Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Larky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My back was offered an operation. My knees are bone to bone. At age 90 I shall probably not have them fixed. They are painful. But more so were my hips. I thought I might get new ones, except they were ok. The pain was the inflamed bursar (both sides). Cortisone shots are miraculous in relieving the pain; and even help knees and arthritic thumbs. Only problem is that they do not last long enough. I find regular stretching exercises have helped everything else. I also walk a little and do Tai Chi. I wish you all well. Here is to mobility.

Comment from: riverjohn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had severe hip pain caused during walking for several years now but no other time. I"m in very good shape, BMI 25.5. I work out 5 days a week, Nordic Track and Total Gym. I can work out 20 minutes on the Nordic Track and don"t feel a thing. But if I walk 200 feet and many times I have to stop and rest, the left hip pain is so bad. One orthopedist finally suggested trochanteric bursitis. Before then it was "disc problems”, but no one could give me a description of what is going on there. I do have severely degenerated L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs. I have some pain issues with that but it usually goes away within days. I keep my core very strong.

Comment from: Patsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My hip bursitis began after months of ballet exercises in a hot pool. I was proud of my flexibility (especially for my age) and guess I overdid it. I also have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I have tried everything and will tell you what worked. I injected myself with 1ml B12 for ten days - 50% reduction in pain and stiffness. Use the "MELT" method (foam roller) to rehydrate tissues - 20-30% improvement so long as I do it every day. I"ve never had cortisone shots but take turmeric 4 capsules/day and also do periodic fasting on water only for one week at a time - this also works and is not as hard as you"d think! Low dose naltrexone (LDN) keeps the RA in order and thus helps with bursitis.

Comment from: Shanna2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip 7 years ago. I went in for an injection, he did it under some sort of x-ray and it seemed to ease up a bit. I am a very active but somewhat overweight, 5'4" and weigh approximately 205 lbs., but I am extremely active in cycling, Krav Maga and strength training. About three or four years ago it moved to both hips. About a year ago I went back to my doctor to get another injection but this time I went to a different doctor. And he just did it in his office and I got no relief. I tried it again 6 weeks later and again nothing, so I decided cortisone just isn't for me. I can't sleep on either side for any length of time because of the pain. The stretching exercise my doctor sent me home with is painful because it is designed for someone with only one sided bursitis. I am tired of being in pain and don't know what else to do but 7 years of constant pain wears on me!

Comment from: MiamiA1A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have trochanteric bursitis in my right hip. It is probably caused by uneven leg length. My right leg is 2 in. longer than the left; about an inch and a half of the discrepancy is in the thigh. I have had this since May "13. It is quite painful and is limiting my activities. I have not had a cortisone shot yet, because they are expensive, and I kept hoping it would go away. Stretches and anti-inflammatory drugs are the only treatment I have tried.

Comment from: heavenstobetsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I could not stand up for more than 30 seconds without being in pain. I also had a leg rash that was not bothering me. It turns out it was an allergic reaction to the medicines I was given for a urinary tract infection (UTI). A single dose of Benadryl was given. The hip pain and the red rash went away!

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?