Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have suffered since a running injury 8 months ago. Recently the pain has been so extreme in my left hip that I've been waking at night to take painkillers. I read a few days ago that a lady had taken krill oil for hip bursitis with success. I was a little cynical but after only one day of taking the oil I am now pain free. It is nothing short of a miracle.

Comment from: H ip hop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have pain in left hip because of bursitis. Left leg is swollen below the knee. Leg is hard to the touch.

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain from hip bursitis certainly kept me awake, now I have on both sides. I had cortisone injections and it didn"t fizz on me, finally I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he injected Kenalog 40 and it took the pain away for almost a year. I go see him about every year and half, he said not all doctors are trained to put it in, be careful though, it freezes your leg for a few hours. I have somebody drive then help me into the apartment. What a relief!

Comment from: Tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I first had pain when I was around 12 years old and was told it was probably growing pains. I have always been very active, playing sports all my life. I just played through the pain and it usually gets better after I stretch out and just get moving. I was diagnosed in college with bursitis on left side. I played ball and I had to do my training in the pool when it flared up. I had 3 cortisone shots over the years but the pain always came back. I will not have any more. I take naproxen as needed. I cannot sleep on the left side and wake up many nights in severe pain and can"t move. I wake my husband and make him go get the naproxen. It also makes my back hurt and radiates down the whole leg. Sitting for long periods of time make it hurt terribly. I always take naproxen before plane trips. I am not very flexible on that side but just continue to run and play sports through the pain. I have learned to live with it. Try stretching, it actually helps loosen it up even though it really hurts.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Almost a year ago I had sudden onset of hip pain. After an x-ray, nothing showed, so I had a bone scan. An area around my femur showed but was not defined, followed by a CT scan, still no confirmed diagnosis. I had MRI which originally said no trochanteric bursitis, but 2nd MRI said it might by bursitis. I am in pain all the time, cannot lie on either side because of the pain in my right hip. It hurts to sit too long too. Driving my car is very difficult. I had cortisone injection with some relief, and have just started some physiotherapy, ultrasound and TENS with heat. Hope this helps, I`m not sure what else to do.

Comment from: carolinaloser, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 44 and have encountered the worse hip pain of my life. My doctor diagnosed me with bursitis of the outer hip. I received one cortisone shot with no relief as yet. Today the pain is in the inside of the hip it feels like. I'm almost in tears. I walked four miles today and think this aggravated it. I am overweight and hope by losing the weight I might see some results in reduced pain. I have fibromyalgia and this hip pain is much more severe than the fibromyalgia itself. It is pain like I've never felt.

Comment from: peni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have all the symptoms of bursitis. I ride my bike and I am always traveling and doing stretching exercise so I was surprise that I would have bursitis. The pain is on my right hip radiates to my butt and thighs and my groin area. It is a dull pain or stabbing pain or grinding pain and Motrin relieves it somewhat.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?