Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Almost a year ago I had sudden onset of hip pain. After an x-ray, nothing showed, so I had a bone scan. An area around my femur showed but was not defined, followed by a CT scan, still no confirmed diagnosis. I had MRI which originally said no trochanteric bursitis, but 2nd MRI said it might by bursitis. I am in pain all the time, cannot lie on either side because of the pain in my right hip. It hurts to sit too long too. Driving my car is very difficult. I had cortisone injection with some relief, and have just started some physiotherapy, ultrasound and TENS with heat. Hope this helps, I`m not sure what else to do.

Comment from: carolinaloser, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 44 and have encountered the worse hip pain of my life. My doctor diagnosed me with bursitis of the outer hip. I received one cortisone shot with no relief as yet. Today the pain is in the inside of the hip it feels like. I'm almost in tears. I walked four miles today and think this aggravated it. I am overweight and hope by losing the weight I might see some results in reduced pain. I have fibromyalgia and this hip pain is much more severe than the fibromyalgia itself. It is pain like I've never felt.

Comment from: peni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have all the symptoms of bursitis. I ride my bike and I am always traveling and doing stretching exercise so I was surprise that I would have bursitis. The pain is on my right hip radiates to my butt and thighs and my groin area. It is a dull pain or stabbing pain or grinding pain and Motrin relieves it somewhat.

Comment from: Jwb43, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I developed what I believe to be bursitis in both hips after a recent surgery. Then I had a second surgery and it got even worse. The pain is unbelievable. I have tried everything; acupuncture, massage, chiropractor, some physical therapy, stretching. I don't want to try the Cortizone shots yet because of all the side effects. It's so difficult to sleep, I have to lay flat on my back all night long. I can only sit for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Can stand for 10 or 15 minutes, I can only walk for a few minutes. I'm spending most of my life laying on my back and it's driving me crazy. I was exercising seven days a week before this and now I can't do anything. I have also tried lots of supplements like krill oil and apple cider vinegar. This week I am supposed to try some ozone injections. I don't think it's going to be pleasant but if it works it will be worth it.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

Developed Hip bursitis over two days of increasing pain. Pain caused spasms in thigh muscle to extent that walking was difficult, with pain extending to groin, knee, and down lower leg. Needed walker to get around. Can not take anti-inflammatory drugs due to blood thinner. Doctor prescribed one 30 sec hip stretching exercise done 4X10 times per day plus ice three times a day. Pain receded after 2 days. Almost normal after a week.

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had pain in front of the hip near the groin area on my left side. Sometimes it radiates to the knee. Also I can feel a slight pain at the buttock area. I am not sure what the causes are. I can only recall that my left hip is often being knocked by the golf buggy seat barrier when I drive a golf cart on uneven or rough area of the course during a round of golf. I can feel the pain after each round. I never had a fall or a bad accident at all. I think it might be bursitis.

Comment from: Ramaben, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Since last about 10 years I have been suffering with clots in my left leg which took me to the hospital in 2007. I was admitted 3 times in the hospital. Today again I am suffering severe leg pain and due to my age of 90 years, doctor is avoiding heavy dose of medicines. I am not getting sleep since last 10 days.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?