Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: mimithegr8, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 73-year-old female and have had hip bursitis for a little more than six months. I first noticed excruciating pain when ascending stairs and when sitting for extended periods. (I crochet a lot). Cortisone shots lasted about four weeks. I am on my second injection, and I start physical therapy next week. Sleeping on my left side is virtually impossible. Since I have a 45-year history of cardiac disease (two valve replacements and a pacemaker), my doctor does not want to give me anymore cortisone. Being on a blood thinner, I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs. I am not overweight, so I don't know why I have bursitis. I hope therapy helps.

Comment from: dlh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 34 years old and just moved to New Mexico. The day after I arrived my left hip knee and ankle were in such pain I could not get up to go to the restroom even. I had a lot of pain through the holidays on the opposite side and my doctor and the ER doctor told me it was minor arthritis, prescribed me vicodin and percocet and sent me on my way. Neither of the pain meds worked. With this recent flare I went to an orthopedic doctor, and he quickly said bursitis and gout. What a joy that was to hear. At least I know what it is now. For those that are having trouble sleeping, I understand totally, and have found Ambien to be quite helpful! It doesn't make me any drowsier than normal the next day, and provides at least a few hours of much needed sleep!

Comment from: ZARA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have suffered with bursitis for just over a year I have had 4 cortisone injections so far, and no relief. The injections caused worse pain for about 3 days after getting injections. I can't sleep I can't walk far and my back is very painful as well. I also feel the pain going across the other hip. I have to take a couple of days off work when I get the injections which I am not happy with. The doctor at the hospital just keeps saying the injections should work and they don't .So what can I do about this as I am so tired and starting to feel really run down and depressed as I cant workout and I feel I am putting on a lot of weight which is making me more depressed.

Comment from: MS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I'm a 53-year old (soon to be 54) female. My doctor thinks I may have bursitis in my left hip but I have not had an MRI done. My left hip has been acting up for over a year now and I also have the occasional sciatica acting up on the right side. I work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weight training). I also take a boxing fitness classes on Sundays. I have had to lighten up on my lower body strength training as that seems to aggravate my bursitis and had to stop running. The elliptical doesn't seem to aggravate it as much. I occasionally take Tylenol (only when the pain is unbearable) and have trouble sleeping on my left side at times. It really hurts when I stand from a sitting position and of course, I have a desk job. I refuse to stop exercising and I really don't want cortisone shots or steroids. My doc had put me on a 2-week steroid RX and it helped temporarily but I'm pretty anti meds unless it's absolutely necessary. I finally went to an acupuncturist last Wednesday and it seemed to help after one treatment. I am continuing with twice weekly for a month, then once a month and a maintenance program. I'm looking forward to my second treatment on Saturday. The day before I went to see the acupuncturist, my hip was extremely painful. For those of you who may have tried other conventional methods, without success, you may want to consider acupuncture. It seems to have helped greatly.

Comment from: Lin W, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 51 year old female who had an MRI last week and was just diagnosed today with bursitis in the hip. I agree that it is the worst pain I have ever had! After sitting for a long period of time, I go to get up and am in excruciating pain, barely able to walk for quite a few minutes. Today I received a cortisone injection and am hopeful this helps do the trick, although I am concerned that this may be a chronic condition.

Comment from: KathieA0714, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Out of nowhere my hip began to hurt because of the bursitis, I also developed a bit of a bump. I received a cortisone injection and the pain is manageable, but I'm looking for exercised that will help alleviate the pain.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?