Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Tiger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had lower back problems for years but 6 months ago I started to have a serious problem with my left hip. An x-ray showed that I had issues with my lower back and my right hip but showed my left hip as pretty okay. My doctor at the time told me there was nothing more she could do and that it would clear up in 6 weeks! I was not happy with her attitude and after a discussion I was sent to see a consultant who sent me for an MRI and found the bursitis. Two months later I have had 2 sessions of acupuncture and have another 2 to go, but I have been told this has not been the success they had hoped for and that I will most probably have to have the steroid injection. I have to go at least another 6 weeks before I can have this injection and to be quite honest I am so sick of being in pain I would prefer to stop the acupuncture and see what effect the injection has. I have accepted this is going to be a way of life for me until I am old enough and my hip is seriously bad enough for them to give me a new hip.

Comment from: carolinaloser, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 44 and have encountered the worse hip pain of my life. My doctor diagnosed me with bursitis of the outer hip. I received one cortisone shot with no relief as yet. Today the pain is in the inside of the hip it feels like. I'm almost in tears. I walked four miles today and think this aggravated it. I am overweight and hope by losing the weight I might see some results in reduced pain. I have fibromyalgia and this hip pain is much more severe than the fibromyalgia itself. It is pain like I've never felt.

Comment from: Jwb43, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I developed what I believe to be bursitis in both hips after a recent surgery. Then I had a second surgery and it got even worse. The pain is unbelievable. I have tried everything; acupuncture, massage, chiropractor, some physical therapy, stretching. I don't want to try the Cortizone shots yet because of all the side effects. It's so difficult to sleep, I have to lay flat on my back all night long. I can only sit for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Can stand for 10 or 15 minutes, I can only walk for a few minutes. I'm spending most of my life laying on my back and it's driving me crazy. I was exercising seven days a week before this and now I can't do anything. I have also tried lots of supplements like krill oil and apple cider vinegar. This week I am supposed to try some ozone injections. I don't think it's going to be pleasant but if it works it will be worth it.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

Developed Hip bursitis over two days of increasing pain. Pain caused spasms in thigh muscle to extent that walking was difficult, with pain extending to groin, knee, and down lower leg. Needed walker to get around. Can not take anti-inflammatory drugs due to blood thinner. Doctor prescribed one 30 sec hip stretching exercise done 4X10 times per day plus ice three times a day. Pain receded after 2 days. Almost normal after a week.

Comment from: Claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Today I finally went to my general physician and was told I have hip bursitis as I can't move my right leg at all due to the pain. It is like its locked and I have noticed that my left side is now starting flare with the same symptoms which is getting more intense. I haven't told my G.P about my left leg as I thought it was from limping.

Comment from: Depo56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered with hip pain now for about a year. My left side was so painful it was difficult to climb stairs or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has been very helpful. If the bursa is inflamed it affects the muscles and if the skeleton is misaligned the muscles are affected as well. Step one was to have my pelvis back into position. Then the muscles can function as they should. Ice packing the bursa (area that's painful) relieved the pain for me.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bursitis of the left hip, had cortisone several times (so painful) with little relief. I have pain so intense and my range of motion is nearly gone, walking in baby steps. When I try to stretch or walk the pain is so sharp at times it literally gives me fright of flight.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?