Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Lindsay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I spent the last 3.5 years in severe pain in my lower right abdomen and right hip. I took many, many ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs, x-rays, etc., and even a laparoscopy and still nothing! One day my physical therapist mentioned a labral tear. Never hearing of this, I looked it up and it fit a lot of my symptoms. I went to my doctor and through more specific tests, found out I have the hip trifecta. I have a large liberal tear, bursitis caused by the labral tear, and bone spurs. Finally, all the pain, the not being able to stand/sit/lay too long, the pain being in such a wide range of areas. If you"re having undiagnosed hip pain have your doctor check for a labral tear.

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain from hip bursitis certainly kept me awake, now I have on both sides. I had cortisone injections and it didn"t fizz on me, finally I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he injected Kenalog 40 and it took the pain away for almost a year. I go see him about every year and half, he said not all doctors are trained to put it in, be careful though, it freezes your leg for a few hours. I have somebody drive then help me into the apartment. What a relief!

Comment from: Tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I first had pain when I was around 12 years old and was told it was probably growing pains. I have always been very active, playing sports all my life. I just played through the pain and it usually gets better after I stretch out and just get moving. I was diagnosed in college with bursitis on left side. I played ball and I had to do my training in the pool when it flared up. I had 3 cortisone shots over the years but the pain always came back. I will not have any more. I take naproxen as needed. I cannot sleep on the left side and wake up many nights in severe pain and can"t move. I wake my husband and make him go get the naproxen. It also makes my back hurt and radiates down the whole leg. Sitting for long periods of time make it hurt terribly. I always take naproxen before plane trips. I am not very flexible on that side but just continue to run and play sports through the pain. I have learned to live with it. Try stretching, it actually helps loosen it up even though it really hurts.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Almost a year ago I had sudden onset of hip pain. After an x-ray, nothing showed, so I had a bone scan. An area around my femur showed but was not defined, followed by a CT scan, still no confirmed diagnosis. I had MRI which originally said no trochanteric bursitis, but 2nd MRI said it might by bursitis. I am in pain all the time, cannot lie on either side because of the pain in my right hip. It hurts to sit too long too. Driving my car is very difficult. I had cortisone injection with some relief, and have just started some physiotherapy, ultrasound and TENS with heat. Hope this helps, I`m not sure what else to do.

Comment from: peni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have all the symptoms of bursitis. I ride my bike and I am always traveling and doing stretching exercise so I was surprise that I would have bursitis. The pain is on my right hip radiates to my butt and thighs and my groin area. It is a dull pain or stabbing pain or grinding pain and Motrin relieves it somewhat.

Comment from: mhoward590, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had several back surgeries since 1997, so I have always somewhat had pain, so when my hips and legs started hurting I just figured my back was acting up. But to my surprise it was something else. I stand on my feet for 12 hour days and some weeks I work 7 days, been doing this four years, but I won"t be any more because I am going to get well and take time to heal my body. Bursitis is no joke, the pain as you know is not fun. Today is the re beginning of no pain or limit pain so I can have a better quality of life. Bring on the treatment.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?