Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I too have hip bursitis. I started having pain which I attribute to gardening, stooping, stretching over beds etc. and it has just grown worse. I went to a reputable orthopedic Dr. who X-rayed to determine that it is bursitis. He gave me a cortisone shot which helped for about a month or so, then slowly the pain returned. I did the few exercises from online sites. Take Aleve, which works best for me. One about every other day. Now, it is very painful and it radiates down my thigh and to my knee. I will go back very soon. (Dr. also said to do Yoga but I already do the Gym and so I haven't tried it). Not a great way to start out being a senior. But sure could be worse.

Comment from: CR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I am a 59 female I had a left total hip replacement in 2010 and I still have pain. I was cut in the front rather then in the back which is not done too often. My doctor said that the pain I have is due to where he cut me since it was so near the muscle. I continued to have pain, so I went to a different doctor and he said I have bursitis so he gave me some prednisone and wants me back in a month. said if this don't work we would consider an injection which I am not real keen on doing. I can't go up or down stairs, cannot sleep on that side and have pain all through my hip area and down my leg. I tried to go to warm water exercises as much as possible. We sill see how this medication will work an maybe I will be able to walk right again and do more thing painlessly.

Comment from: Bassettgal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

My pain started when I was 17. It was in my right hip, the same spot where my Mom was suffering pain from a recent car accident, so I used to joke that it was sympathy pains. Unfortunately, a couple years later the ache got so bad that it was waking me up at night, and it was in both hips. Anytime I tried to turn to the right (something that happened a lot at work), the right joint would pop. The morning following a particularly busy day at work, I attempted to stand up to use the restroom and actually screamed because the intensity of the pain startled me. I'm 26 now and I've had that same experience a handful of times since, the most notable of which was the morning after a PT test, shortly after I joined the army. The pain was so intense that I can really only describe it as a sharp ache--it felt like a sharp jab, only it spanned from my knees, up the outside of my thighs, and then into my lower back. This was after surviving basic training with only very tolerable symptoms. This is when I was diagnosed, and nearly 5 years later, 4 of which I was on either celebrex or feldene, and another where my specialist tried ultrasound guided injections, I have a referral to pain management to try and determine why this is so chronic in someone my age, and what treatments might help without threatening either my kidneys (NSAID's) or eyesight (long term or high dose steroid treatment can cause cateracts). I want a solution that allows me to stay in the Army...I LOVE it.

Comment from: jimmy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

About two years ago I overworked my hip going up and down stairs. I could walk fifty steps and my hip and leg would develop severe pain. I could stop and rest for a minute and pain would stop. Dr. said it was bursitis. Two shots 30 days apart and it was gone. I was playing golf and was cart path only. I walked more than normal and hip started hurting. I pushed myself and it became very painful. Rest for a minute and it felt better. I continued to walk and my right leg became numb. I had no feeling at all. It was difficult to walk. The numbness was scary.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was recently diagnosed with hip bursitis. I am able to control the pain during the daytime with Aleve, but nights are very difficult. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin, which has been used recently for sciatic pain in the hope it would help with the nerve pain. It doesn't help with nerve pain, but a wonderful side effect is that I can finally sleep a whole night through. It has few side effects and my doctor says it is fine to continue using it if it helps me sleep. Next, I will try acupuncture.

Comment from: gpennicox, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My pain was in the groin / lower abdomen area, and it got so severe I was hysterical with the pain. A visit to the ER and prescription for narcotic pain pills were followed by a visit to the orthopedist several days later. A cortisone injection healed the problem – 1 ½ years ago. Now, the pain seems to be back, and I sure don't want to get another painful injection.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?