Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Jenn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The pain from hip bursitis started about 6 months ago and there were times when I could barely move. Throbbing at night and extreme sharp pain if I move has affected sleep. At times I was stopped dead in my tracks when doing ordinary everyday activities. I was hobbling most of the time. My chiropractor makes a massive difference with his treatment of the condition. I see him every two weeks and the pain level is much more tolerable than prior to starting treatment. I still have times when I am in a lot of pain, but am mostly fully mobile now. I do not take any medications. Perhaps a good chiropractor can help others.

Comment from: Ella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I found a few of you described my hip troubles to a T. I'm sorry that anyone else is struggling like this and for so long! I've only been hurting for 1 1/2 years. It's really gotten worse in the past few months. X-ray shows arthritis in SI (sacroiliac) joints and problems (that I've felt for years) with that pubis symphysis area being off track. I was referred to a specialist who decided it was trochanteric bursitis and gave intermittent 2 cortisone shots in right hip, 1 in left. I got only temporary relief there as others have stated. I've tried various physiotherapy treatments, chiropractic treatments, and massage. Massage did actually help somewhat, particularly painful deep tissue in buttocks. I think it stopped everything from getting worse. I need to go back. The only problem is hectic life gets in the way! Struggling to do the things I used to do slows me down and of course has an effect on my emotional state. Also the pain has spread, my whole hip and tailbone region and lower back hurt. Most treatments have been put on hold due to life circumstance but starting next week I'll get back to massage, book in to see the specialist again, and see this new physiotherapist I've only been to once. His claim is the leg length thing. Hopefully he'll fix me up! I'm quite skeptical however as nothing else has worked long term. I'm also at the point of asking for time off work so I can focus on the stretching and strengthening, ice and rest but not sitting at a desk all day making it worse. As you can all relate to, it is a tough thing because people don't see or understand your pain and how it affects your daily life.

Comment from: Del, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a fifty eight year old female, and I had hip bursitis for a year. I have had sleepless nights, with extreme pain sitting, standing, and walking. Life is awful. I had three injections, but not much relief. I am beside myself with it all.

Comment from: Pinky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had hip bursitis in my left hip for 15 years. It was only 7 months ago that it was diagnosed and that was through paying to go private. For all those years I have had to put up with the pain with no diagnosis. I even thought it must have been in my head! I had an injection in my hip in April 2015, which lasted just two weeks. Now it's back again. I can't sleep properly, I hobble like an old woman when I get up from a chair or sofa. It's depressing. I am only allowed 2 to 3 injections a year and quite frankly it's not worth it just for two weeks' relief. Is this my life from now on! I also have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (I had 3 injections in my spine but they made no difference whatsoever); the two probably work together though pain wise.

Comment from: River, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had a left hip replacement in October 2014. This resulted in my left leg being one and a half inches longer than my right. Soon after, I developed horrid back pain. I kept pushing through it and soon I started having pain in my left leg on the outside of the thigh and very severe, about four inches above my knee. Then I developed shocks of nerve pain in thigh. I got cortisone in my bursa and some trigger points in my leg and the pain went away. I had surgery on right hip to even out leg lengths in February 2015. The pain returned in left leg as cortisone wore off. It got so bad I couldn't bear weight on left leg. I received more cortisone and lidocaine patches. It has been a month since the cortisone and I don't need the lidocaine patches now. I have learned to walk without a limp now. But new hip is still about a half inch shorter. I am hoping without a limp, the bursitis will not return. The pain ends up spreading to the groin, into the hip flexor and side of hip, down outer thigh to the point you can just barely, with a lot of determination, walk on that leg. Since I am pain free for the first time in months, I am starting yoga. I lost all strength in left groin area and hip flexor. I hope pain doesn't return.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?