Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Ferguson, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

My doctor prescribes to me over the counter medicine such as Zyrtec. Zyrtec seems to work much better than what an urgent care doctor prescribe to me which is Prednisone. I have currently only taken Prednisone for the past two days, but it seems like the over the counter drug Zyrtec works better. The only problem is the drowsiness side effect which makes you sleepy. This site has really given much more insight about my condition then my doctors have.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had urticaria (hives) on my eyelid when I was about 10 years old. At 21 I started to get urticaria mainly on my elbows and face. I have it all the time nowadays (I'm 40 now) and it is all over my body from my feet, hands, upper legs and thighs, bottom, stomach and face (bumps) but I also now get a red rash on my neck. The only remedies are Zyrtec and a warm shower.

Comment from: duggie23, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

What helps my chronic hives/angioedema: zyrtec morning and night; zantac at night (contains antihistimine) and vitamin C, cold showers. Make sure your doctor tests you for the Fc epsilon high affinity antibody. I tested positive for that, thus, the trigger remains idiopathic. New drug is waiting for FDA approval.

Comment from: corina, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son is 20 months old and he's been getting hives since 2010. The doctor told me that the skin test doesn't mean exactly that he is allergic to milk and nuts, although tested positive for those. We've tried different kinds of medications, and sometimes they work, but a lot of times, even with meds he still breaks into hives, mostly on his arms and legs. We changed milk and we avoid nuts as much as possible. I hope he'll get rid of them soon and forever.

Comment from: Itchy in the IE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I broke out two days ago, and I'm absolutely miserable! I went to Urgent Care today where they give me steroids via IV. It worked for about four hours, and now they're back even worse. I'm so miserable I want to rip my skin off!

Comment from: onepeacegoddess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've gotten hives sporadically and always temporarily (thank goodness). I usually get it from dry or itchy skin that I scratch too much in my sleep, then I wake up with welts all over my body. I usually used cortisone cream and Benadryl. This time I used essential oils instead of the cortisone cream, and it worked much better to calm the itchiness! For every one ounce of grape seed oil I used, I added 10 drops of lavender and three drops of clove oil. Instant relief!

Comment from: HivesDave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had hives for 7 years straight, without a day off from irritation. Some days its only a small spot here and there, other days it covers nearly my entire body. The itch feels like a burn, then when itched, it is the most enjoyable feeling, until I start to break the skin and bleed. Hydroxyzine is the simplest and most effect relief, if you can handle the drowziness it causes. Some days the humidity in the air helps, but if its to humid it will cause a break out. I avoid wearing watches as they rub and cause a rash. Try not to wear a ball cap to often (my scapl gets it the worst, I'm always scratching, and it now looks like I have dandruff, but its from scratching so much.

Comment from: hives, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I use Benadryl gel topically and Benadryl pills. They seem to work for me.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had hives for about three years now, and it gets worst in the winter. I have seen doctors and have also been to an allergy specialist, still can't find what causes mine. I am wondering if acupuncture would be good?

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?