Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have hip bursitis in both hips and have had two shots in each since it developed more than a year ago. Sometimes the shot is effective, and sometimes it isn't. Sleeping is horrible, as both sides are involved. Ironically, I wake up with pain in my knee on the side I am sleeping on. I guess from pressing on the bursa while sleeping, the pain radiates. I alternate usage of Advil, Aleve, Celebrex (which did little), Flexeril (which does little) and Tylenol. I have had three rehab sessions and have not seen much improvement. I love to walk, but I know that aggravates it.

Comment from: Sandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a 42-year-old female who has been struggling with hip pain for many years but it is steadily getting worse. Sleeping is a nightmare. It hurts to lay on the "bad" hip, but when I lay on the other side, I still get pain. It's not at first but after about 10 minutes or so, it feels like the hip is being stretched. I take prescribed pain killers and sleeping pills or I would never get any sleep. I teach preschool and one of the "hazards" is sitting on the floor or little chairs. Sitting cross-legged is the worst!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed with hip bursitis when I was 17. I tried physical therapy and have had no luck. I can't sleep on my right side -- the affected side -- I can't sit criss-crossed on the floor, and I have a very hard time walking for long periods.

Comment from: Trackwa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am a 40-year-old female and have had chronic hip pain for more than four years. I have been diagnosed with chronic hip bursitis. I have had two Cortisone injections, both of which did not work. I've had physical therapy, which did nothing. I am waiting to have another injection. If this fails, he will operate. I am now unable to walk at a normal pace. I am in constant pain and take painkillers every four hours, but they do not take the pain away. I cannot put all my weight on my left leg and have to sit down to get dressed or put shoes on. I cannot sit for long periods or lie on my left side. I cannot sit cross-legged or lean toward my left side. I cannot swim or exercise. I am in constant pain day and night.

Comment from: Someobody19, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am only 18, and I have just been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had pain in my left hip for as long as I can remember and have spent several hundred dollars on orthotics and other "treatments." I am a retired gymnast and now I am a gymnastics coach. I have taken so much ibuprofen and Tylenol over the years that it doesn't even work anymore. The doctor says I may have it for the rest of my life, and since pain meds don't work, I'm pretty much screwed. Because of my job, I can't let it rest either. I'm in excruciating pain almost constantly. Sucks to be me.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am a 54 year old female, 120 lbs 5'5,(was) very active. I have been suffering with bursitis of my right hip for 25 years. I have had injections, physical therapy, megadosed myself with asprin, motrin, you name it. I had a hip arthroscopy last August. My pain level at times now, 6 months post op is a 10+ if I remain in the same position sitting or laying down for an extended period of time. I am frustrated and I don't know what to do. The pain sometimes radiates to my knee to my ankle. I have had a full spine MRI and Neuro studies. Percodan doesn't take away the pain, just makes it so I don't care.

Comment from: SingleMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a 41-year-old female. I feel that I'm in fairly good shape and definitely not overweight. My right hip started hurting about eight weeks ago, especially during adult activities. As time passed, I noticed when I sat for long, my hip would get stiff, and it would take me a while to straighten back out. I did physical therapy and several steroid shots, but my hip is still hurting. They believe it to be bursitis, but nothing has touched it yet.

Comment from: DaveyDave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

43 year old male suffering with greater trochanter bursitis for several years. I was misdiagnosed by my ortho who told me I have AVN (avascular necrosis). Went to a new DR same thing. I finally went to a pain management Dr. who said I have bursitis not AVN. He gave me an injection into the bursa with great results for the first two months, went back for 3 more without the same result. Now I don't know where to turn. Back to another ortho or to the pain Dr to see if there is anything else we can do. This is really affecting my life in a negative way now. Can't sleep, walk long distances, etc......

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?