Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: heart pt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I'm a 45-year-old female and recently had double bypass heart surgery. I'm now going through cardiac rehab. I think I have bursitis from exercising on my bicycle. I have it in my left hip, and sometimes in my right. I'm afraid I won't be able to take medication due to my heart surgery. I'm wondering if there's a way to get rid of the pain naturally. I never had this before the surgery.

Comment from: Me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have had right hip bursitis since I was 13 from a snowboarding accident. I am now 23 and have had two surgeries and a handful of cortisone injections. I feel like nothing works. Sleeping is a nightmare – I'm having a hard time with new doctors and getting help with my pain. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go to a pain clinic to get pain medicine.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: April 05

I had hip bursitis, which was treated with a cortisone injection. Immediately I was cured. No more night pain or pain after sitting, climbing hills, or stairs. When the pain was really bad, I found that lying on my back was the only way I could get relief. It affected my groin, hip, knees, and ankles. However, I also found that the pain was always worse after a sitting for a long time. I found it odd that even when I tried to sleep on my good side, the pain was worse. However, when I walked for some time the pain eased. Sleep for the whole night during this period was impossible. I suggest that anyone who has this should try using a hard chair. Always avoid soft chairs or mattresses. I hated sleeping away from home. My wish is that the bursitis does not return. I'm very thankful for my doctor.

Comment from: Val104, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have suffered from hip bursitis off and on for four years. I tried everything – physical therapy, injections, and pain management. Nothing took it away until I went to acupuncture. I swear by it – try it.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have bursitis in my right hip. I can't lie on either hip, and walking and climbing stairs aggravate the pain. Does anyone have a problem with what feels like a pulling sensation across the lower abdomen near the appendix? Also if I cross my legs, the right leg feels numb. With little success I've tired one cortisone shot, ice, heat, and an anti-inflammatory—which caused my heart to pound. Trying to sleep is the worst part. I'm going to try acupuncture; people seem to be helped by that method.

Comment from: colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a full knee replacement two years ago. I did very well, found I could walk normal again and was very happy with my new knee. I started getting unbearable pain on the side of my hip whenever I walked or put pressure on this side. I went to the doctor and was told it was bursitis. Needless to say, I am so sad to have gone through the knee replacement and now have this pain.

Comment from: therese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had bursitis since i was a child did not know what was until a few ago. I seeked medical treatment it is the worse pain I think anybody could have. even with treatment it is still very painful.

Comment from: mammac04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 27-year-old female. I am a stay-at-mom of four. I started having right hip pain with my second child and thought it to be from the pregnancy, as it went away after the delivery. I have always been a very active person. I was in the military and had problems with bursitis. It was only two months ago I was diagnosed with severe hip bursitis in my right hip. Because of the pain I cannot do anything. I had to quit both my jobs -- as a waitress and a gymnastics instructor. I have a very hard time doing my daily tasks let alone getting out of bed. I have had no relief from the pain.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?