Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I suffer from acute hives, I've been dealing with them for over 30 years and have been hospitalized from them. Reactine is the only thing that helps me and I've tried everything. Reactine works so fast I can watch the hives going down on my skin within 20 minutes. Since using it I haven't even had to have adrenaline shots. Get the extra strength you won't be sorry.

Comment from: Better Now, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Fifteen years ago I had an osteotomy of the hip. Hives ran in my family but other than an occasional hive or two that was about it. After my surgery I began to have swelling of the lips and eyes, which developed into hives from the top of my head to my toes. I saw internal medicine physician, allergist, etc., who were baffled. I took Zyrtec every 12 hours to keep them in control. Finally, after two years, an emergency room physician gave me prednisone, which worked. However, a hand surgeon suggested that it may have been caused by the screws in my hip which may contain nickel that most people are allergic to.

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

For over two years I would wake up every morning with swollen eyes and lips and itchy hives on my hands and feet. I went to many doctors but they could not help. Someone suggested it could be from the new toothpaste I was using which had tartar control ingredients in it. I stopped using tartar control toothpastes and the swelling stopped. Apparently there is something in that toothpaste that I was reacting to. It stayed in my mouth overnight and thus got into my blood stream. Glad I figured it out. No more swollen face!

Comment from: henry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Lots of bottled water helped me for hives. I had 3 16 oz. bottles a day at least and I also went to dollar tree and found a liquid diphenhydramine and it worked; best part it was only a dollar. I tried Claritin and all it did was keep me up all night. I also used an athlete's foot cream so I am not sure which was best. I also used the hot water when I itched badly then followed it with cool water.

Comment from: Natural remedy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Hives can be cured with natural remedies. It happened to me and was an awful experience. Juice ginger and lemon, and drink kefir and kombucha. Eat lightly, so you clean your digestive system. Wash with apple cider vinegar and try to remain calm, it will all go away.

Comment from: shelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had chronic hives for 23 years, controlled by daily doses of Allegra. Whenever I would miss an Allegra dose, the hives would return (arms, legs, scalp, and face). However, I have developed H. pylori bacteria and have to take Nexium (1 year). I am not sure if the Allegra caused these gastric problems. I recently ran out of Allegra and starting taking Claritin, which is controlling the hives so far. I will consult with my doctor soon about switching to Claritin and stopping the Nexium. I have secured an EpiPen due to multiple environmental, food, and plant allergens.

Comment from: CarlosG903, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have a home remedy for hives. I came down with hives yesterday early afternoon (first time in my life). I didn't think anything of it until the suddenness of redness and itching on my arms, legs, back, neck, chest, and stomach. My brother had hives, he advised me to take Benadryl. My ex-girlfriend had them about 4 months ago. She found a home remedy, small clean towel soaked in vinegar, applied to the redness helps! The vinegar is enhanced if you use a cooling fan to keep the vinegar-soaked towel cool. It reduces the redness and feels good. I woke up this morning, spots are gone; my muscles are fatigued, but red soreness is almost gone.

Comment from: Cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I suffered from chronic hives about 10 years ago. I woke up with hives every morning and anytime I had pressure put on any part of my body. After going to an allergist he found that I had hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease. I was put on Claritin for about 6 months while the doctor followed up with regular appointments. After I was hive free for a long period of time he slowly took me off the Claritin and I am still hive free today. The Claritin will make you very sleepy at first but you will adjust if you stick with it. Good Luck!

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?