Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: mmendozm3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I am a 40 year old Female. I have had hip, back and neck pain for over a year now. I had and MRI and x-rays done. I have been going to the doctor for about a year now also. I have gone to several specialists to find out what is wrong and why I am in so much pain. I have been told that I have bulging disks, and other problems. Today I had gone to an Orthopedic Surgeon and he had told me that I am fine. He doesn't see anything really wrong with me. Except that in my hip I have bursitis. The way he diagnosed me was by me standing in front of him and he had me do a couple of exercises. He ended up putting a referral in for me for a physical therapist. I had already gone through that and it didn't help me at all. He also ended up giving me a cortisone injection. That really hurt. I hope this injection helps. I am getting tired of not being able to sleep. I sit down all day at work doing data entry. I was also told that it was caused by work. Sitting all day long. People just can't leave their jobs.

Comment from: Nanulance, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I woke up one morning with pain in left hip. Cannot put weight on that leg to go upstairs. Had X-Ray. Normal - although I do have sore arthritis and osteoporosis. Physio now suggests it probably is Bursitis. Put ice on it, use anti inflammatory creams. Due to having had angioplasties I can no longer take anti inflammatory drugs. The physio mentioned some machine they may use but we ran out of time.

Published: May 19

I am a 54 year old female and I developed hip bursitis after my left hip was traumatized by a car. I cannot walk for any distance or stand for any amount of time without developing an extreme aching feeling across my thigh. It is incredibly painful and it also feels as though something is trying to pull my muscles out. My hip area throbs after walking and there are times when I have sharp pain just from any movement of my leg. I am on Mobic, a relatively new anti-inflammatory drug. It relieves some of the pain, but not all. Yesterday I had a cortisone shot in the hip and I must've gotten the "cortisone flair" that's written about; I spent the whole night with my hip packed with ice because it was so painful. Ice is the big reliever for me. It was the only thing that helped me get through the ACL reconstruction surgery I had and now this hip bursitis.

Comment from: deedee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had this bursitis for a long time. I thought that I would have a hip replacement since my mother had 5 hip replacements, but it is bursitis. The shots are not helping and I don't know what to do now. If the operation would help, I am open to that idea. I am now on an anti inflammatory diet. Maybe if I lose some weight, it will get better.

Comment from: balletdancer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a 17 year old ballet dancer, and I have been diagnosed with having ischial bursitis. It has been the most excruciating experience of my life, I have had to deal with the pain for seven weeks now, which is most severe when I am walking or, in dance, when I have to do any kind of leg lifts/extensions. 2 weeks after I first felt the symptoms I had to carry on and do a two hour performance despite how much agony I was in and having nothing but Neurofin to relieve the pain. I'm finally starting to get better now. I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anyone. Good luck to other sufferers in their recovery.

Comment from: CenterbarS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm only 23 but I experience painful bursitis in my left hip after going for runs or doing a lot of walking. It's strange to me because I've been physically active for a long while. It's painful but I dont want to gain weight and I enjoy working out. I've found that it's less painful after taking 2 ibuprofen.

Comment from: stacy v, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have had hip bursitis for six months. I have tried every arthritis medicine and none of it worked. My doctor put me on Cymbalta and I finally got relief. So, ask your doctor to have you try it. I was sleeping two hours a night because the pain was so intense; now I'm sleeping better and feel better.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?