Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Ekimnilknarf, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 16

I got off my exercise bike 28 months ago. I felt pain in my left hip. I've been through 3 orthopedists, 4 injections; been forced to sit my life away. The last orthopedist wants bursectomy, slice open ugh, I can't face that with other health issues. I saw pain doctor the other day, she wants nerve block injections. Now today out of the blue I am finding it hard to sit without pain... what to do!

Comment from: Littlebooboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been suffering with trochanteric hip bursitis for ten years. I have had numerous Cortizone injections which help but cause leg weakening, making it difficult to walk. I am petite and weigh less than 110 lbs, so weight is not part of the problem. I use ice, heat, stretching and pain medications.

Comment from: Pam D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I work hard at gardening etc., outdoor work. I'm hard at work, then from nothing my hip will freeze in excruciating pain leaving me frozen to the spot. It feels like a catch in my hip. It can take anything from 30 minutes to 19 hours to ping. Then I"m back in full swing.

Comment from: Logansmomi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with hip bursitis in December 2013, but the pain started months before. I just kept

Comment from: Twotutor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My mother had hip replacement surgery in November 2013. She had physical therapy and does exercises at home. She still had pain in her hip and went to the doctor who told her she had bursitis in that hip and gave her a shot. She"s still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: julestaylor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I went to the sports medicine doctor yesterday and he diagnosed right hip trochanteric bursitis and said I would eventually need a left knee replacement. He did give me an injection in my left knee but did not offer a hip injection - just prescribed ice and two exercises.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I just found out I have both types of hip bursitis, and already had arthritis diagnosed last year in same hip. I have a fantastic orthopedic surgeon. He replaced both knees 4 years ago, one at a time 3 months apart. No problem there! I was back to my old self, lost 30 pounds and felt great, until a couple months ago. Now he says we may be talking hip replacement, but that is still up for discussion. My suggestion to anyone at any age is, find yourself a really good orthopedic surgeon and don"t wait! I procrastinated with my knees for 10 years as they progressed to the point where I almost could not walk. And now I"m paying the price. The longer you keep going with pain and joint issues, the more damage you are doing to healthy joints.

Comment from: Jazzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a 38 year old women and I have hip bursitis in both hips now for about 10 months; my mother also has it. Some days are better than some. At this present time Jan 2014 I am in extreme pain and it is making sleeping nearly impossible. I am taking my anti-inflammatory medication and it does help slightly but I am thinking I might try the injections, but just a bit nervous about it. I just wish the pain would go away.

Comment from: Sham, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have recently contracted bursitis after starting to train for a half marathon. I've been off running for 2 to 3 weeks now. I am finding pain relief through ibuprofen. I have also been using turmeric. It is a very strong anti-inflammatory aid and I've started taking it in a drink every day and seen that I am finding less acute pain. It still keeps me up at night but is less bothersome in the day. Turmeric also has a whole load of other properties that are good for you. I take turmeric with oil (only olive or coconut as other oils can actually cause more inflammation) and some black pepper as they aid absorption. Turmeric is quite ineffective without it.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?