Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Marian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For a few years now I have had pain in the hip area after a dancing injury. I had it treated with physiotherapy but realized, after 3 weeks rest from a coccyx injury that the hip did not improve. I had further investigation which led to the discovery of a hip bursa. I had the cortisone injection the same day of the scan (2 weeks ago) but no improvement at all so I will need to investigate further. Typical symptoms are pain on side of the hip and the muscles around the area and inability to sit for long as it feels like a muscle spasm occurs and I need to massage the area. I cannot exercise, especially climb a hill or walk for very long as the pain escalates.

Comment from: Anita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm 39. I have hip bursitis. It started 3 months ago. I also have patellofemoral syndrome in my knees and nd have pain in my iliotibial (IT) Band, but my doctor says its not IT band syndrome. The pain is severe in my hips, and my upper legs. I can't sleep on my side at night. I can barley walk up and down stairs. I suffer at work; I stand most of the day. Exercise and stretching makes it hurt more. Ice, 800 mg Motrin, Vicodin, and meloxicam doesn't even touch the pain! Unreal. What a life! I can't take this much longer. I'm pretty much disabled. I feel like I will be in a wheel chair soon and on disability. My muscles are so weak its unreal. I'm depressed.

Comment from: CYNTHIA, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with trochanteric bursitis. My doctor put me on naproxen for about a month but I stopped as it didn't do any good. It was worse nighttime when I went to bed, turning all night long from side to side. The pain is almost continuous now not only in my hip, but radiates down my leg right to my foot. I am doubting it is bursitis as I didn't think it radiated down my leg. I would like to know what would be the best procedure to confirm that it is bursitis, x-ray, CT scan, ultra sound or MRI.

Comment from: Sailor, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

Do not take steroid injections too often for bursitis as they can impact/kill your adrenal gland. I know from experience and medical diagnosis that is what happened to me.

Comment from: DarcNLvly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My bursitis pain in both hips is sharp, hot and stabbing. It travels down bottom of buttocks, and both legs. I have tingling in toes and balls of feet. The tingling travels up to knee.

Comment from: HJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I fell on August 9th 2014, landed on my left side, cut my scalp and ended up in the hospital for three days. The decision for the reason for the fall was blood pressure and black out. I fell on my left side and had pain in the area of a bursa and have been in pain ever since and forced to using a walker. I am under the care of a physical therapist.

Comment from: Mdgaribay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have bursitis in my left hip currently and have also had it in the right hip. I have had injections in both hips but this time they haven't worked. I'm very frustrated with this pain I also have rheumatoid arthritis which probably why I have the bursitis. It's incredible pain! I feel like there is no relief and I worry about working like this. I'm a teacher and it's very difficult to be around children when you're in pain. Thanks for listening!

Comment from: Yoli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered for several years with bursitis over my right hip, and had to have it surgically removed in 2011. Three years later, 2014, and I have to have the left one removed as well, yesterday.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?