Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Depo56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered with hip pain now for about a year. My left side was so painful it was difficult to climb stairs or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has been very helpful. If the bursa is inflamed it affects the muscles and if the skeleton is misaligned the muscles are affected as well. Step one was to have my pelvis back into position. Then the muscles can function as they should. Ice packing the bursa (area that's painful) relieved the pain for me.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bursitis of the left hip, had cortisone several times (so painful) with little relief. I have pain so intense and my range of motion is nearly gone, walking in baby steps. When I try to stretch or walk the pain is so sharp at times it literally gives me fright of flight.

Comment from: eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started off having sciatic hip problems that then went down to sides of legs. I have bursitis in both sides of my leg I can't lay on either side at night; it's agony and burns. As long as I sleep on my back I'm ok, but I get fed up with that, and then think I will try sides for a few hours, but the pain is unbearable. It's the same first thing in morning. I do stretching exercises morning and night and after doing them in the morning it seems to help, and I am ok during the day, so it's worse at night sleeping and first thing in morning.

Comment from: glenncrna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 66-year-old active male. I've had left hip pain for two years. My doctor has settled on a diagnosis of hip bursitis. I cannot sleep on my left side. I can swim and bicycle but cannot walk a block, do steps, or cross my left leg over right leg without pain. To date, I have had one steroid injection, a 30-day trial of Celebrex. . . No help. I take 400 mg ibuprofen every third night to get some sleep.

Comment from: BEdwards, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had hip pain for about 20 years. I have never gone to the doctor (until today) because I actually blamed it on child birth and ballet dancing when I was younger. Today I discovered that I have bursitis bilaterally, along with sacroiliac joint dysfunction. I've been living in pain for years for no reason. Guess I should have gone in earlier. I have recently put on more weight, but my pain was the same when I was 40 pounds lighter. I got a shot of cortisone today in my right hip and decided I'd see if that would work. I will start going to physical therapy. I'm hoping this works.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have had bursitis in my right hip for one year. The pain is so bad at night. No matter which way I turn, the pain stays with me. I was told to lose weight. It still didn't work. I have had all the tests, painkillers, and injections.

Comment from: Glee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had extremely painful bursitis in my right hip for two years now. Sleeping was impossible. Last fall, I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the bursa, remove bone spurs and mend two torn tendons in my hip. I think the tendons tore because of repeated cortisone shots there. Eight months after surgery, and lots of physical therapy (PT), it still hurts. Walking, stairs, sitting too long and lying on either side are still a problem. The doctor said I should have had open surgery rather than arthroscopic, he miscalled it. I am trying natural anti-inflammatories.

Comment from: punkin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 54 years young and suffer from left hip bursitis. Sleeping on my left side is impossible; although when sleeping on my right side, the left still hurts just the same. It radiates down my front thigh and across the top of my knee. I took a fall directly on my right hip back in September of 2010 and wonder if this is what caused this or if I had it before and just aggravated it. Whatever the cause, it is worse every day. Stretching does help a lot. I have not tried any injections; I'm too scared of the needle.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?