Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am a 54 year old female, 120 lbs 5'5,(was) very active. I have been suffering with bursitis of my right hip for 25 years. I have had injections, physical therapy, megadosed myself with asprin, motrin, you name it. I had a hip arthroscopy last August. My pain level at times now, 6 months post op is a 10+ if I remain in the same position sitting or laying down for an extended period of time. I am frustrated and I don't know what to do. The pain sometimes radiates to my knee to my ankle. I have had a full spine MRI and Neuro studies. Percodan doesn't take away the pain, just makes it so I don't care.

Comment from: SingleMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a 41-year-old female. I feel that I'm in fairly good shape and definitely not overweight. My right hip started hurting about eight weeks ago, especially during adult activities. As time passed, I noticed when I sat for long, my hip would get stiff, and it would take me a while to straighten back out. I did physical therapy and several steroid shots, but my hip is still hurting. They believe it to be bursitis, but nothing has touched it yet.

Comment from: DaveyDave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

43 year old male suffering with greater trochanter bursitis for several years. I was misdiagnosed by my ortho who told me I have AVN (avascular necrosis). Went to a new DR same thing. I finally went to a pain management Dr. who said I have bursitis not AVN. He gave me an injection into the bursa with great results for the first two months, went back for 3 more without the same result. Now I don't know where to turn. Back to another ortho or to the pain Dr to see if there is anything else we can do. This is really affecting my life in a negative way now. Can't sleep, walk long distances, etc......

Comment from: Keegan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I just recently turned 24, and I have had painful hip bursitis (trocanteric bursitis) since mid-high school. It's awful. It started gradually, and gradually worsened. I was on Cross Country and Track, which I guess is what caused it. At first it would just be a sudden, shooting pain from my hip down the side of my leg only rarely, then it was more frequent, but overall less sharp. Now I can't even sleep on my side because it causes too much pain. I've taken boatloads of ibuprophen, etc. and I even went to a doctor who gave me a cortisone injection, but that just helped for a couple weeks and then it came back. This really frustrates me, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life with it, but I don't feel there's much I can do.

Comment from: kaygeed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am a 63 year old female. I've had sciatica for several years and thought that this might be an off shoot from it. My right leg-from hip to below the knee hurts 24/7. Sleeping is out of the question! I haven't had a full night's sleep in months. I've had the Cortisone shot and it helped for about a minute. The outside of my knee feels like the tendons will SNAP when I go upstairs. I am an avid walker and this has really impacted my quality of life.

Comment from: SS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had two falls on the ice here in good ol' icy Colorado. Blew a disc, not bad enough for surgery. After that therapy ended, fell on left hip, yes, on ice! Can't sleep on that side anymore and I can't cross my legs Indian style anymore. Can't take anti-inflammatory, heart attack three years ago. Walk 2-4 miles a day for work in a hospital, lots of stairs. Second round of therapy, he suggests injections, but they didn't work for my disc. Have a 13 year old and this is so unfair that I can't even get down on the floor with him or take walks to the park. Have to take a bit of vicodin just to sleep. Crazy!

Comment from: dawn48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I'm 48 years old and 6 years ago I had right hip replacement, I had severe osteoarthritis with bone on bone, it was the best surgery I ever had, but now I have arthritis forming in left hip with the burning pain in top of thigh and pain when sitting, but the x-rays show good joint space and very little arthritis but my hip gives way on me too. The Dr just put me on a sleep medication/anxiety and mobic (antinflammatory which I can't take because it causes severe dizziness and stomach pain) I don't want to start taking 800 mg of Ibuprophen like I used to.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?