Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Athena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had hives on and off since I was about 5 years old, it was my first memory. My whole face swelled up and I went to hospital. Then when I was in my 20s I got an out break with hives 3 times. Now I am reaching 40 next month. I was cleaning my daughters bed room sorting out teddies under the bed, and within a few hours I had an itchy bottom, neck, hands, wrists and fingers, also itching under my hair line. I find the whole thing very depressing and stressful.It feels like an alien has invaded my body. My body gets red and swells in places. Then it will go, and I feel elated at the relief, then it will appear in another place. I am scratching now as my fingers are now swelling. I have been to skin allerhy testing, and they found nothing. Last time this happened I drank a desert ginger wine and I don't even drink. within 5 minutes my lips were swollen. I had a cow like raised rash all over my torso and my hands were swollen red and itchy. Feel a bit low with it all and want it to disappear.

Comment from: tk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 30 yrs. old and have been having hives for more than 4yrs every day. About 2 yrs. ago I fall pregnant and the hives disappeared until a month after delivery. Since the its everyday hives and the itching is unbearable it's so annoying I have tried Benadryl and it helps with sleeping and no more.

Comment from: acardel1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 22 years old and have been diagnosed with idiopathic urticarial and angioedema. For the last 4 months I have had hives every day and swelling of my face, hands, and feet at least once a week. This is my 4th time being on prednisone, Pepcid, and Benadryl. The steroids work great, but I can't be on them long term. The antihistamines alone don't help at all. I hope they find a better treatment so I can go back to living my normal life. The itchiness and swelling get so bad that it enables me from doing day to day tasks. Someone please help!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I take claritin daily and it works. I have had hives since high school and I am 43 now.

Comment from: ItchyLady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

The treatment for my hives was Cyclosporine, an immunosuppressant. I've had chronic hives for over a year. Although Prednisone helped (which I took three times), hives came back immediately. I have them all over my trunk, thighs, neck, and upper arms. The itching is so intense that my bedding is speckled with blood from nighttime itching. I couldn't sleep and nothing helped relieve the itching. I started Cyclosporine and within two weeks the hives were gone. The doctor cut me back to 100mg/day and the hives started back. but no hives with 200mg/day.

Comment from: Ferguson, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

My doctor prescribes to me over the counter medicine such as Zyrtec. Zyrtec seems to work much better than what an urgent care doctor prescribe to me which is Prednisone. I have currently only taken Prednisone for the past two days, but it seems like the over the counter drug Zyrtec works better. The only problem is the drowsiness side effect which makes you sleepy. This site has really given much more insight about my condition then my doctors have.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had urticaria (hives) on my eyelid when I was about 10 years old. At 21 I started to get urticaria mainly on my elbows and face. I have it all the time nowadays (I'm 40 now) and it is all over my body from my feet, hands, upper legs and thighs, bottom, stomach and face (bumps) but I also now get a red rash on my neck. The only remedies are Zyrtec and a warm shower.

Comment from: duggie23, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

What helps my chronic hives/angioedema: zyrtec morning and night; zantac at night (contains antihistimine) and vitamin C, cold showers. Make sure your doctor tests you for the Fc epsilon high affinity antibody. I tested positive for that, thus, the trigger remains idiopathic. New drug is waiting for FDA approval.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?