Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Marian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

For a few years now I have had pain in the hip area after a dancing injury. I had it treated with physiotherapy but realized, after 3 weeks rest from a coccyx injury that the hip did not improve. I had further investigation which led to the discovery of a hip bursa. I had the cortisone injection the same day of the scan (2 weeks ago) but no improvement at all so I will need to investigate further. Typical symptoms are pain on side of the hip and the muscles around the area and inability to sit for long as it feels like a muscle spasm occurs and I need to massage the area. I cannot exercise, especially climb a hill or walk for very long as the pain escalates.

Comment from: Anita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm 39. I have hip bursitis. It started 3 months ago. I also have patellofemoral syndrome in my knees and nd have pain in my iliotibial (IT) Band, but my doctor says its not IT band syndrome. The pain is severe in my hips, and my upper legs. I can't sleep on my side at night. I can barley walk up and down stairs. I suffer at work; I stand most of the day. Exercise and stretching makes it hurt more. Ice, 800 mg Motrin, Vicodin, and meloxicam doesn't even touch the pain! Unreal. What a life! I can't take this much longer. I'm pretty much disabled. I feel like I will be in a wheel chair soon and on disability. My muscles are so weak its unreal. I'm depressed.

Comment from: Pam D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I work hard at gardening etc., outdoor work. I'm hard at work, then from nothing my hip will freeze in excruciating pain leaving me frozen to the spot. It feels like a catch in my hip. It can take anything from 30 minutes to 19 hours to ping. Then I"m back in full swing.

Comment from: Logansmomi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with hip bursitis in December 2013, but the pain started months before. I just kept

Comment from: Twotutor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My mother had hip replacement surgery in November 2013. She had physical therapy and does exercises at home. She still had pain in her hip and went to the doctor who told her she had bursitis in that hip and gave her a shot. She"s still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: julestaylor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I went to the sports medicine doctor yesterday and he diagnosed right hip trochanteric bursitis and said I would eventually need a left knee replacement. He did give me an injection in my left knee but did not offer a hip injection - just prescribed ice and two exercises.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I just found out I have both types of hip bursitis, and already had arthritis diagnosed last year in same hip. I have a fantastic orthopedic surgeon. He replaced both knees 4 years ago, one at a time 3 months apart. No problem there! I was back to my old self, lost 30 pounds and felt great, until a couple months ago. Now he says we may be talking hip replacement, but that is still up for discussion. My suggestion to anyone at any age is, find yourself a really good orthopedic surgeon and don"t wait! I procrastinated with my knees for 10 years as they progressed to the point where I almost could not walk. And now I"m paying the price. The longer you keep going with pain and joint issues, the more damage you are doing to healthy joints.

Comment from: Jazzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a 38 year old women and I have hip bursitis in both hips now for about 10 months; my mother also has it. Some days are better than some. At this present time Jan 2014 I am in extreme pain and it is making sleeping nearly impossible. I am taking my anti-inflammatory medication and it does help slightly but I am thinking I might try the injections, but just a bit nervous about it. I just wish the pain would go away.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?