away. The cooler I stay the less I get them.

Comment from: Athena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had hives on and off since I was about 5 years old, it was my first memory. My whole face swelled up and I went to hospital. Then when I was in my 20s I got an out break with hives 3 times. Now I am reaching 40 next month. I was cleaning my daughters bed room sorting out teddies under the bed, and within a few hours I had an itchy bottom, neck, hands, wrists and fingers, also itching under my hair line. I find the whole thing very depressing and stressful.It feels like an alien has invaded my body. My body gets red and swells in places. Then it will go, and I feel elated at the relief, then it will appear in another place. I am scratching now as my fingers are now swelling. I have been to skin allerhy testing, and they found nothing. Last time this happened I drank a desert ginger wine and I don't even drink. within 5 minutes my lips were swollen. I had a cow like raised rash all over my torso and my hands were swollen red and itchy. Feel a bit low with it all and want it to disappear.

Comment from: tk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 30 yrs. old and have been having hives for more than 4yrs every day. About 2 yrs. ago I fall pregnant and the hives disappeared until a month after delivery. Since the its everyday hives and the itching is unbearable it's so annoying I have tried Benadryl and it helps with sleeping and no more.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?