Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: crystal717, Female (Patient) Published: July 24

At 20 yrs old I developed hip pain on the rght. It became so bad over the next few years I thought I had bone cancer. Xray was negative. I was pain free two years. After I had my daughter it came back and was worse then ever. After 2 more steroid shots and taking so much Motrin that I pooped blood I had an mri and it showed trochanteric bursitis. It sucks. Now I'm on oxycodone 5mg for 3 years and it doesn't help. I'm 28 and I don't know what to do. I'm ashamed to have to take pain meds but I could cry how much pain I'm in. I would love to run n exercise. I've gained 40 lbs in 8 years because I can't do any cardio without severe pain the next day. Will this ever go away?

Comment from: Marty, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 55 year old male, with a very active lifestyle and occupation (mailman). A recurring hip pain that left me basically useless on my feet lead me to seek treatment. Any lateral movement of the hip was "drop ya to your knees" pain, while front to back was just fine. The use of corticosteroids for me has been an effective regimen with relief normally of about 2 years.

Comment from: SNiern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

After breast cancer three years ago I was put on an Aramatase Inhibitor post surgery. I was 56 years old and aged 25 years with extreme joint pain all over. Making a decision regarding quality of life, I changed to Tamoxifen , a weaker, but effective post cancer drug. All my joint pain went away, except for my left hip. After enduring extreme pain for over a year my family doctor gave me two cortisone injections and diagnosed me with bursitis.. I have hiked the fourteeners in Colorado and have continued hiking with steep inclines. I'm afraid I have to stop hiking and find another hobby and workout. It is now clear to me that the inclines are what cause the extreme pain and irritation.

Comment from: Jessie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 28 yr. old female. I have been fairly active throughout my life. I injured my hips by over using them in track and field when I was 12. Since then, I have dealt with constant hip pain. I was diagnosed a couple months ago with bursitis and after failed physical therapy, I got the cortisone injections. Aside from the Flare I had on one side, the relief from the pain was felt from my headaches to my ankles. The major downside was that when the pain returned 3 months later, I was no longer accustomed to it, which has made it seem worse than before. Currently, I am looking for a place who can give me a new injection since I lost my healthcare... Just wanted people to know that hip bursitis is not only due to age.

Comment from: Jesse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am a 68 year old female with chronic outer hip pain which started 2 years ago. During physical therapy, I discovered short term relief from the ache (both sides) with deep tissue massage and moist heat. Stretching exercises help also. One doctor said it was bursitis (outer hips) and another doctor said it was referred pain from osteoarthritis in my back. Frankly, I've decided it is my hip flexor muscles which are overly tight and cause the pain. It is worse at night or after sitting for long periods but with frequent exercise (opposite muscles from hip flexors) and stretching, the stiffness and pain are reduced. I do not take pain meds (stomach ulcers) but am aware that massage and moist heat will increase the effectiveness of any therapy I use and can actually take away the pain for hours to days.

Comment from: forsblomkelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 53 years old. I started seeking treatment for lower back pain back in 1980 spuradically. By 1991 I was going to the chiropractor almost every week. In the last two years I have gotten about seven steroid shots because the cause of my pain they say is a protrusion against my nerve. To make matters worse I fell down hard on my hip because of a freezing rain storm. I have had bursitis for over a year and didn't find out until a few months ago. I got some cortisone shots under flouroscopy for my Trochantic Bursitis five days ago and I am better about %40 so far. I still have Ishial Bursitis, too that I hope to get treated. The Dr. I see now said I may be able to get surgery for my back.

Comment from: dizzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have just been diagnosed with Bursitis and am bitterly disappointed as I have had both my knees replaced to get away from continuing 24/7 pain. Now I have this 24/7 pain and not sleeping at all. It started in August 2012 whilst on a cruise, I had physio and was supposed to have the injection but due to lack of funds it was cancelled. I am now waiting to see if funding is available for me to have the injection. This is the most painful ailment I have ever had.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?