Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Published: July 30

I am a 60 yr old female who developed bursitis after a visit to Italy. An eight hour plane ride and walking up hills in Italy gave me a most excruciating unusual pain in my hip that I thought might be apendicitis. It was always worse after sitting for a while and walking made it worse. I have had it now for 3 weeks and the doctors have given me NSAIDS, muscle relaxers and pain meds. The only thing that has alleviated the pain is the pain meds. I am in need of losing at least 100 lbs, but after reading these blogs, it doesn't look like that would even help. My mother had hip bursitis also and hers has not returned. She waited until she felt better and now does daily hip muscle strengthening exercises, which may be the ticket to recovery.

Published: July 25

I have been having pain in my hip for seven months and the doctor told me it was likely lower back strain. I told her it felt more like a joint. I couldn't sleep at night and couldn't put my foot down in the morning without excruciating pain. Sitting was unbearable. Yesterday, I went to a Chinese Doctor and had acupuncture. I got off the table with no pain. It got a little worse towards the end of the day, but I put heat on it and took ibuprofen and went to bed with no pain, slept right through without pain, woke up without pain, and am just starting midday to get pain again. Second acupuncture treatment this afternoon -- he recommends three in a row, then some maintenance as needed. He is certain he can treat this so I have no pain. I am very hopeful. Sympathize with you all -- have never felt a pain like this. Try to find someone who can do acupuncture. Don't be afraid of needles, they just prick slightly and are nothing like the pain of bursitis.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have pain in the groin and there is fluid around the hip joint.

Comment from: pepper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have pain at night when I try to turn in the bed. The hip bursitis is so painful that it makes me scream.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My bursa on my right hip have been inflamed for years now, the doctor gave me injections twice in 6 months, I am still in pain, he is now going to remove the bursa.

Comment from: Skip, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had hip pain for more than 10 years now. The doctor said it is bursitis but it won't go away, instead it is worse. I am moderately active and have had no injuries.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 63 year old female and I have had hip bursitis for several months. I had 2 cortisone injections with minimal relief. Now I am going to try the foam roller to stretch out the IT (iliotibial) band to see if that works. I am a side sleeper, but the hip pain will not allow me to sleep on either side.

Comment from: squeak, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had this lump on my hip for many years; I can't lie on it because it hurts too much. It hurts all the way down my leg if I lay on it because of my hip bursitis.

Comment from: Franki1331, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I suffered extreme pain for 21/2 years after hip,replacement, finally I got a diagnosis that it was bursitis, I got a shot of cortisone in the bursa and the pain is gone. I hope it lasts, I have heard you can repeat these shots if the pain returns, what a relief, it sure took a longtime to diagnose it.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?