Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a full knee replacement two years ago. I did very well, found I could walk normal again and was very happy with my new knee. I started getting unbearable pain on the side of my hip whenever I walked or put pressure on this side. I went to the doctor and was told it was bursitis. Needless to say, I am so sad to have gone through the knee replacement and now have this pain.

Comment from: therese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had bursitis since i was a child did not know what was until a few ago. I seeked medical treatment it is the worse pain I think anybody could have. even with treatment it is still very painful.

Comment from: mammac04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 27-year-old female. I am a stay-at-mom of four. I started having right hip pain with my second child and thought it to be from the pregnancy, as it went away after the delivery. I have always been a very active person. I was in the military and had problems with bursitis. It was only two months ago I was diagnosed with severe hip bursitis in my right hip. Because of the pain I cannot do anything. I had to quit both my jobs -- as a waitress and a gymnastics instructor. I have a very hard time doing my daily tasks let alone getting out of bed. I have had no relief from the pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have hip bursitis in both hips and have had two shots in each since it developed more than a year ago. Sometimes the shot is effective, and sometimes it isn't. Sleeping is horrible, as both sides are involved. Ironically, I wake up with pain in my knee on the side I am sleeping on. I guess from pressing on the bursa while sleeping, the pain radiates. I alternate usage of Advil, Aleve, Celebrex (which did little), Flexeril (which does little) and Tylenol. I have had three rehab sessions and have not seen much improvement. I love to walk, but I know that aggravates it.

Comment from: Sandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a 42-year-old female who has been struggling with hip pain for many years but it is steadily getting worse. Sleeping is a nightmare. It hurts to lay on the "bad" hip, but when I lay on the other side, I still get pain. It's not at first but after about 10 minutes or so, it feels like the hip is being stretched. I take prescribed pain killers and sleeping pills or I would never get any sleep. I teach preschool and one of the "hazards" is sitting on the floor or little chairs. Sitting cross-legged is the worst!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed with hip bursitis when I was 17. I tried physical therapy and have had no luck. I can't sleep on my right side -- the affected side -- I can't sit criss-crossed on the floor, and I have a very hard time walking for long periods.

Comment from: Trackwa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am a 40-year-old female and have had chronic hip pain for more than four years. I have been diagnosed with chronic hip bursitis. I have had two Cortisone injections, both of which did not work. I've had physical therapy, which did nothing. I am waiting to have another injection. If this fails, he will operate. I am now unable to walk at a normal pace. I am in constant pain and take painkillers every four hours, but they do not take the pain away. I cannot put all my weight on my left leg and have to sit down to get dressed or put shoes on. I cannot sit for long periods or lie on my left side. I cannot sit cross-legged or lean toward my left side. I cannot swim or exercise. I am in constant pain day and night.

Comment from: Someobody19, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am only 18, and I have just been diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had pain in my left hip for as long as I can remember and have spent several hundred dollars on orthotics and other "treatments." I am a retired gymnast and now I am a gymnastics coach. I have taken so much ibuprofen and Tylenol over the years that it doesn't even work anymore. The doctor says I may have it for the rest of my life, and since pain meds don't work, I'm pretty much screwed. Because of my job, I can't let it rest either. I'm in excruciating pain almost constantly. Sucks to be me.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?