Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: lindai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

The symptoms I experience with hip bursitis is burning pain on my right hip that goes down the side of my leg. There is a little bit of tenderness in the front of my hip and I walk with a slight limp when it flares up. I am of normal weight (129 lbs) but I sleep on my right side every night and I think the pressure causes the pain. I also have back issues that may exacerbate the pain in the muscles.

Comment from: Hurting, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 49 year old female. Over the years I would have severe left hip pain while sitting for long time, thought it was sciatic nerve. Fifteen years ago I fractured my back, snow tubing, so this was all related. About 6 months ago I started to have constant left hip pain going down my leg past my knees. I couldn't sleep. I would have to get up and walk around, nor could I sit or stand for long periods of time, which I just thought, over time, was my back. Finally I went to a hip doctor a month ago and he said it was trochanteric bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot and did physical therapy for about a month. Well, the shot lasted about 10 days and therapy helped but as soon as I stopped, the pain came back full force. He sent me to back doctor who thought it was sciatic nerve, had MRI done this week. Although it showed minor/old fractures and some disc bulging there was nothing to worry about so it was not a nerve or spine. They gave me another shot today and told me to ice twice a day, try physical therapy again for 4 weeks and told me take naproxen, it takes the edge off but that's about it, but I'll try it again. The pain sometimes is so unbearable, I just want to cry. So hoping the 2nd shot will help and I can finally get some sleep.

Comment from: Marian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For a few years now I have had pain in the hip area after a dancing injury. I had it treated with physiotherapy but realized, after 3 weeks rest from a coccyx injury that the hip did not improve. I had further investigation which led to the discovery of a hip bursa. I had the cortisone injection the same day of the scan (2 weeks ago) but no improvement at all so I will need to investigate further. Typical symptoms are pain on side of the hip and the muscles around the area and inability to sit for long as it feels like a muscle spasm occurs and I need to massage the area. I cannot exercise, especially climb a hill or walk for very long as the pain escalates.

Comment from: Anita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm 39. I have hip bursitis. It started 3 months ago. I also have patellofemoral syndrome in my knees and nd have pain in my iliotibial (IT) Band, but my doctor says its not IT band syndrome. The pain is severe in my hips, and my upper legs. I can't sleep on my side at night. I can barley walk up and down stairs. I suffer at work; I stand most of the day. Exercise and stretching makes it hurt more. Ice, 800 mg Motrin, Vicodin, and meloxicam doesn't even touch the pain! Unreal. What a life! I can't take this much longer. I'm pretty much disabled. I feel like I will be in a wheel chair soon and on disability. My muscles are so weak its unreal. I'm depressed.

Comment from: HJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I fell on August 9th 2014, landed on my left side, cut my scalp and ended up in the hospital for three days. The decision for the reason for the fall was blood pressure and black out. I fell on my left side and had pain in the area of a bursa and have been in pain ever since and forced to using a walker. I am under the care of a physical therapist.

Comment from: Mdgaribay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have bursitis in my left hip currently and have also had it in the right hip. I have had injections in both hips but this time they haven't worked. I'm very frustrated with this pain I also have rheumatoid arthritis which probably why I have the bursitis. It's incredible pain! I feel like there is no relief and I worry about working like this. I'm a teacher and it's very difficult to be around children when you're in pain. Thanks for listening!

Comment from: Yoli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered for several years with bursitis over my right hip, and had to have it surgically removed in 2011. Three years later, 2014, and I have to have the left one removed as well, yesterday.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?