Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am 29 years old and was just diagnosed with bursitis and I am in so much pain it ain't funny. I can't walk and I can hardly bend, sit, nothing without pain shooting up and down my leg and into my back, it is driving me nuts. I have four kids and so great full for them because even though they are only 12, 9, 8, 4, they help me so much all the time. I am taking pain meds which barley help and it's so hard to sleep and I just don't know what to do. I wake up in tears because the pain is so bad and I have my kids trying to confront me and I am great full to have an awesome doctor who is helping me threw everything, I will not do shots cause they do NOT WORK PERIOD.

Comment from: bluedoor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I am 78 year old curmudgeon with a reasonably low pain threshold. I had my right hip replaced in 2000. My left in 2002. 2006 left knee replacement. Now April 2011, for no apparent reason, my right hip hurts a lot. I see my ortho and he says bursitis .For the past three days my pain has been the worst.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had hip bursitis for 2 years. Steroid injection one side with an hour's relief. Not advised to rest, used ice so I could return to work same day. Now both hips are affected, ibuprophen gives some relief but can't take more than 10 daily or else I'll have an upset stomach. I have osteoporosis, so I'm also limited to a number of steroid injections! Walking up stairs or uphill is too painful (can't exercise)! I'm not overweight but living like this is terrible.

Comment from: Jodi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 22 year old female. A bit young to be diagnosed with bursitis of both of my hips right? My right hip is far worse then my left. I don't know how I developed bursitis. About 5 months ago in November I overdosed on opiates and woke up in the hospital in excruitating pain. I felt as though I was in a car wreck. I recieved xrays, as well as an MRI and soon after was diagnosed by a team of doctors with bursitis of the hips. The doctors assumed I developed it from laying in one position for too long while unconcious after my overdose. I can't walk far distances, sit indian style or simply put on a pair of jeans without feeling the stiff pain in my hips. At first I couldn't lay on either hip while sleeping and even sitting for long periods of time became difficult. My hips feel swollen on both sides, and also feel stiff.

Published: March 21

I'm 24 years old, very active, and tired of the pain. Mine began because of the way that I sleep. I have slept on my left side for years. I have had the injections and I really am against them. I was wondering if there was a surgery that was possible, but I don't want to create more problems for myself. There is no pain in my right hip but then again I don't sleep on that hip. Just waiting for some relief!

Comment from: BUSYGRANNY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 64 year old female. I have suffered with hip bursitis for over 5 years. The odd thing about me is, I developed the bursitis at the same time in both hips. When the pain gets worse, it gets worse in both hips. I seem to be better working (I am on my feet all day) than not doing anything. My pain is worse when I wake up in the morning. I can't lay any way in the bed I have to get up to get relief. My pain now goes all across the lower back. I have had shots a couple of times but that doesn't last long. I just take Tylenol and tough it out.

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I enjoy your site and have used it as a reference for many problems and medical advisc. Your information on hip bursitis was very helpful. I just had back surgery with rods and bone graft in L3-L4 and L4-L5, that appears to have been helpful, but, with the pain in my hip, now! I am not really happy, but, I did get a cortisone shot which did help some, think I made need another. Your information was extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Comment from: marine13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have had bursitis in my right hip for 30 years. Six years ago I also got it in my left. I take ibupropen, get cortisone injections every 3 months, exercises, swim, am not overweight and just plain hurt every day. When the weather is bad the bursitis is worst. I also have non-hodkins lymphomas, which may have a bearning on this. It seems that when the lymphoma is acting up the bursitis is worst. I am only 58 now so it is not at all a pleasant way to live. I am sure though, that things could be worse.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?