Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Bassettgal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

My pain started when I was 17. It was in my right hip, the same spot where my Mom was suffering pain from a recent car accident, so I used to joke that it was sympathy pains. Unfortunately, a couple years later the ache got so bad that it was waking me up at night, and it was in both hips. Anytime I tried to turn to the right (something that happened a lot at work), the right joint would pop. The morning following a particularly busy day at work, I attempted to stand up to use the restroom and actually screamed because the intensity of the pain startled me. I'm 26 now and I've had that same experience a handful of times since, the most notable of which was the morning after a PT test, shortly after I joined the army. The pain was so intense that I can really only describe it as a sharp ache--it felt like a sharp jab, only it spanned from my knees, up the outside of my thighs, and then into my lower back. This was after surviving basic training with only very tolerable symptoms. This is when I was diagnosed, and nearly 5 years later, 4 of which I was on either celebrex or feldene, and another where my specialist tried ultrasound guided injections, I have a referral to pain management to try and determine why this is so chronic in someone my age, and what treatments might help without threatening either my kidneys (NSAID's) or eyesight (long term or high dose steroid treatment can cause cateracts). I want a solution that allows me to stay in the Army...I LOVE it.

Comment from: jimmy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

About two years ago I overworked my hip going up and down stairs. I could walk fifty steps and my hip and leg would develop severe pain. I could stop and rest for a minute and pain would stop. Dr. said it was bursitis. Two shots 30 days apart and it was gone. I was playing golf and was cart path only. I walked more than normal and hip started hurting. I pushed myself and it became very painful. Rest for a minute and it felt better. I continued to walk and my right leg became numb. I had no feeling at all. It was difficult to walk. The numbness was scary.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was recently diagnosed with hip bursitis. I am able to control the pain during the daytime with Aleve, but nights are very difficult. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin, which has been used recently for sciatic pain in the hope it would help with the nerve pain. It doesn't help with nerve pain, but a wonderful side effect is that I can finally sleep a whole night through. It has few side effects and my doctor says it is fine to continue using it if it helps me sleep. Next, I will try acupuncture.

Comment from: gpennicox, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My pain was in the groin / lower abdomen area, and it got so severe I was hysterical with the pain. A visit to the ER and prescription for narcotic pain pills were followed by a visit to the orthopedist several days later. A cortisone injection healed the problem – 1 ½ years ago. Now, the pain seems to be back, and I sure don't want to get another painful injection.

Comment from: heart pt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I'm a 45-year-old female and recently had double bypass heart surgery. I'm now going through cardiac rehab. I think I have bursitis from exercising on my bicycle. I have it in my left hip, and sometimes in my right. I'm afraid I won't be able to take medication due to my heart surgery. I'm wondering if there's a way to get rid of the pain naturally. I never had this before the surgery.

Comment from: Me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have had right hip bursitis since I was 13 from a snowboarding accident. I am now 23 and have had two surgeries and a handful of cortisone injections. I feel like nothing works. Sleeping is a nightmare – I'm having a hard time with new doctors and getting help with my pain. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go to a pain clinic to get pain medicine.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: April 05

I had hip bursitis, which was treated with a cortisone injection. Immediately I was cured. No more night pain or pain after sitting, climbing hills, or stairs. When the pain was really bad, I found that lying on my back was the only way I could get relief. It affected my groin, hip, knees, and ankles. However, I also found that the pain was always worse after a sitting for a long time. I found it odd that even when I tried to sleep on my good side, the pain was worse. However, when I walked for some time the pain eased. Sleep for the whole night during this period was impossible. I suggest that anyone who has this should try using a hard chair. Always avoid soft chairs or mattresses. I hated sleeping away from home. My wish is that the bursitis does not return. I'm very thankful for my doctor.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?