Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: ZARA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have suffered with bursitis for just over a year I have had 4 cortisone injections so far, and no relief. The injections caused worse pain for about 3 days after getting injections. I can't sleep I can't walk far and my back is very painful as well. I also feel the pain going across the other hip. I have to take a couple of days off work when I get the injections which I am not happy with. The doctor at the hospital just keeps saying the injections should work and they don't .So what can I do about this as I am so tired and starting to feel really run down and depressed as I cant workout and I feel I am putting on a lot of weight which is making me more depressed.

Comment from: MS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I'm a 53-year old (soon to be 54) female. My doctor thinks I may have bursitis in my left hip but I have not had an MRI done. My left hip has been acting up for over a year now and I also have the occasional sciatica acting up on the right side. I work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weight training). I also take a boxing fitness classes on Sundays. I have had to lighten up on my lower body strength training as that seems to aggravate my bursitis and had to stop running. The elliptical doesn't seem to aggravate it as much. I occasionally take Tylenol (only when the pain is unbearable) and have trouble sleeping on my left side at times. It really hurts when I stand from a sitting position and of course, I have a desk job. I refuse to stop exercising and I really don't want cortisone shots or steroids. My doc had put me on a 2-week steroid RX and it helped temporarily but I'm pretty anti meds unless it's absolutely necessary. I finally went to an acupuncturist last Wednesday and it seemed to help after one treatment. I am continuing with twice weekly for a month, then once a month and a maintenance program. I'm looking forward to my second treatment on Saturday. The day before I went to see the acupuncturist, my hip was extremely painful. For those of you who may have tried other conventional methods, without success, you may want to consider acupuncture. It seems to have helped greatly.

Comment from: Lin W, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 51 year old female who had an MRI last week and was just diagnosed today with bursitis in the hip. I agree that it is the worst pain I have ever had! After sitting for a long period of time, I go to get up and am in excruciating pain, barely able to walk for quite a few minutes. Today I received a cortisone injection and am hopeful this helps do the trick, although I am concerned that this may be a chronic condition.

Comment from: KathieA0714, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Out of nowhere my hip began to hurt because of the bursitis, I also developed a bit of a bump. I received a cortisone injection and the pain is manageable, but I'm looking for exercised that will help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 34 year old female who in February weighed 306lbs, down 70lbs since then. It seems like I have had more problems developing since I have lost the weight. I was diagnosed with bursitis about a month ago now have been on Vimovo 500mg twice a day and it isn't helping. I don't have insurance to go do the physical therapy and am scared to get injections, so afraid of gaining the weight back. I am now depressed on top of it and not quite sure what to do. It hurts to walk, lay down and even sit, I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Anita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had terrible pain in my left hip and my doctor could not find the cause. My girlfriend who is a nurse said it was bursitis and she cured hers with B 12 injections I did also and have no more pain almost overnight!

Comment from: goldenager, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My hip pain from hip bursitis begins after I have driven about an half hour - my right hip begins to hurt and gets worse the longer I drive. I have had to cancel trips because I know I can't make it. I have tired all sorts of cushions in the car. My doctor says, "Don't drive." He says it is bursitis. He told me to exercise. So far I have received no treatment.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?