Patient Comments: Hirschsprung's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did your infant or child develop symptoms of Hirschsprung's disease? Please discuss your experience.

Comment from: jude, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was born with Hirschsprung's disease and I am so convinced that this is how I ended up with learning disabilities and endocrine tumors; no one can tell me different. I know how I grew up. I had Hirschsprung's since I was an infant and for some reason, I faked the pain; I guess that an infant can fake Hirschsprung's; how an infant can fake it, I will never know. The disease is so incredibly painful and people say the most ignorant hateful things. They tell me I am doing this for attention, hell no, I will do a lot for attention but not fake a disease. I hear that I should eat more vegetables; look into my fridge and you will see more vegetables than anything else. Even in this day and age, we need to educate the public on this disease and what not to say to someone with Hirschsprung's. This disease is too painful and so misunderstood; too sad.

Comment from: Jude Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I still want answers and I won't give up until I get one on why I was not diagnosed with Hirschsprung's disease until adulthood. I did have it since infancy. I am so angry because I had learning disabilities and I had to go to school in severe pain and was bullied. Somehow I made it to college and the day after graduation, the Hirschsprung's gave in. I am also convinced that this disease also caused my endometrial tumors.

Comment from: Avenging Hyena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Just loads of thanks to the medical industry. I have been severely constipated since infancy and nothing was done about it until the diagnosis came at age 23 of short-segment Hirschsprung's. This disease was discovered in 1886 by Dr. Harald Hirschprung and my doctors could not figure it out. I am currently on four Senokot capsules a day. When all else fails I do drink Coca Cola Classic, and for me, it does the trick. I do deserve an answer on why I did not receive a proper diagnosis. No one should have to live with a disease for over 20 years and not have the proper information on it.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My son was diagnosed with Hirschsprung"s disease at 7 days. He was airlifted and had emergency surgery. He had an ileostomy for 10 months and then the pull through. I was told originally he would be very small, sickly and not be able to go to regular school or participate in sports. Today, I am so happy to report he is 14 years old, 6ft 1 and 160 pounds. He takes no prescription medications. He takes a probiotic vitamin daily and 4 salt tablets a day to stay hydrated. He starts on baseball, football and basketball teams.

Comment from: Grams, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My 21 year old grandson was born with Hirschsprung's. He had a pull through done at the age of 10. Today he is in pain, with cramps that he says hurts all over. He stomach is not swollen. I hear the rumblings in stomach. This same situation happened about 4 months ago. He does not have a fever, but says he feels like he is burning up. I have given him a Gas-X, potassium tablet and 2 Advils.

Comment from: Blueline1991, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I had severe constipation as an infant. My (late) granny told me they had to take me to the hospital at one point. I grew up with this problem all throughout childhood, teenage years and not adulthood. I have also been diagnosed with bipolar II and more recently, fibromyalgia (2014). I was wondering if maybe I had Hirschsprung's disease and we didn't know it. My infancy was during the early 70s. I will bring it up to my gastroenterologist next Monday (I have a follow up - long story that led to dehydration over the weekend. X-ray in October showed impaction along the walls of the intestines. It is awful to not have insurance, otherwise, I'd have followed up back in October. Anyway, thank you for listening and any ideas you may have on this inquiry.

Hirschsprung's Disease - Personal Experience Question: Was your child or relative born with Hirschsprung's disease? Please share your experience.
Hirschsprung's Disease - Surgery Question: Did your child have surgery to treat Hirschsprung's disease? Please share your experience.