Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have suffered since a running injury 8 months ago. Recently the pain has been so extreme in my left hip that I've been waking at night to take painkillers. I read a few days ago that a lady had taken krill oil for hip bursitis with success. I was a little cynical but after only one day of taking the oil I am now pain free. It is nothing short of a miracle.

Comment from: H ip hop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have pain in left hip because of bursitis. Left leg is swollen below the knee. Leg is hard to the touch.

Comment from: jenjoeysmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

About a month ago I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I had the cortisone shot 2 weeks ago. It helped me for about 1 week. Now I'm back to having pain again but worse. Before I had pain when I was sitting, now I have pain when I'm standing, sitting, and walking.

Comment from: mhoward590, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had several back surgeries since 1997, so I have always somewhat had pain, so when my hips and legs started hurting I just figured my back was acting up. But to my surprise it was something else. I stand on my feet for 12 hour days and some weeks I work 7 days, been doing this four years, but I won"t be any more because I am going to get well and take time to heal my body. Bursitis is no joke, the pain as you know is not fun. Today is the re beginning of no pain or limit pain so I can have a better quality of life. Bring on the treatment.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Today I finally went to my general physician and was told I have hip bursitis as I can't move my right leg at all due to the pain. It is like its locked and I have noticed that my left side is now starting flare with the same symptoms which is getting more intense. I haven't told my G.P about my left leg as I thought it was from limping.

Comment from: Depo56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered with hip pain now for about a year. My left side was so painful it was difficult to climb stairs or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has been very helpful. If the bursa is inflamed it affects the muscles and if the skeleton is misaligned the muscles are affected as well. Step one was to have my pelvis back into position. Then the muscles can function as they should. Ice packing the bursa (area that's painful) relieved the pain for me.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bursitis of the left hip, had cortisone several times (so painful) with little relief. I have pain so intense and my range of motion is nearly gone, walking in baby steps. When I try to stretch or walk the pain is so sharp at times it literally gives me fright of flight.

Comment from: eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started off having sciatic hip problems that then went down to sides of legs. I have bursitis in both sides of my leg I can't lay on either side at night; it's agony and burns. As long as I sleep on my back I'm ok, but I get fed up with that, and then think I will try sides for a few hours, but the pain is unbearable. It's the same first thing in morning. I do stretching exercises morning and night and after doing them in the morning it seems to help, and I am ok during the day, so it's worse at night sleeping and first thing in morning.

Comment from: glenncrna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 66-year-old active male. I've had left hip pain for two years. My doctor has settled on a diagnosis of hip bursitis. I cannot sleep on my left side. I can swim and bicycle but cannot walk a block, do steps, or cross my left leg over right leg without pain. To date, I have had one steroid injection, a 30-day trial of Celebrex. . . No help. I take 400 mg ibuprofen every third night to get some sleep.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?