Patient Comments: Hives - Treatment

What was your treatment for hives?

Comment from: Brian, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been getting hives just about every day now for the past 30 years. I have what the multitude of Doctors have all called idiopathic urticaria. No rhyme or reason for why I get them. Most have said it was probably hormonal and that I would out grow them...well that hasn't happened. I've been on every type of meds that could be thought of to rid these evil things. The only thing that somewhat helps is Doxepin. Prednisone does wonders but unfortunately can't be taken for any length of time. I just keep hoping one day there will be a miracle pill to cure or at least manage better than what I'm taking.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had hives every day since June 2nd, 2011. I was given Cortizone, 2 treatments of Prednizone, Allegra, Benadryl, Doxipin, Oatmeal baths, use free and clear detergents, free and clear soaps. Now I am taking 4 Zyrtec per day and Tagamet. Recently I was given a Xolair shot. Nothing is working. Would love to hear any suggestions as I am very disgusted and sick of the itching!!!

Published: February 08

Hi everyone, I'm 35 years old and I got hives because I became allergic to a medication I was taking. In the beginning it was really bad with the itching and the burning feeling, I just want to say that I use jojoba oil on my skin when it became extremely itchy and it calmed my skin to the point where I didn't have to scratch. I read in an article that jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe this is why I felt relief from it. Jojoba oil has helped me deal with this hive situation.

Comment from: lilh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been dealing with a sparred bite, misdiagnosis, fungal infection, and now hives from the meds to cure the finagle infection. It is so itchy I can't sleep or do anything but scratch at times. Usually taking a walk or distracting myself helps, I've tried steroid creams; i even got a steroid shot and used Zyrtec, but that only helps a little. Using Vaseline actually helped me get to sleep; somehow the skin not being too dry is helpful. I'm going to drink extra water and stay active; maybe they will seem to go away faster if i don't scratch and try not to think about it.

Comment from: Shaik, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I used LEVOCITIRIZINE mouth dissolving tablet 1 at bedtime for hives and I wonder it works great and that was prescribed to me by my skin specialist. Actually, I got itchy hives and I have been with this suffering for the last 1 day. He also prescribed calcium with vitamin D3 tablet too to use 1 tablet in the afternoon.

Comment from: Lizzy D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 53 yrs old and suffer with allergies, and over the last 6 months hives & itching on my legs and feet are increasing to the point that it's driving me insane. I too have taken prednisone which helped, but they came back. there's no rhyme or reason why hives are occurring, drs are trying to figure out. I do find that ZINC OXIDE stops the itching, so load up on it. I'm going through testing now, and the meds given to me don't seem to curb the itching. I want to find out what the problem is rather than masking it with ointments, but in the meantime, ZINC OZXIDE works, at least for me. good luck to all of you sufferers; I relate.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with hives when I was 24 years old. I was allergic to dust, pollen, mold, and Kentucky blue grass. I was put on an antihistamine, and after a few months, they went away. I'm 57 years old now, and I started having daily outbreaks over my entire body. I've seen an allergist and am now seeing a dermatologist. I've had blood work done and also a biopsy which I'm now waiting for the results on. I'm on several medications, but the things that seem to work best are the topical sprays, i.e. Benadryl, and also some anti-itching cream called Sarna, which I use every morning and evening. So far, they don't know what's causing them, and if I can just continue to manage the itching with medication and lotion, I'll be happy. Good luck to all of you, I really do feel your pain.

Hives - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Symptoms Question: What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?