Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

For over two years I would wake up every morning with swollen eyes and lips and itchy hives on my hands and feet. I went to many doctors but they could not help. Someone suggested it could be from the new toothpaste I was using which had tartar control ingredients in it. I stopped using tartar control toothpastes and the swelling stopped. Apparently there is something in that toothpaste that I was reacting to. It stayed in my mouth overnight and thus got into my blood stream. Glad I figured it out. No more swollen face!

Comment from: henry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Lots of bottled water helped me for hives. I had 3 16 oz. bottles a day at least and I also went to dollar tree and found a liquid diphenhydramine and it worked; best part it was only a dollar. I tried Claritin and all it did was keep me up all night. I also used an athlete's foot cream so I am not sure which was best. I also used the hot water when I itched badly then followed it with cool water.

Comment from: Natural remedy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Hives can be cured with natural remedies. It happened to me and was an awful experience. Juice ginger and lemon, and drink kefir and kombucha. Eat lightly, so you clean your digestive system. Wash with apple cider vinegar and try to remain calm, it will all go away.

Comment from: shelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had chronic hives for 23 years, controlled by daily doses of Allegra. Whenever I would miss an Allegra dose, the hives would return (arms, legs, scalp, and face). However, I have developed H. pylori bacteria and have to take Nexium (1 year). I am not sure if the Allegra caused these gastric problems. I recently ran out of Allegra and starting taking Claritin, which is controlling the hives so far. I will consult with my doctor soon about switching to Claritin and stopping the Nexium. I have secured an EpiPen due to multiple environmental, food, and plant allergens.

Comment from: CarlosG903, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have a home remedy for hives. I came down with hives yesterday early afternoon (first time in my life). I didn't think anything of it until the suddenness of redness and itching on my arms, legs, back, neck, chest, and stomach. My brother had hives, he advised me to take Benadryl. My ex-girlfriend had them about 4 months ago. She found a home remedy, small clean towel soaked in vinegar, applied to the redness helps! The vinegar is enhanced if you use a cooling fan to keep the vinegar-soaked towel cool. It reduces the redness and feels good. I woke up this morning, spots are gone; my muscles are fatigued, but red soreness is almost gone.

Comment from: Cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I suffered from chronic hives about 10 years ago. I woke up with hives every morning and anytime I had pressure put on any part of my body. After going to an allergist he found that I had hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease. I was put on Claritin for about 6 months while the doctor followed up with regular appointments. After I was hive free for a long period of time he slowly took me off the Claritin and I am still hive free today. The Claritin will make you very sleepy at first but you will adjust if you stick with it. Good Luck!

Comment from: Esther, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

In 2008 almost the whole year, I had hives and it was the first time. They were on and off. When I took loratadine (Loridin) in 2009, they went but in the last quarter of 2012, they were back. I tried to use the same medication but it could only take away symptoms temporarily. For about 5 months, I have been using raw garlic morning and evening and it works well for me. Also cetirizine was working well for me, for every 1 1/2 days each tab, but only because I wanted to avoid it as it could make me sleepy. Hope you try it out. Good luck.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was on holiday in Turkey in 2001 when I first started to get a strange reaction. I would feel weak and then my lips started to swell. When we returned home I then started to break out in huge hives and sometimes swelling under the skin. I was sent to numerous specialists and no reason for the hives was found. I tried all the usual drugs mentioned by other people and then one day in 2005, I met a person who had the same problem. She was put on a 5 day dose of prednisone 50mg. a day. At the end of that dose I was then put on hydroxyzine and ranitidine. I took this medication, 1 tablet each morning and evening. This finally worked. I eventually was able to wean myself off this medication and for the past 5 years was hive free - until late this summer when suddenly the hives returned, no known cause. I am trying the same treatment as before but this time I am not getting the same result.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?