- HIV AIDS Myths and Facts Slideshow Pictures
- Take the HIV/AIDS Quiz
- AIDS Retrospective Slideshow Pictures
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) testing facts
- What is the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)?
- What are the different types of HIV testing?
- How long does it take to get results back from an HIV test?
- Is counseling offered with HIV testing?
- How accurate is an HIV test? What is the window period for an HIV test?
- Is HIV testing necessary for pregnant women?
- Where can people find free HIV testing locations?
- Where can people find more information about HIV testing?
Quick GuideHIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
Where can people find more information about HIV testing?
There are several resources for people interested about the facts of HIV testing.
- The National HIV and STD Testing Resource site (http://www.hivtest.org) contains answers to frequently asked questions.
- The CDC web site is also a good source of information: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/testing/. This site also contains information on how to order free HIV/AIDS publications.
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation has a fact sheet available at http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/6094-09.pdf. This sheet contains a useful list of states that allow confidential and anonymous testing for HIV.
Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. "HIV/AIDS Policy Fact Sheet: HIV Testing in the United States." June 2009. <http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/6094-09.pdf>.
United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "HIV Testing." Aug. 3, 2008. <http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/>.