Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Goldie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I've had bursitis in my shoulder/elbow before, shots and steroids worked. However, now I have it in the outer and inner hip area. I got a shot which helped some with the trochanteric bursitis on the side of the right hip, but the ischiogluteal bursa by the tailbone is still inflamed. Now going on 8 weeks of tests, taking medications, walking with a cane, tried TENS unit, icing and heat, but the pain is worse at night from being on it all day at work, it just aggravates it all over again. By the end of the week, I spend Saturday doctoring myself again in order to be able to do anything. I am behind on everything.

Comment from: Mar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am just starting treatment for hip bursitis, Graston technique. I had one session with my chiropractor and already sleeping better. I am dreading next sessions because it isn't exactly pain free, but at least only lasts 90 seconds. Better than shots and surgery, hopefully.

Comment from: NoMoreBootcamp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Trochanteric bursitis has been diagnosed in my left hip, I am going to have cortisone injection tomorrow. Doctor said probable cause was repetitive action. In trying to lose weight, I embarked on a walking program, then a bit of spin bike, boxing, lightweight bicep curls and the dreaded step. On and off a low wooden platform leading with left then right leg 30 to 50 times. I protested at the time and should have refused! Only thing I have found to help in bed at night is a 2 or 3 stack of pillows at ankle level which reduces the drag on the hip area as soon as you lie down and try to sleep. I have to sleep on my side because of sleep apnea. I also have a cushion between knees (have done for years) but this doesn't help the hip/thigh/knee pain. But putting ankles on pillow stack so they are at hip level helps!

Comment from: Jenn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The pain from hip bursitis started about 6 months ago and there were times when I could barely move. Throbbing at night and extreme sharp pain if I move has affected sleep. At times I was stopped dead in my tracks when doing ordinary everyday activities. I was hobbling most of the time. My chiropractor makes a massive difference with his treatment of the condition. I see him every two weeks and the pain level is much more tolerable than prior to starting treatment. I still have times when I am in a lot of pain, but am mostly fully mobile now. I do not take any medications. Perhaps a good chiropractor can help others.

Comment from: Ella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I found a few of you described my hip troubles to a T. I'm sorry that anyone else is struggling like this and for so long! I've only been hurting for 1 1/2 years. It's really gotten worse in the past few months. X-ray shows arthritis in SI (sacroiliac) joints and problems (that I've felt for years) with that pubis symphysis area being off track. I was referred to a specialist who decided it was trochanteric bursitis and gave intermittent 2 cortisone shots in right hip, 1 in left. I got only temporary relief there as others have stated. I've tried various physiotherapy treatments, chiropractic treatments, and massage. Massage did actually help somewhat, particularly painful deep tissue in buttocks. I think it stopped everything from getting worse. I need to go back. The only problem is hectic life gets in the way! Struggling to do the things I used to do slows me down and of course has an effect on my emotional state. Also the pain has spread, my whole hip and tailbone region and lower back hurt. Most treatments have been put on hold due to life circumstance but starting next week I'll get back to massage, book in to see the specialist again, and see this new physiotherapist I've only been to once. His claim is the leg length thing. Hopefully he'll fix me up! I'm quite skeptical however as nothing else has worked long term. I'm also at the point of asking for time off work so I can focus on the stretching and strengthening, ice and rest but not sitting at a desk all day making it worse. As you can all relate to, it is a tough thing because people don't see or understand your pain and how it affects your daily life.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

My bursa sac feels weak sometime and I skip when I walk.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?