Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: mikkip, 19-24 (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed with bursitis a year ago. It was due to injury. I have pain meds for it and I put ice on it when the pain is unbearable. Putting heat on it doesn't really do much for me. My grandparents took me into the minor ER for it a year ago when I was having horrible pain that is the only symptoms I had.

Comment from: Joanie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 68 year old woman who is very active. I ride a motorcycle; I walk, swim, do yard work, take care of my grandkids several times a week, but recently had to slow down because of hip pain. So many different diagnosis, maybe lyme, maybe hip deterioration, maybe arthritis and then today bursitis. I had two cortisone shots one in each hip, hurt like hell, but tonight I'm feeling a little bit better not great but better. I am following up with rehab 3 days a week for a month to see if that helps. I also found out today that I do have a degenerative situation going on in my neck that is not helping, but we decided to deal with one health issue at a time. I'm just glad that I have found a doctor who is willing to help me with more than just pain pills. I'll write again in 4 weeks. I plan to go back to walking tomorrow.

Comment from: Georgiapeach, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I'm a 54 year old woman that was diagnosed with bursitis and muscle spasms today. My MD gave me a few options. The first was anti-inflammatory, ice and muscle relaxers, all of which I was already using on my own with very little relief. I decided for choice #2 cortisone shots, one in my lower back and one in my hip muscle. Shots didn't hurt since they were given into the muscles. So glad I got them because I'm feeling so much better now. Hope this will help the problem for a long time. He was pretty confident it would. So anyone afraid of the shots don't be, they numb the area and I barely felt a thing!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am 29 years old and was just diagnosed with bursitis and I am in so much pain it ain't funny. I can't walk and I can hardly bend, sit, nothing without pain shooting up and down my leg and into my back, it is driving me nuts. I have four kids and so great full for them because even though they are only 12, 9, 8, 4, they help me so much all the time. I am taking pain meds which barley help and it's so hard to sleep and I just don't know what to do. I wake up in tears because the pain is so bad and I have my kids trying to confront me and I am great full to have an awesome doctor who is helping me threw everything, I will not do shots cause they do NOT WORK PERIOD.

Comment from: bluedoor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I am 78 year old curmudgeon with a reasonably low pain threshold. I had my right hip replaced in 2000. My left in 2002. 2006 left knee replacement. Now April 2011, for no apparent reason, my right hip hurts a lot. I see my ortho and he says bursitis .For the past three days my pain has been the worst.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had hip bursitis for 2 years. Steroid injection one side with an hour's relief. Not advised to rest, used ice so I could return to work same day. Now both hips are affected, ibuprophen gives some relief but can't take more than 10 daily or else I'll have an upset stomach. I have osteoporosis, so I'm also limited to a number of steroid injections! Walking up stairs or uphill is too painful (can't exercise)! I'm not overweight but living like this is terrible.

Comment from: Jodi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 22 year old female. A bit young to be diagnosed with bursitis of both of my hips right? My right hip is far worse then my left. I don't know how I developed bursitis. About 5 months ago in November I overdosed on opiates and woke up in the hospital in excruitating pain. I felt as though I was in a car wreck. I recieved xrays, as well as an MRI and soon after was diagnosed by a team of doctors with bursitis of the hips. The doctors assumed I developed it from laying in one position for too long while unconcious after my overdose. I can't walk far distances, sit indian style or simply put on a pair of jeans without feeling the stiff pain in my hips. At first I couldn't lay on either hip while sleeping and even sitting for long periods of time became difficult. My hips feel swollen on both sides, and also feel stiff.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?