Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: rebecca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I never knew what or why I was feeling so much pain in just one hip. I had asked my doctor and he basically blew it off. I am diabetic and was afraid. I went to a new doctor that explained to me I had bursitis and that neuropathy was concentrated in the feet. Boy, did I feel stupid. The only way for me to explain my pain was the feeling that I had laid on a rock in the hip area and the pain traveled down my leg to the knee and a burning sensation in my calf. I was told that it was most likely because of how I walked because of the pain in my hip. It pays to have a good doctor.

Comment from: swimmer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had trochanteric bursitis for 6 months. I went to physical therapy which made it worse. I had hydrocortisone injections 4 weeks ago and am icing the area 30 minutes 3 times a day. I am experiencing some relief.

Comment from: heatherfeather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am very active with ballroom dancing and working out at the gym with weights and on all machines. I have been to the doctor's for hip pain and hamstring. I was told by one doctor that I am not allowing my body time to heal. But walking also causes issues and I must walk! I still work out and dance but have scaled back on the amount of weight and the incline. I am not overweight. I don't like to take medication. I think I need to back off working out more. This is hard for me to do! I bought an extra thick cushion for my bed top to help with night pain.

Comment from: Ekimnilknarf, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 16

I got off my exercise bike 28 months ago. I felt pain in my left hip. I've been through 3 orthopedists, 4 injections; been forced to sit my life away. The last orthopedist wants bursectomy, slice open ugh, I can't face that with other health issues. I saw pain doctor the other day, she wants nerve block injections. Now today out of the blue I am finding it hard to sit without pain... what to do!

Comment from: Littlebooboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been suffering with trochanteric hip bursitis for ten years. I have had numerous Cortizone injections which help but cause leg weakening, making it difficult to walk. I am petite and weigh less than 110 lbs, so weight is not part of the problem. I use ice, heat, stretching and pain medications.

Comment from: Pam D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I work hard at gardening etc., outdoor work. I'm hard at work, then from nothing my hip will freeze in excruciating pain leaving me frozen to the spot. It feels like a catch in my hip. It can take anything from 30 minutes to 19 hours to ping. Then I"m back in full swing.

Comment from: Logansmomi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with hip bursitis in December 2013, but the pain started months before. I just kept

Comment from: Twotutor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My mother had hip replacement surgery in November 2013. She had physical therapy and does exercises at home. She still had pain in her hip and went to the doctor who told her she had bursitis in that hip and gave her a shot. She"s still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: julestaylor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I went to the sports medicine doctor yesterday and he diagnosed right hip trochanteric bursitis and said I would eventually need a left knee replacement. He did give me an injection in my left knee but did not offer a hip injection - just prescribed ice and two exercises.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?