Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Comment from: deedee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had this bursitis for a long time. I thought that I would have a hip replacement since my mother had 5 hip replacements, but it is bursitis. The shots are not helping and I don't know what to do now. If the operation would help, I am open to that idea. I am now on an anti inflammatory diet. Maybe if I lose some weight, it will get better.

Comment from: balletdancer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a 17 year old ballet dancer, and I have been diagnosed with having ischial bursitis. It has been the most excruciating experience of my life, I have had to deal with the pain for seven weeks now, which is most severe when I am walking or, in dance, when I have to do any kind of leg lifts/extensions. 2 weeks after I first felt the symptoms I had to carry on and do a two hour performance despite how much agony I was in and having nothing but Neurofin to relieve the pain. I'm finally starting to get better now. I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anyone. Good luck to other sufferers in their recovery.

Comment from: CenterbarS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm only 23 but I experience painful bursitis in my left hip after going for runs or doing a lot of walking. It's strange to me because I've been physically active for a long while. It's painful but I dont want to gain weight and I enjoy working out. I've found that it's less painful after taking 2 ibuprofen.

Comment from: stacy v, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have had hip bursitis for six months. I have tried every arthritis medicine and none of it worked. My doctor put me on Cymbalta and I finally got relief. So, ask your doctor to have you try it. I was sleeping two hours a night because the pain was so intense; now I'm sleeping better and feel better.

Comment from: mikkip, 19-24 (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed with bursitis a year ago. It was due to injury. I have pain meds for it and I put ice on it when the pain is unbearable. Putting heat on it doesn't really do much for me. My grandparents took me into the minor ER for it a year ago when I was having horrible pain that is the only symptoms I had.

Comment from: Joanie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 68 year old woman who is very active. I ride a motorcycle; I walk, swim, do yard work, take care of my grandkids several times a week, but recently had to slow down because of hip pain. So many different diagnosis, maybe lyme, maybe hip deterioration, maybe arthritis and then today bursitis. I had two cortisone shots one in each hip, hurt like hell, but tonight I'm feeling a little bit better not great but better. I am following up with rehab 3 days a week for a month to see if that helps. I also found out today that I do have a degenerative situation going on in my neck that is not helping, but we decided to deal with one health issue at a time. I'm just glad that I have found a doctor who is willing to help me with more than just pain pills. I'll write again in 4 weeks. I plan to go back to walking tomorrow.

Comment from: Sherrie, 45-54 Female Published: April 26

I have had pain in both hips. It is very difficult to sleep at night. When I get up in the mornings, the pain slowly easy up by noon. I first thought it was my mattress, but I changed mattresses which the pain went away for a few days. Now it has started hurting again. I have had MRIs which showed a bulging disk, but I believe this pain is unrelated to my back.

Comment from: Georgiapeach, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I'm a 54 year old woman that was diagnosed with bursitis and muscle spasms today. My MD gave me a few options. The first was anti-inflammatory, ice and muscle relaxers, all of which I was already using on my own with very little relief. I decided for choice #2 cortisone shots, one in my lower back and one in my hip muscle. Shots didn't hurt since they were given into the muscles. So glad I got them because I'm feeling so much better now. Hope this will help the problem for a long time. He was pretty confident it would. So anyone afraid of the shots don't be, they numb the area and I barely felt a thing!

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?