Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: verde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The hip bursitis started for me about 2 years ago. I run on an average, 25 miles per week. I have received cortisone injections in the past, and have had some relief. My pain is initiated by sitting and laying on the affected side. Currently I am on 600 mg Motrin 3 times a day. Recently I had new orthotics made to assist with this issue. I just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy. They used massage, used TENS, and gave me an assortment of exercises. I have improved greatly. I purchased a TENS unit and have decreased the Motrin and continue to run. I really think that this will never go away, but will need to manage it through exercises and stretching.

Comment from: geraldine47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had arthroscopy surgery on my left knee a year ago and just had the right knee done on October 31st, 2013 and I am still in chronic pain; I don't know which one is worse, they both hurt and on top of that I have bursitis in both hips. I am not getting any sleep at night. The pain radiates down my legs and I'm having problem with my left foot. Bottom line, I have several joint pains and nobody seems to be able to diagnose the problem, they keep saying it is arthritis. I have seen the rheumatologist, they did some blood work and said everything was negative, I want to know what I need to do. I got an appointment with the arthritis doctor, the same one who diagnosed me with bursitis and all he did was gave me cortisone shots and physical therapy, which did not help. It's impossible for me to even sit on my buttocks now without having severe pain.

Comment from: Townie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am 54. I am suffering from hip pain in my groin and side after a fall split style on a wet side kitchen floor. After a month my pain moved to the side of my hip after exercise walking and walking up to my 3rd floor apt. Thank goodness, my primary physician immediately referred me to an orthopedic doctor. After exam he diagnosed me with hip bursitis and still unclear about the groin pain with bone structure a little off. He used the ultrasound to inject the pain medicine and steroid shots. I felt ok for the first 12 hours but the pain is back. I am trying to move to a first or second floor apt.

Comment from: suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have been dealing with this hip/lower back pain for a very long time. I use 2 different patches one is called Lidoderm for pain and the other is Flector for reducing inflammation and a TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit to help with the pain. I love this TENS unit, I feel the tingling from it and not the pain, I sometimes move the wrong way and it feels as if someone stabbed me in the lower back with an ice pick! It will stop me right in my tracks. Then I get the pain shooting down my leg past my knee.

Comment from: Dandilyun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had bursitis for over 20 years. I thought at first it was due to child birthing, and then thought it was fibromyalgia. Last year I decided to see what could be done, and went to the doctor. It was bursitis all this time! I Have pain in both hips, and toss and turn all night. I started getting nerve pain on the right side that would go down the leg a few inches, and across the right buttock. It was painful and left me feeling cross and agitated. Clothing hurt and, the seat belt hurt. I received cortisone shots. It wasn't horrible, and after about a week I was pain free. I went back 5 months later, and this time 10 months later, plus physiotherapy. The doctor mentioned endoscopic surgery, something to think about. I waited over 20 years for nothing; should have gone in sooner.

Comment from: ruthe60, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Had my left hip replaced in 2011 and in late September of this year, developed bursitis, according to my doctor. I did exercises as given and as long as I kept moving it was ok. Then I had surgery on a finger which became infected and I was given two different antibiotics and my bursitis went away. Now, in November, it is back. I wonder if the antibiotics could have done that. I consider myself very active, playing golf, exercise regularly, etc.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I've had problems with hip bursitis since I was 17 (now I'm 33). It came on rather unexpectedly when I was a runner in high school. It has affected how I exercise ever since and I wish I could find a doctor who would help me in a meaningful way with it. All I've ever been told is to pop some ibuprofen. Well, the problem with that is that ibuprofen tears up my stomach. But I have to say the thing that has helped the most with relieving the pain long term is losing weight. Yes, folks, it really does help. I've dealt with this for 16 years and in that time period I went from 180 pounds to 135 pounds and when I was 135 pounds, I experienced a very small amount of pain when I really over-exerted myself but when my weight was at 180, I had some serious pain with even just moderate amounts of activity. Losing weight will really help and I'm not saying this to be mean, but just to tell the honest truth.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?