Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Jwb43, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I developed what I believe to be bursitis in both hips after a recent surgery. Then I had a second surgery and it got even worse. The pain is unbelievable. I have tried everything; acupuncture, massage, chiropractor, some physical therapy, stretching. I don't want to try the Cortizone shots yet because of all the side effects. It's so difficult to sleep, I have to lay flat on my back all night long. I can only sit for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Can stand for 10 or 15 minutes, I can only walk for a few minutes. I'm spending most of my life laying on my back and it's driving me crazy. I was exercising seven days a week before this and now I can't do anything. I have also tried lots of supplements like krill oil and apple cider vinegar. This week I am supposed to try some ozone injections. I don't think it's going to be pleasant but if it works it will be worth it.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

Developed Hip bursitis over two days of increasing pain. Pain caused spasms in thigh muscle to extent that walking was difficult, with pain extending to groin, knee, and down lower leg. Needed walker to get around. Can not take anti-inflammatory drugs due to blood thinner. Doctor prescribed one 30 sec hip stretching exercise done 4X10 times per day plus ice three times a day. Pain receded after 2 days. Almost normal after a week.

Comment from: jenjoeysmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

About a month ago I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I had the cortisone shot 2 weeks ago. It helped me for about 1 week. Now I'm back to having pain again but worse. Before I had pain when I was sitting, now I have pain when I'm standing, sitting, and walking.

Comment from: mhoward590, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had several back surgeries since 1997, so I have always somewhat had pain, so when my hips and legs started hurting I just figured my back was acting up. But to my surprise it was something else. I stand on my feet for 12 hour days and some weeks I work 7 days, been doing this four years, but I won"t be any more because I am going to get well and take time to heal my body. Bursitis is no joke, the pain as you know is not fun. Today is the re beginning of no pain or limit pain so I can have a better quality of life. Bring on the treatment.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Today I finally went to my general physician and was told I have hip bursitis as I can't move my right leg at all due to the pain. It is like its locked and I have noticed that my left side is now starting flare with the same symptoms which is getting more intense. I haven't told my G.P about my left leg as I thought it was from limping.

Comment from: Depo56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered with hip pain now for about a year. My left side was so painful it was difficult to climb stairs or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has been very helpful. If the bursa is inflamed it affects the muscles and if the skeleton is misaligned the muscles are affected as well. Step one was to have my pelvis back into position. Then the muscles can function as they should. Ice packing the bursa (area that's painful) relieved the pain for me.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bursitis of the left hip, had cortisone several times (so painful) with little relief. I have pain so intense and my range of motion is nearly gone, walking in baby steps. When I try to stretch or walk the pain is so sharp at times it literally gives me fright of flight.

Comment from: eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started off having sciatic hip problems that then went down to sides of legs. I have bursitis in both sides of my leg I can't lay on either side at night; it's agony and burns. As long as I sleep on my back I'm ok, but I get fed up with that, and then think I will try sides for a few hours, but the pain is unbearable. It's the same first thing in morning. I do stretching exercises morning and night and after doing them in the morning it seems to help, and I am ok during the day, so it's worse at night sleeping and first thing in morning.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?