Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have had bursitis in my right hip for one year. The pain is so bad at night. No matter which way I turn, the pain stays with me. I was told to lose weight. It still didn't work. I have had all the tests, painkillers, and injections.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had bursitis in my left hip for about two months now, and it hurts so bad I want to cry. I work in a factory and am on my feet for 10 hours a day, five days a week and eight hours on Saturdays. My doctor gives me injections, but they don't work anymore. He said it was my job, but you can't just quit your job, not these days. I am only 41, but I am overweight.

Comment from: Glee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had extremely painful bursitis in my right hip for two years now. Sleeping was impossible. Last fall, I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the bursa, remove bone spurs and mend two torn tendons in my hip. I think the tendons tore because of repeated cortisone shots there. Eight months after surgery, and lots of physical therapy (PT), it still hurts. Walking, stairs, sitting too long and lying on either side are still a problem. The doctor said I should have had open surgery rather than arthroscopic, he miscalled it. I am trying natural anti-inflammatories.

Comment from: punkin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 54 years young and suffer from left hip bursitis. Sleeping on my left side is impossible; although when sleeping on my right side, the left still hurts just the same. It radiates down my front thigh and across the top of my knee. I took a fall directly on my right hip back in September of 2010 and wonder if this is what caused this or if I had it before and just aggravated it. Whatever the cause, it is worse every day. Stretching does help a lot. I have not tried any injections; I'm too scared of the needle.

Comment from: MEGAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 63 year old female. Felt slight pain in hip three months ago. Had x-ray as history of arthritis in family. X-ray was ok. My doctor said it might be Myosits, Neuritis or Bursitis. I had and still have such severe pain that I can hardly walk. Sometimes the pain shoots down to the buttock. I find it difficult to walk when I stand from a sitting position and sometimes very painful if I try to climb a couple of steps, also getting in and out of car can be a nightmare. I was prescribed Brufen, they give me some relief. My doctor suggested I should try physio. The Physiotherapist diagnosed Bursitis after pressing on my side. She gave me some laser treatment, told me to rest, also to continue with brufen. Then I had an appointment with another Physiotherapist. After describing symptoms to her, she also said Bursitis, gave me laser and ultrasound treatment and a set of exercises to do twice daily which made the pain even worse. The initial Physio told me to use an ice pack for 10 minutes twice daily - she has considerably more experience than the second Physio which I attended. I have had only two sessions so far. Can anyone tell me if Bursitis can be cured or not? I had gained about a stone weight over the winter months, which certainly didn't help, plus the fact that I had virtually no exercise due to the frost and snow for a couple of months. I would try anything to get rid of the pain.

Comment from: mimithegr8, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 73-year-old female and have had hip bursitis for a little more than six months. I first noticed excruciating pain when ascending stairs and when sitting for extended periods. (I crochet a lot). Cortisone shots lasted about four weeks. I am on my second injection, and I start physical therapy next week. Sleeping on my left side is virtually impossible. Since I have a 45-year history of cardiac disease (two valve replacements and a pacemaker), my doctor does not want to give me anymore cortisone. Being on a blood thinner, I cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs. I am not overweight, so I don't know why I have bursitis. I hope therapy helps.

Comment from: dlh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am 34 years old and just moved to New Mexico. The day after I arrived my left hip knee and ankle were in such pain I could not get up to go to the restroom even. I had a lot of pain through the holidays on the opposite side and my doctor and the ER doctor told me it was minor arthritis, prescribed me vicodin and percocet and sent me on my way. Neither of the pain meds worked. With this recent flare I went to an orthopedic doctor, and he quickly said bursitis and gout. What a joy that was to hear. At least I know what it is now. For those that are having trouble sleeping, I understand totally, and have found Ambien to be quite helpful! It doesn't make me any drowsier than normal the next day, and provides at least a few hours of much needed sleep!

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?