Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Actormom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Today I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had pain in my left knee going up to my hip and down to my calves for a month. I have a high pain tolerance but this was getting to me. I waited for my regular visit to the doctor. I should have gone sooner. Massage and water aerobics didn't help me much. The doctor diagnosed it right away, gave me a Kenalog shot in the hip and put me on meloxicam. No exercise for 14 days to give my body a chance to heal.

Comment from: MeganK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was 16 when the doctor told me I had bursitis. One day I was running the mile and then it felt like my hip exploded. It started in my right hip but at the age of 17 it was in both hips and my left knee. I am now 25. Most days I cannot get out of bed or I have trouble standing, sitting, walking, and laying down. I have trouble basically doing anything that requires my hips to stay still or to move. I have had injections, physical therapy, and pills twice. They want me to go a third time but I realized the more I do these things the worse my hip gets. I don't have a normal life, I can't do things people my age are doing. I have gained excess amount of weight because I can barely move even with the little I eat. My nights are anything but restful.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

My hips started hurting after childbirth 14 years ago. Both hips progressively got worse. I had surgery on both hips, 8 weeks apart, and the pain honestly got better for about 2 years. Then, it came back with a vengeance. The surgeon went in and shaved the bursa again, both sides, but also had to remove scar tissue from the first two surgeries. Further, the cut a 'window' in my IT bands to relieve the constant pain and tightness. This second bout of surgeries only made it worse. I have been to clinic twice, I have had physical therapy, neuromuscular therapy, steroid injections, TENS, heat, ice, plasma replacement, and any other treatment you can think of. Pain medications only provide temporary help, sometimes not even at all. I sleep 1 to 3 hours per night and my pain is progressively getting worse. I have no quality of life and it is all I can do to make it through the work week. I would gladly accept any advice, clinical trial treatment, anything and everything, just to be normal again. This is so incredibly depressing and I can't see any relief in sight. The pain has now spread to my groin muscles, lower back, and about two months ago, the inner part of my knees popped out. I would do anything to get some relief. I can't continue to battle this constant pain.

Comment from: Lindsay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I spent the last 3.5 years in severe pain in my lower right abdomen and right hip. I took many, many ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs, x-rays, etc., and even a laparoscopy and still nothing! One day my physical therapist mentioned a labral tear. Never hearing of this, I looked it up and it fit a lot of my symptoms. I went to my doctor and through more specific tests, found out I have the hip trifecta. I have a large liberal tear, bursitis caused by the labral tear, and bone spurs. Finally, all the pain, the not being able to stand/sit/lay too long, the pain being in such a wide range of areas. If you"re having undiagnosed hip pain have your doctor check for a labral tear.

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain from hip bursitis certainly kept me awake, now I have on both sides. I had cortisone injections and it didn"t fizz on me, finally I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he injected Kenalog 40 and it took the pain away for almost a year. I go see him about every year and half, he said not all doctors are trained to put it in, be careful though, it freezes your leg for a few hours. I have somebody drive then help me into the apartment. What a relief!

Comment from: Tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I first had pain when I was around 12 years old and was told it was probably growing pains. I have always been very active, playing sports all my life. I just played through the pain and it usually gets better after I stretch out and just get moving. I was diagnosed in college with bursitis on left side. I played ball and I had to do my training in the pool when it flared up. I had 3 cortisone shots over the years but the pain always came back. I will not have any more. I take naproxen as needed. I cannot sleep on the left side and wake up many nights in severe pain and can"t move. I wake my husband and make him go get the naproxen. It also makes my back hurt and radiates down the whole leg. Sitting for long periods of time make it hurt terribly. I always take naproxen before plane trips. I am not very flexible on that side but just continue to run and play sports through the pain. I have learned to live with it. Try stretching, it actually helps loosen it up even though it really hurts.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?