Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: MaureenPD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am just told by my doctor that she believes I have left hip bursitis. The pain is very excruciating. It is more when I am sitting or lying down. I am taking anti-inflammatory and pain medications and pills to help me sleep.

Comment from: lucylilac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I fell 2 years ago and since then my left hip has been very painful. After sitting for any length of time I am almost lame when I get up. I can walk it off after a bit, but the pain is always there, sometimes radiating up my back and into my shoulder and neck, making the muscle spasm. I've done chiropractic and physical therapy both of which didn't help. I am 56 and not overweight. During my last visit to the doctor, he diagnosed bursitis and suggested a cortisone injection and when it is calmed down, a course of physical therapy with ultrasound this time.

Comment from: Coral, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip 3 years ago (this is a hip replacement). Luckily my friend knew someone who had a blood injection into his bursa and it took away the pain. I made inquiries, and had it done under an ultrasound at the local hospital. I used crutches for four days to keep the weight off of my hip and rested. Within a week I had no pain and that lasted for eleven months. I now have bursitis on the left hip and have them done when needed. The last injection I had the blood was spun and I had only a platelet injection. The blood is your own, taken from your arm, between 3 to 5 mls.

Comment from: Reds, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed pain in my left hip rather quickly. My doctor, based on X rays, diagnosed it as arthritis. My hip was very painful from the hip down to my knee and across my left buttock. Sleep was difficult as lying on either side would cause pain enough to wake me and keep me awake. An orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with bursitis in just a couple of minutes my turning and bending my leg. He said I was too flexible to have arthritis in that hip. He gave me a cortisone shot and the pain disappeared within hours.

Comment from: J Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Since 2010 I have had hip pain in both hips (and subsequently had three hip surgeries: one arthroscopy and both total hip replacements). I am an avid hiker and hike 3.5 miles every day, plus am in an active profession (veterinarian). One of the things that the MRIs have shown over these past three years is bilateral trochanteric bursitis. The bad hip pain is gone due to the total hip replacements, but the bursitis persists, making even walking painful. I have had intrabursal injections of cortisone, which has helped a little bit, but am looking for some good exercises that will help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: kayakgirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 70 years old and quite active. My hip started to hurt last October. It got so bad that I was limping and the pain went down my leg past the knee. My doctor gave me a shot in my hip, but it still hurt. In December of 2012 my MD referred me to an orthopedic / sports medicine doctor. He told me to get one of those hard, foam cylinders about 6 inches in diameter. Mine is 36 inches long. I also have a 24-inch long one that fits in my suitcase for travel. Well, he said to roll my bad side on it between the hip (not on the hip bone) and the knee. He said it will hurt so bad, you may only be able to stand 45 seconds. He was right, but I kept doing it every day. He said to do both legs to keep things balanced. He said it was stretching out the iliotibial (IT) band. It was like a miracle. Within three days, the pain was manageable. I have to do it every day to "keep the pain at bay," but it does make all the difference. Even though I was much improved I did have the guided injection of cortisone. He used an ultrasound to see exactly where the needle was going. He said the injection would help the inflammation while I healed.

Published: August 01

I am a 66 year old female and have bursitis for approximately 1 1/2 years. I've had physical therapy, cortisone injections, tried heat/ice, and paid meds. I get relief maybe as longs as two weeks, but it comes back. I cannot take anti inflammatory drugs (history of ulcers) and my Arthritis Dr. does not want me to have any more Cortizone due to osteoporosis bone density is -3.2. I've seen an Orthopedic Dr. and he wants to do surgery. I also have a large calcium deposit in the area of the bursa. I'm considering the surgery, if I can get some relief with the surgery, it will be worth it to me.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?