Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Esther, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a hip replacement in jan 2012 and was told, due to the spinal problem I also had, I would probably not have the same recovery benefits I would have had if I wasn't suffering with my back. The operation was successful and I was making a good recovery but due to my back I was a bit wobbly and in April 2012 stumbled and fell onto the corner of my kitchen table. I was in agony and after going back to hospital was told I had trochanter bursitis. Since then, I have been in so much pain I have been really depressed. It is worse pain than before and I have had two lots of injections in my hip together with spinal injections and I am still in constant pain. I don't know what to do and it has really affected my life. The awful part is that people don't know how much pain you are experiencing and that you should be great after having a hip replacement. If only they knew the pain I am in and that walking and sleeping is such a problem. I feel very tired and irritable and it just isn't me.

Comment from: jeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

While training for a 1/2 marathon, 5 yrs ago I had the sore hips and didn't know what it was. Was treated by a chiropractor for almost a year and got very frustrated as it was not healing. I sought other therapies and finally came upon a physiotherapist who specializes in lower back. She treated my lower back and gave my condition the term bursitis. She treated with ultrasound, rest and ice/heat packs and after 3 wks, it went away. Recently it has returned on one side due to over training (my fault - I should know better now) and again, ultra sound treatment, rest, ice/heat and 2 weeks into the treatment, I'm starting to have relief of this annoying, keep you up at night, excruciating pain. I had to take anti-inflammatories only twice during that time when it got too bad. So please seek other therapies before you get into taking too many meds - the side-effects are just not worth it.

Comment from: bugsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had the hip pain occasionally for 15 yrs. It seemed as if it had went away. Now it has flared up, making it difficult to sit or do anything. I was approximately 35 when diagnosed. Now I am in my early 50's.

Comment from: Buttercup, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I've been diagnosed with bursitis in both hips. When I stand up, a point on each hip front is very painful, so I straighten and walk slowly. If work out, it takes about 10-12 minutes for the pain in the hips to stop; at first I feel as though I can't continue, but if I walk toe in for a while, and then toe out, and keep adjusting, I end up without pain for the rest of the 45-min to an hour walk. This isn't a fast walk, but about 3-3.5 mile/hour. However I miss running. I wonder: if it stops hurting after the 10 minutes...am I hurting myself by continuing? All I'm reading here is unresolved pain with this. I've gained weight and girth from lack of exercise after crashing my bicycle, and it is frightening to think this will be with me long term.

Comment from: crystal717, Female (Patient) Published: July 24

At 20 yrs old I developed hip pain on the rght. It became so bad over the next few years I thought I had bone cancer. Xray was negative. I was pain free two years. After I had my daughter it came back and was worse then ever. After 2 more steroid shots and taking so much Motrin that I pooped blood I had an mri and it showed trochanteric bursitis. It sucks. Now I'm on oxycodone 5mg for 3 years and it doesn't help. I'm 28 and I don't know what to do. I'm ashamed to have to take pain meds but I could cry how much pain I'm in. I would love to run n exercise. I've gained 40 lbs in 8 years because I can't do any cardio without severe pain the next day. Will this ever go away?

Comment from: Marty, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 55 year old male, with a very active lifestyle and occupation (mailman). A recurring hip pain that left me basically useless on my feet lead me to seek treatment. Any lateral movement of the hip was "drop ya to your knees" pain, while front to back was just fine. The use of corticosteroids for me has been an effective regimen with relief normally of about 2 years.

Comment from: SNiern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

After breast cancer three years ago I was put on an Aramatase Inhibitor post surgery. I was 56 years old and aged 25 years with extreme joint pain all over. Making a decision regarding quality of life, I changed to Tamoxifen , a weaker, but effective post cancer drug. All my joint pain went away, except for my left hip. After enduring extreme pain for over a year my family doctor gave me two cortisone injections and diagnosed me with bursitis.. I have hiked the fourteeners in Colorado and have continued hiking with steep inclines. I'm afraid I have to stop hiking and find another hobby and workout. It is now clear to me that the inclines are what cause the extreme pain and irritation.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?