Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I just found out I have both types of hip bursitis, and already had arthritis diagnosed last year in same hip. I have a fantastic orthopedic surgeon. He replaced both knees 4 years ago, one at a time 3 months apart. No problem there! I was back to my old self, lost 30 pounds and felt great, until a couple months ago. Now he says we may be talking hip replacement, but that is still up for discussion. My suggestion to anyone at any age is, find yourself a really good orthopedic surgeon and don"t wait! I procrastinated with my knees for 10 years as they progressed to the point where I almost could not walk. And now I"m paying the price. The longer you keep going with pain and joint issues, the more damage you are doing to healthy joints.

Comment from: Jazzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a 38 year old women and I have hip bursitis in both hips now for about 10 months; my mother also has it. Some days are better than some. At this present time Jan 2014 I am in extreme pain and it is making sleeping nearly impossible. I am taking my anti-inflammatory medication and it does help slightly but I am thinking I might try the injections, but just a bit nervous about it. I just wish the pain would go away.

Comment from: Sham, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have recently contracted bursitis after starting to train for a half marathon. I've been off running for 2 to 3 weeks now. I am finding pain relief through ibuprofen. I have also been using turmeric. It is a very strong anti-inflammatory aid and I've started taking it in a drink every day and seen that I am finding less acute pain. It still keeps me up at night but is less bothersome in the day. Turmeric also has a whole load of other properties that are good for you. I take turmeric with oil (only olive or coconut as other oils can actually cause more inflammation) and some black pepper as they aid absorption. Turmeric is quite ineffective without it.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a fall playing tennis a little over a month ago, after which (2 or 3 days) a pain developed in my hip. I thought it was the beginning of sciatica, which I've had before, but the pain has slowly intensified and now is so excruciating that I can hardly walk when I wake up in the morning. Advil is the only thing that seems to keep the pain at bay. An orthopedist prescribed steroids, thinking it was an inflamed muscle, but they have done no good. I am thinking I have an acute case of bursitis and am going back to the doctor today.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had severe right hip pain for about 7 months, my primary care physician has just diagnosed me with bursitis. I had my first physical therapy session today, I am very optimistic that the therapist that has set up a treatment plan over the next two months will be successful in treating my pain. I will keep everyone advised as my treatment progresses.

Comment from: Lora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had surgery last January 2013 for hip pain. It was my bursa. The bursa sac was gooey. The doctor melted it out. I was pain free for a few weeks. I did physical therapy but still in pain. This is now November and my pain is unbearable. I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes then I can hardly stand up or put any weight on my left leg. As soon as I can stretch, then I can walk. I am going to try the deep sea krill.

Comment from: trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am in the process of having P-STIM. It involves no medication and is a small device that stimulates the acupuncture points in the body. It is Medicare approved and is helping with that awful bursitis, no more injections for me.

Comment from: 71cudagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a 35 year old female that was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had severe pain, multiple types of therapy including injections, and nothing helps. I was in an auto accident and I believe it was the trauma caused by the accident that has caused the pain in my hip. My orthopedic physician however feels that he cannot state that there is any correlation between the accident and my hip pain.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?