Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: Babz, 55-64 Female Published: February 18

I've had bursitis for 6-8 months now and received one cortisone shot but it now seems to be on the other side. I can't explain the pain exactly and it always seems to be in my back but when I sleep I can tell it's on my side. I'm only 55 years old and this seems strange.

Comment from: june, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 49 year old woman not overweight and active with walking and a bit of swimming. Golf once a week until my hip started to hurt as well. 3 years ago my right leg had extreme pain eventually went away. Then three months ago waking up in the night when I lay on my right hip, sore when I walked and a little hot to the touch. Voltaren didn't really work paracetamol seemed ok ended up with a pillow between my legs and a cushion under my hip and it seems better. Ultrasound diagnosis so hopefully it will resolve for another 3 years.

Comment from: dlp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My hip bursitis really started bothering me about 4 months ago, I had started doing banquet and waitress serving and that really seemed to aggravate it. By the time my shift was over I could barely walk to the car and then getting out was even worse. Had to take a hot bath which helped relieve the stiffness and pain. I have not been doing that kind of work but still having pain especially going up and down stairs and sleeping at night. I am going to try the cortizone injection and hope that it helps along with the physical therapy wish me luck I hope this works!

Comment from: JMM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am 33 and I have hip bursitis in both hips for 4 years now. My hip bursitis started off as a mild ache when I would lie on one side, with referral pain down into my knees. It grew until I was unable to climb stairs or even walk without hobbling. I finally found a doctor willing to listen to me and referred me to a Rheumatologist who started me on cortisone injections; I just had my third round. The pain from the hip bursitis prevents me from sleeping well, walking, exercising basically from living. I'm on anti-inflammatory and have found they knock the edge off. The most effective treatment I have found is ice packs. Unfortunately I can't walk around with them strapped to me!

Published: January 31

I am a 58 year old female and I developed severe pain in my left hip after foot surgery on my right foot. I did wear a boot for an extended period of time for the surgery. Sleeping is almost nonexistent and walking after sitting is terrible. I have had many injections, large doses of anti-inflammatories and have done physical therapy. I guess my next step is the surgery but I am hesitant.

Comment from: R.N. in Ct., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 28

2 years ago I awoke after a night of dancing and found that when I put my feet on the floor to get up to stand I felt like someone had taken a bat to my hips. Flurbiprofen 100mg was like magic. Now just a week ago it is very painful, feels like a burning pain in the lateral hip area-radiating around across the IT band and buttocks and into the lateral lT thigh. After reading other stories I hope that I don't have long term symptoms like some people.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I first experienced bursitis in my hip in early 1983 after sleeping in a hospital recliner for a few nights. I woke up late one night in so much pain that I could bearly move. The pain was in the back of my left hip and ached in my groin area. I was given anti-inflamatory medications, which did not help much. But I was also told to use heat, which helped immensely. I have had symptoms several times since then, always in winter, but use heat to nip it before it gets bad. I have the same pain now, and x-rays did not reveal any problems with lower spine or any breakage. I still have not been diagnosed with it again, but the symptoms are very much the same. Heat and anti-inflammatories are beginning to help.

Comment from: Humble63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I experienced sharp pain when trying to lie on my side dull aching pain the rest of the time. I put this down to my herniated discs in my lumbar region. When I went to my absolutely incredible physiatrist 3 weeks ago he asked me how long my hip had hurt before I even mentioned it. He gave me a steroid injection and it was magic. Of course it was numb right away because of the lidocaine but when that wore off the pain was still gone and hasn't returned.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?