Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Pat b., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I started to get left hip pain over two years ago, after sitting and watching a show. Eventually I needed to see an orthopedic doctor for my hip bursitis, from there a steroid injection, which helped. Now after the injection lasted two months, and waiting five months for a hospital appointment to go all through the system again, I am waiting again for another injection. I am finding it hard to walk straight away when rising from a seat, or getting out of the car. I was told yesterday at my appointment, there isn't much that can be done. I am feeling a bit depressed today, struggling to walk.

Comment from: Charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I retired and moved to a warmer climate one year ago. After driving 2000 miles to my new home I noticed my left buttock had a dull pain that radiated down to the knee, but only when sitting in the car and occasionally when sitting in a chair. After x-rays and an MRI the orthopedic doctor confirmed hip bursitis. Steroid injection provided temporary relief, then anti-inflammatory drugs, then physiotherapy. After that I still have pain in the buttock and down the posterior leg to knee after driving for more than a half hour; even while just sitting in the car and not driving!

Comment from: Goldie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I've had bursitis in my shoulder/elbow before, shots and steroids worked. However, now I have it in the outer and inner hip area. I got a shot which helped some with the trochanteric bursitis on the side of the right hip, but the ischiogluteal bursa by the tailbone is still inflamed. Now going on 8 weeks of tests, taking medications, walking with a cane, tried TENS unit, icing and heat, but the pain is worse at night from being on it all day at work, it just aggravates it all over again. By the end of the week, I spend Saturday doctoring myself again in order to be able to do anything. I am behind on everything.

Comment from: Mar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am just starting treatment for hip bursitis, Graston technique. I had one session with my chiropractor and already sleeping better. I am dreading next sessions because it isn't exactly pain free, but at least only lasts 90 seconds. Better than shots and surgery, hopefully.

Comment from: NoMoreBootcamp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Trochanteric bursitis has been diagnosed in my left hip, I am going to have cortisone injection tomorrow. Doctor said probable cause was repetitive action. In trying to lose weight, I embarked on a walking program, then a bit of spin bike, boxing, lightweight bicep curls and the dreaded step. On and off a low wooden platform leading with left then right leg 30 to 50 times. I protested at the time and should have refused! Only thing I have found to help in bed at night is a 2 or 3 stack of pillows at ankle level which reduces the drag on the hip area as soon as you lie down and try to sleep. I have to sleep on my side because of sleep apnea. I also have a cushion between knees (have done for years) but this doesn't help the hip/thigh/knee pain. But putting ankles on pillow stack so they are at hip level helps!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

My bursa sac feels weak sometime and I skip when I walk.

Comment from: Ana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been having hip pain on my left hip. It started two nights ago, when I was sleeping on the corner of my bed, with my left hip on that corner of my bed. I do have bursitis on my right hip. But Saturday morning, man, it hurt when I woke up and it has been tough for me to walk or stand for a long period of time, then I have to sit.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?