Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Sham, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have recently contracted bursitis after starting to train for a half marathon. I've been off running for 2 to 3 weeks now. I am finding pain relief through ibuprofen. I have also been using turmeric. It is a very strong anti-inflammatory aid and I've started taking it in a drink every day and seen that I am finding less acute pain. It still keeps me up at night but is less bothersome in the day. Turmeric also has a whole load of other properties that are good for you. I take turmeric with oil (only olive or coconut as other oils can actually cause more inflammation) and some black pepper as they aid absorption. Turmeric is quite ineffective without it.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a fall playing tennis a little over a month ago, after which (2 or 3 days) a pain developed in my hip. I thought it was the beginning of sciatica, which I've had before, but the pain has slowly intensified and now is so excruciating that I can hardly walk when I wake up in the morning. Advil is the only thing that seems to keep the pain at bay. An orthopedist prescribed steroids, thinking it was an inflamed muscle, but they have done no good. I am thinking I have an acute case of bursitis and am going back to the doctor today.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had severe right hip pain for about 7 months, my primary care physician has just diagnosed me with bursitis. I had my first physical therapy session today, I am very optimistic that the therapist that has set up a treatment plan over the next two months will be successful in treating my pain. I will keep everyone advised as my treatment progresses.

Comment from: Lora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had surgery last January 2013 for hip pain. It was my bursa. The bursa sac was gooey. The doctor melted it out. I was pain free for a few weeks. I did physical therapy but still in pain. This is now November and my pain is unbearable. I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes then I can hardly stand up or put any weight on my left leg. As soon as I can stretch, then I can walk. I am going to try the deep sea krill.

Comment from: trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am in the process of having P-STIM. It involves no medication and is a small device that stimulates the acupuncture points in the body. It is Medicare approved and is helping with that awful bursitis, no more injections for me.

Comment from: 71cudagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a 35 year old female that was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had severe pain, multiple types of therapy including injections, and nothing helps. I was in an auto accident and I believe it was the trauma caused by the accident that has caused the pain in my hip. My orthopedic physician however feels that he cannot state that there is any correlation between the accident and my hip pain.

Comment from: Debiouch!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I've had what I'm told is bursitis for going on 8 months now. I noticed a sore hip more and more while at the gym but it became acute for the past 6 months which made no sense as I had a full cast on my arm and was unable to bike so my hip was rested for most of the summer (no gym every day for starters). I had a cortisone shot and it didn't seem to help at all. All I know is I want it gone so I can go back to hiking/biking and every day activities I so enjoy.

Comment from: jeansplace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having hip pain in 2010; the doctor said it was just arthritis and prescribed naproxen. In 2013 I changed the doctor and an MRI was taken which showed no arthritis but bursitis. I will be seeing an orthopedic doctor next year. I have suffered for 3 years now and need relief. The pain pills and physical therapy have not helped but seem to make it worse. Walking and sleeping are very painful.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?