Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: dlh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 34 years old and just moved to New Mexico. The day after I arrived my left hip knee and ankle were in such pain I could not get up to go to the restroom even. I had a lot of pain through the holidays on the opposite side and my doctor and the ER doctor told me it was minor arthritis, prescribed me vicodin and percocet and sent me on my way. Neither of the pain meds worked. With this recent flare I went to an orthopedic doctor, and he quickly said bursitis and gout. What a joy that was to hear. At least I know what it is now. For those that are having trouble sleeping, I understand totally, and have found Ambien to be quite helpful! It doesn't make me any drowsier than normal the next day, and provides at least a few hours of much needed sleep!

Comment from: ZARA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have suffered with bursitis for just over a year I have had 4 cortisone injections so far, and no relief. The injections caused worse pain for about 3 days after getting injections. I can't sleep I can't walk far and my back is very painful as well. I also feel the pain going across the other hip. I have to take a couple of days off work when I get the injections which I am not happy with. The doctor at the hospital just keeps saying the injections should work and they don't .So what can I do about this as I am so tired and starting to feel really run down and depressed as I cant workout and I feel I am putting on a lot of weight which is making me more depressed.

Comment from: MS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I'm a 53-year old (soon to be 54) female. My doctor thinks I may have bursitis in my left hip but I have not had an MRI done. My left hip has been acting up for over a year now and I also have the occasional sciatica acting up on the right side. I work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weight training). I also take a boxing fitness classes on Sundays. I have had to lighten up on my lower body strength training as that seems to aggravate my bursitis and had to stop running. The elliptical doesn't seem to aggravate it as much. I occasionally take Tylenol (only when the pain is unbearable) and have trouble sleeping on my left side at times. It really hurts when I stand from a sitting position and of course, I have a desk job. I refuse to stop exercising and I really don't want cortisone shots or steroids. My doc had put me on a 2-week steroid RX and it helped temporarily but I'm pretty anti meds unless it's absolutely necessary. I finally went to an acupuncturist last Wednesday and it seemed to help after one treatment. I am continuing with twice weekly for a month, then once a month and a maintenance program. I'm looking forward to my second treatment on Saturday. The day before I went to see the acupuncturist, my hip was extremely painful. For those of you who may have tried other conventional methods, without success, you may want to consider acupuncture. It seems to have helped greatly.

Comment from: Lin W, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 51 year old female who had an MRI last week and was just diagnosed today with bursitis in the hip. I agree that it is the worst pain I have ever had! After sitting for a long period of time, I go to get up and am in excruciating pain, barely able to walk for quite a few minutes. Today I received a cortisone injection and am hopeful this helps do the trick, although I am concerned that this may be a chronic condition.

Comment from: Tiger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had lower back problems for years but 6 months ago I started to have a serious problem with my left hip. An x-ray showed that I had issues with my lower back and my right hip but showed my left hip as pretty okay. My doctor at the time told me there was nothing more she could do and that it would clear up in 6 weeks! I was not happy with her attitude and after a discussion I was sent to see a consultant who sent me for an MRI and found the bursitis. Two months later I have had 2 sessions of acupuncture and have another 2 to go, but I have been told this has not been the success they had hoped for and that I will most probably have to have the steroid injection. I have to go at least another 6 weeks before I can have this injection and to be quite honest I am so sick of being in pain I would prefer to stop the acupuncture and see what effect the injection has. I have accepted this is going to be a way of life for me until I am old enough and my hip is seriously bad enough for them to give me a new hip.

Comment from: KathieA0714, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Out of nowhere my hip began to hurt because of the bursitis, I also developed a bit of a bump. I received a cortisone injection and the pain is manageable, but I'm looking for exercised that will help alleviate the pain.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?