Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Earthangel23, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a hip replacement over 3 years ago, but it seems that my hip just will not heal. My doctor says I have bursitis in that hip, but today my leg hurts really bad, I didn't do anything to aggravate it. It got so bad that I was actually having to drag it behind me just like I had to do before I had the surgery. It is swollen, painful in my thigh and burning again, I simply don't understand why I can't touch the leg without pain and I can't even lie on my right side ever again. It is hopeless to think I will ever recover and I am becoming very depressed again because I just want to go back to work and have a life again. Every time I take one step forward it seems I go 2 steps backwards.

Comment from: meandmidget, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with hip bursitis a few years ago. I wake every night and have to change sides. This morning at 3 it was terrible. The worst yet, I even had a sight fever. Tons of nasty chills. This made the pain unbearable! I suffer from chronic pancreatitis so I have strong narcotics. I took one at 3 am. I was barely able to walk at 7 still in pain but I took myself to the hospital. I spent 11 hours there and had x-rays, urine and blood tests, and 2 MRIs. I was given prednisone and Flexeril. The side effect of the prednisone is pancreatitis. Going to be a scary couple of days.

Comment from: KW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My pain began 8 months ago after sitting for an extended period of time over a one week period on a soft couch. Lying down to sleep was impossible due to the shooting pain in my left hip. After finally being diagnosed with bursitis, the doctor said there is basically nothing that can be done for it other than taking Aleve. No walking or hiking, no exercise. I can only sit on a wooden chair as soft surfaces cause too much pain. As with others, it is very depressing and sleep is fitful.

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have had hip bursitis for nearly 7 months now. I have had physiotherapy, ultrasound therapy, two Cortizone injections, two weeks of placing an icepack three times a day for half hour, and nothing helped. After 6 months of terrible pain, my doctor suggested I try cold laser therapy, which I did. So far I have had two treatments and am pain free for the first time in 7 months. I am going for another 3 treatments, so to all who are suffering from this problem, please ask your doctor about cold laser therapy, it has put my life back to normal again.

Comment from: NanaTammy11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have degenerative disc disease in my back and also bursitis in my hip. My orthopedic doctor gave me a cortisone shot on Tuesday in my hip and today (Thursday) my right leg went numb and I almost fell. I twisted when I grabbed onto my table so I wouldn't fall and now I have shooting pains down my right leg and in my foot.

Comment from: Marelena, Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis. I have had shots in my hip and so far they have worked for a good 3 to 6 months. Three days ago it started up again with pain through my hip, lower back, down my leg by knee. Walking is one of my greatest joys and I fear that eventually I will not be able to do that. I normally walk at least an hour each morning. I am so fearful that I will eventually have to stop. Today I am seeing arthritis doctor for probably another shot. Not happy.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?