Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Published: March 21

I'm 24 years old, very active, and tired of the pain. Mine began because of the way that I sleep. I have slept on my left side for years. I have had the injections and I really am against them. I was wondering if there was a surgery that was possible, but I don't want to create more problems for myself. There is no pain in my right hip but then again I don't sleep on that hip. Just waiting for some relief!

Comment from: BUSYGRANNY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 64 year old female. I have suffered with hip bursitis for over 5 years. The odd thing about me is, I developed the bursitis at the same time in both hips. When the pain gets worse, it gets worse in both hips. I seem to be better working (I am on my feet all day) than not doing anything. My pain is worse when I wake up in the morning. I can't lay any way in the bed I have to get up to get relief. My pain now goes all across the lower back. I have had shots a couple of times but that doesn't last long. I just take Tylenol and tough it out.

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I enjoy your site and have used it as a reference for many problems and medical advisc. Your information on hip bursitis was very helpful. I just had back surgery with rods and bone graft in L3-L4 and L4-L5, that appears to have been helpful, but, with the pain in my hip, now! I am not really happy, but, I did get a cortisone shot which did help some, think I made need another. Your information was extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Comment from: marine13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had bursitis in my right hip for 30 years. Six years ago I also got it in my left. I take ibupropen, get cortisone injections every 3 months, exercises, swim, am not overweight and just plain hurt every day. When the weather is bad the bursitis is worst. I also have non-hodkins lymphomas, which may have a bearning on this. It seems that when the lymphoma is acting up the bursitis is worst. I am only 58 now so it is not at all a pleasant way to live. I am sure though, that things could be worse.

Comment from: Babz, 55-64 Female Published: February 18

I've had bursitis for 6-8 months now and received one cortisone shot but it now seems to be on the other side. I can't explain the pain exactly and it always seems to be in my back but when I sleep I can tell it's on my side. I'm only 55 years old and this seems strange.

Comment from: june, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 49 year old woman not overweight and active with walking and a bit of swimming. Golf once a week until my hip started to hurt as well. 3 years ago my right leg had extreme pain eventually went away. Then three months ago waking up in the night when I lay on my right hip, sore when I walked and a little hot to the touch. Voltaren didn't really work paracetamol seemed ok ended up with a pillow between my legs and a cushion under my hip and it seems better. Ultrasound diagnosis so hopefully it will resolve for another 3 years.

Comment from: dlp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My hip bursitis really started bothering me about 4 months ago, I had started doing banquet and waitress serving and that really seemed to aggravate it. By the time my shift was over I could barely walk to the car and then getting out was even worse. Had to take a hot bath which helped relieve the stiffness and pain. I have not been doing that kind of work but still having pain especially going up and down stairs and sleeping at night. I am going to try the cortizone injection and hope that it helps along with the physical therapy wish me luck I hope this works!

Comment from: JMM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 33 and I have hip bursitis in both hips for 4 years now. My hip bursitis started off as a mild ache when I would lie on one side, with referral pain down into my knees. It grew until I was unable to climb stairs or even walk without hobbling. I finally found a doctor willing to listen to me and referred me to a Rheumatologist who started me on cortisone injections; I just had my third round. The pain from the hip bursitis prevents me from sleeping well, walking, exercising basically from living. I'm on anti-inflammatory and have found they knock the edge off. The most effective treatment I have found is ice packs. Unfortunately I can't walk around with them strapped to me!

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?