Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: MEGAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 63 year old female. Felt slight pain in hip three months ago. Had x-ray as history of arthritis in family. X-ray was ok. My doctor said it might be Myosits, Neuritis or Bursitis. I had and still have such severe pain that I can hardly walk. Sometimes the pain shoots down to the buttock. I find it difficult to walk when I stand from a sitting position and sometimes very painful if I try to climb a couple of steps, also getting in and out of car can be a nightmare. I was prescribed Brufen, they give me some relief. My doctor suggested I should try physio. The Physiotherapist diagnosed Bursitis after pressing on my side. She gave me some laser treatment, told me to rest, also to continue with brufen. Then I had an appointment with another Physiotherapist. After describing symptoms to her, she also said Bursitis, gave me laser and ultrasound treatment and a set of exercises to do twice daily which made the pain even worse. The initial Physio told me to use an ice pack for 10 minutes twice daily - she has considerably more experience than the second Physio which I attended. I have had only two sessions so far. Can anyone tell me if Bursitis can be cured or not? I had gained about a stone weight over the winter months, which certainly didn't help, plus the fact that I had virtually no exercise due to the frost and snow for a couple of months. I would try anything to get rid of the pain.

Comment from: mimithegr8, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 73-year-old female and have had hip bursitis for a little more than six months. I first noticed excruciating pain when ascending stairs and when sitting for extended periods. (I crochet a lot). Cortisone shots lasted about four weeks. I am on my second injection, and I start physical therapy next week. Sleeping on my left side is virtually impossible. Since I have a 45-year history of cardiac disease (two valve replacements and a pacemaker), my doctor does not want to give me anymore cortisone. Being on a blood thinner, I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs. I am not overweight, so I don't know why I have bursitis. I hope therapy helps.

Comment from: dlh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 34 years old and just moved to New Mexico. The day after I arrived my left hip knee and ankle were in such pain I could not get up to go to the restroom even. I had a lot of pain through the holidays on the opposite side and my doctor and the ER doctor told me it was minor arthritis, prescribed me vicodin and percocet and sent me on my way. Neither of the pain meds worked. With this recent flare I went to an orthopedic doctor, and he quickly said bursitis and gout. What a joy that was to hear. At least I know what it is now. For those that are having trouble sleeping, I understand totally, and have found Ambien to be quite helpful! It doesn't make me any drowsier than normal the next day, and provides at least a few hours of much needed sleep!

Comment from: ZARA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have suffered with bursitis for just over a year I have had 4 cortisone injections so far, and no relief. The injections caused worse pain for about 3 days after getting injections. I can't sleep I can't walk far and my back is very painful as well. I also feel the pain going across the other hip. I have to take a couple of days off work when I get the injections which I am not happy with. The doctor at the hospital just keeps saying the injections should work and they don't .So what can I do about this as I am so tired and starting to feel really run down and depressed as I cant workout and I feel I am putting on a lot of weight which is making me more depressed.

Comment from: MS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I'm a 53-year old (soon to be 54) female. My doctor thinks I may have bursitis in my left hip but I have not had an MRI done. My left hip has been acting up for over a year now and I also have the occasional sciatica acting up on the right side. I work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weight training). I also take a boxing fitness classes on Sundays. I have had to lighten up on my lower body strength training as that seems to aggravate my bursitis and had to stop running. The elliptical doesn't seem to aggravate it as much. I occasionally take Tylenol (only when the pain is unbearable) and have trouble sleeping on my left side at times. It really hurts when I stand from a sitting position and of course, I have a desk job. I refuse to stop exercising and I really don't want cortisone shots or steroids. My doc had put me on a 2-week steroid RX and it helped temporarily but I'm pretty anti meds unless it's absolutely necessary. I finally went to an acupuncturist last Wednesday and it seemed to help after one treatment. I am continuing with twice weekly for a month, then once a month and a maintenance program. I'm looking forward to my second treatment on Saturday. The day before I went to see the acupuncturist, my hip was extremely painful. For those of you who may have tried other conventional methods, without success, you may want to consider acupuncture. It seems to have helped greatly.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?