Patient Comments: Histoplasmosis - Diagnosis

How was your histoplasmosis diagnosed?

Comment from: jerter, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed with histoplasmosis in January 2017. I was coughing blood uncontrollably and had 5 bronchoscopies in one month. I was diagnosed with calcified nodes in bronchial tubes. There was nothing they could do for me. They tried to cauterize the nodes but that didn't work. I still occasionally bleed. I have dry cough, aches and pains and shortness of breath. I was also diagnosed with atrial fibrillation several years ago. I was on Coumadin until bleeding started so I couldn't take anything to thin blood. I try to get along best I can. I am on oxygen at night and if I get very short of breath during the day. I keep on doing want needs to be done around the house so life goes on. Thank you for letting me vent!

Comment from: tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I went for a routine chest x-ray and a spot showed up in upper right lung. I had upper right lobe removed and then they determined it was histoplasmosis and not cancer.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with histoplasmosis after being treated for 4 months for bacterial pneumonia. I was hospitalized twice in that time, once in septic shock. I was finally given a bronchoscopy which determined pneumonia was fungal, not bacterial.

Comment from: Neanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with histoplasmosis when I went into emergency surgery at 21 when I had a torn aorta from an auto accident. They noticed my lung while doing it and the doctors weren't sure what it was and suspected cancer, so they took half of the left lung out to biopsy.

Comment from: CADDGUY, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with histoplasmosis as an early teenager. A routine chest x-ray showed a shadow outside a lung, along the spine, I think. When I joined the Marine Corps in 1966, another chest x-ray showed the same shadow and I was almost discharged before finishing boot camp, before a doctor said that the histoplasmosis would not harm my health as I grew older. Now, many years later, I have shortness of breath and wheezing issues. My Veterans' Affairs pulmonary physician wants another x-ray and a CT scan to test if the calcification is causing some of my health problems.

Comment from: Stormy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have ocular histoplasmosis, but also have had asthma for a lot of my life and now notice that I have possible sleep apnea. I had many surgeries on my eyes (both, sadly) and have lost a lot of vision but haven't had any symptoms for 10 years. Unless this very rare asthma and sleep apnea could mean that this histoplasmosis is in my lungs. I am now wondering if I should get a chest x-ray. I was under the impression that after the initial flare up it was dead and gone, I wonder if it is chronic.

Histoplasmosis - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your histoplasmosis?
Histoplasmosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: If you were diagnosed with histoplasmosis, at what point did you show symptoms? What were they?