Hirschsprung Disease (cont.)
If I have more children, will they also have Hirschsprung's disease?
If you have a child with Hirschsprung disease, your chance of having more children with
Hirschsprung disease is greater. Talk with your doctor about the risk.
Hirschsprung's Disease At A Glance
- Hirschsprung disease (HD) is a disease of the large intestine that causes severe constipation or intestinal obstruction. People with
Hirschsprung disease are born with it.
- The large intestine, which includes the colon and rectum, is the last part of the digestive tract.
- The cause of Hirschsprung disease is unclear. Hirschsprung disease is not caused by anything a mother did while pregnant.
- The main symptoms of Hirschsprung disease are constipation or intestinal obstruction, usually appearing shortly after birth.
- Newborns with Hirschsprung disease almost always fail to have their first bowel movement within 48 hours after birth.
- Hirschsprung disease is diagnosed based on symptoms and test results.
- Hirschsprung disease is treated with surgery called a pull-through procedure.
- A child who has been very sick from Hirschsprung disease may need an ostomy to get better before the pull-through procedure.
- Most children pass stool normally after the pull-through procedure.
- People with Hirschsprung disease can suffer from an infection of the intestines, called enterocolitis, before or after surgery.
- If you have a child with Hirschsprung disease, your chance of having more children with
Hirschsprung disease is greater.
SOURCE: National Digestive Diseases
Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). What I need to know about Hirschsprung Disease.
Reviewed on 5/10/2012
Viewers share their comments
Hirschsprung's Disease - Personal Experience
Question: Was your child or relative born with Hirschsprung's disease? Please share your experience.
Hirschsprung's Disease - Symptoms
Question: At what age did your infant or child develop symptoms of Hirschsprung's disease? Please discuss your experience.
Hirschsprung's Disease - Surgery
Question: Did your child have surgery to treat Hirschsprung's disease? Please share your experience.