Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: KW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My pain began 8 months ago after sitting for an extended period of time over a one week period on a soft couch. Lying down to sleep was impossible due to the shooting pain in my left hip. After finally being diagnosed with bursitis, the doctor said there is basically nothing that can be done for it other than taking Aleve. No walking or hiking, no exercise. I can only sit on a wooden chair as soft surfaces cause too much pain. As with others, it is very depressing and sleep is fitful.

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I have had hip bursitis for nearly 7 months now. I have had physiotherapy, ultrasound therapy, two Cortizone injections, two weeks of placing an icepack three times a day for half hour, and nothing helped. After 6 months of terrible pain, my doctor suggested I try cold laser therapy, which I did. So far I have had two treatments and am pain free for the first time in 7 months. I am going for another 3 treatments, so to all who are suffering from this problem, please ask your doctor about cold laser therapy, it has put my life back to normal again.

Comment from: NanaTammy11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have degenerative disc disease in my back and also bursitis in my hip. My orthopedic doctor gave me a cortisone shot on Tuesday in my hip and today (Thursday) my right leg went numb and I almost fell. I twisted when I grabbed onto my table so I wouldn't fall and now I have shooting pains down my right leg and in my foot.

Comment from: Marelena, Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis. I have had shots in my hip and so far they have worked for a good 3 to 6 months. Three days ago it started up again with pain through my hip, lower back, down my leg by knee. Walking is one of my greatest joys and I fear that eventually I will not be able to do that. I normally walk at least an hour each morning. I am so fearful that I will eventually have to stop. Today I am seeing arthritis doctor for probably another shot. Not happy.

Comment from: Pat b., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I started to get left hip pain over two years ago, after sitting and watching a show. Eventually I needed to see an orthopedic doctor for my hip bursitis, from there a steroid injection, which helped. Now after the injection lasted two months, and waiting five months for a hospital appointment to go all through the system again, I am waiting again for another injection. I am finding it hard to walk straight away when rising from a seat, or getting out of the car. I was told yesterday at my appointment, there isn't much that can be done. I am feeling a bit depressed today, struggling to walk.

Comment from: Charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I retired and moved to a warmer climate one year ago. After driving 2000 miles to my new home I noticed my left buttock had a dull pain that radiated down to the knee, but only when sitting in the car and occasionally when sitting in a chair. After x-rays and an MRI the orthopedic doctor confirmed hip bursitis. Steroid injection provided temporary relief, then anti-inflammatory drugs, then physiotherapy. After that I still have pain in the buttock and down the posterior leg to knee after driving for more than a half hour; even while just sitting in the car and not driving!

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?