Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: corina, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son is 20 months old and he's been getting hives since 2010. The doctor told me that the skin test doesn't mean exactly that he is allergic to milk and nuts, although tested positive for those. We've tried different kinds of medications, and sometimes they work, but a lot of times, even with meds he still breaks into hives, mostly on his arms and legs. We changed milk and we avoid nuts as much as possible. I hope he'll get rid of them soon and forever.

Comment from: Itchy in the IE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I broke out two days ago, and I'm absolutely miserable! I went to Urgent Care today where they give me steroids via IV. It worked for about four hours, and now they're back even worse. I'm so miserable I want to rip my skin off!

Comment from: onepeacegoddess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've gotten hives sporadically and always temporarily (thank goodness). I usually get it from dry or itchy skin that I scratch too much in my sleep, then I wake up with welts all over my body. I usually used cortisone cream and Benadryl. This time I used essential oils instead of the cortisone cream, and it worked much better to calm the itchiness! For every one ounce of grape seed oil I used, I added 10 drops of lavender and three drops of clove oil. Instant relief!

Comment from: HivesDave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had hives for 7 years straight, without a day off from irritation. Some days its only a small spot here and there, other days it covers nearly my entire body. The itch feels like a burn, then when itched, it is the most enjoyable feeling, until I start to break the skin and bleed. Hydroxyzine is the simplest and most effect relief, if you can handle the drowziness it causes. Some days the humidity in the air helps, but if its to humid it will cause a break out. I avoid wearing watches as they rub and cause a rash. Try not to wear a ball cap to often (my scapl gets it the worst, I'm always scratching, and it now looks like I have dandruff, but its from scratching so much.

Comment from: hives, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I use Benadryl gel topically and Benadryl pills. They seem to work for me.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had hives for about three years now, and it gets worst in the winter. I have seen doctors and have also been to an allergy specialist, still can't find what causes mine. I am wondering if acupuncture would be good?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had hives since I was 10 years old. I am now 47. Sometimes I'll go months with no problems, then suddenly I'll start having problems again. I also have the swelling of the eyes, lips, and throat. The only thing I have found to work is Atarax. I don't have to take it all the time, but when I do have an outbreak of hives, or swelling of the lip, it definitely works.

Comment from: Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

There is a Chinese ointment called white flower oil. It may not help you get rid of the hives but can relieve you from the itching.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I found that "medicated foot powder" has helped a lot with the itching and dries up the hives quickly and helps with sweating. It doesn't help immediately, but within a few hours it helps greatly.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?