Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: glenncrna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 66-year-old active male. I've had left hip pain for two years. My doctor has settled on a diagnosis of hip bursitis. I cannot sleep on my left side. I can swim and bicycle but cannot walk a block, do steps, or cross my left leg over right leg without pain. To date, I have had one steroid injection, a 30-day trial of Celebrex. . . No help. I take 400 mg ibuprofen every third night to get some sleep.

Comment from: eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started off having sciatic hip problems that then went down to sides of legs. I have bursitis in both sides of my leg I can't lay on either side at night; it's agony and burns. As long as I sleep on my back I'm ok, but I get fed up with that, and then think I will try sides for a few hours, but the pain is unbearable. It's the same first thing in morning. I do stretching exercises morning and night and after doing them in the morning it seems to help, and I am ok during the day, so it's worse at night sleeping and first thing in morning.

Comment from: BEdwards, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had hip pain for about 20 years. I have never gone to the doctor (until today) because I actually blamed it on child birth and ballet dancing when I was younger. Today I discovered that I have bursitis bilaterally, along with sacroiliac joint dysfunction. I've been living in pain for years for no reason. Guess I should have gone in earlier. I have recently put on more weight, but my pain was the same when I was 40 pounds lighter. I got a shot of cortisone today in my right hip and decided I'd see if that would work. I will start going to physical therapy. I'm hoping this works.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have had bursitis in my right hip for one year. The pain is so bad at night. No matter which way I turn, the pain stays with me. I was told to lose weight. It still didn't work. I have had all the tests, painkillers, and injections.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had bursitis in my left hip for about two months now, and it hurts so bad I want to cry. I work in a factory and am on my feet for 10 hours a day, five days a week and eight hours on Saturdays. My doctor gives me injections, but they don't work anymore. He said it was my job, but you can't just quit your job, not these days. I am only 41, but I am overweight.

Comment from: Glee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had extremely painful bursitis in my right hip for two years now. Sleeping was impossible. Last fall, I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the bursa, remove bone spurs and mend two torn tendons in my hip. I think the tendons tore because of repeated cortisone shots there. Eight months after surgery, and lots of physical therapy (PT), it still hurts. Walking, stairs, sitting too long and lying on either side are still a problem. The doctor said I should have had open surgery rather than arthroscopic, he miscalled it. I am trying natural anti-inflammatories.

Comment from: punkin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I am 54 years young and suffer from left hip bursitis. Sleeping on my left side is impossible; although when sleeping on my right side, the left still hurts just the same. It radiates down my front thigh and across the top of my knee. I took a fall directly on my right hip back in September of 2010 and wonder if this is what caused this or if I had it before and just aggravated it. Whatever the cause, it is worse every day. Stretching does help a lot. I have not tried any injections; I'm too scared of the needle.

Comment from: MEGAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am a 63 year old female. Felt slight pain in hip three months ago. Had x-ray as history of arthritis in family. X-ray was ok. My doctor said it might be Myosits, Neuritis or Bursitis. I had and still have such severe pain that I can hardly walk. Sometimes the pain shoots down to the buttock. I find it difficult to walk when I stand from a sitting position and sometimes very painful if I try to climb a couple of steps, also getting in and out of car can be a nightmare. I was prescribed Brufen, they give me some relief. My doctor suggested I should try physio. The Physiotherapist diagnosed Bursitis after pressing on my side. She gave me some laser treatment, told me to rest, also to continue with brufen. Then I had an appointment with another Physiotherapist. After describing symptoms to her, she also said Bursitis, gave me laser and ultrasound treatment and a set of exercises to do twice daily which made the pain even worse. The initial Physio told me to use an ice pack for 10 minutes twice daily - she has considerably more experience than the second Physio which I attended. I have had only two sessions so far. Can anyone tell me if Bursitis can be cured or not? I had gained about a stone weight over the winter months, which certainly didn't help, plus the fact that I had virtually no exercise due to the frost and snow for a couple of months. I would try anything to get rid of the pain.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?