Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Prayers4u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 60 years old and have had bursitis in both hips and knees for the last twelve years. Early on I was also diagnosed with lupus and connective tissue disease. But repeated ultrasounds and hydrocortisone treatments have confirmed bursitis. I have been on 400 mg of Celebrex forever. It really helps with much of the pain and it is not an opiate. I also detoxify at least three times a year by fasting 10 days. I eat a very healthy diet, no dairy, lots of vegetables, lots of water, high protein low carbohydrate and avoid at all costs acidic foods - see gout diet. Light exercise and stretching is good; no stairs ever, it inflames the condition.

Comment from: naturegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had a desk job for 25 years, and have been an active person. I have slight to moderate arthritis in my hands and hips. I have had what I now believe is bursitis in my left hip for about a year. I work for a physical therapist and personal trainer, and I believe that my core strengthening has been the biggest help. Ultrasound directly on the bursa helps too. I experience what so many others have expressed, pain walking on inclines, and especially pain and throbbing at night while in bed, unable to lie on either side. Engaging the core when climbing stairs really helps, as well as the very regular stretching and yoga. I always feel the best after my short workouts. On bad days I take naproxen and actually feel pretty good.

Comment from: zara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was unlucky enough to have 2 car accidents in my first year of driving in 2012. In the first, I just had a bad muscle inflammation and had physiotherapy. Just 10 days after all treatment was finished, the second one happened. It started with a horrible ache on the outer hip and started going in to the bum and leg when I was at work. As a home to home health care assistant it was just too painful to work and I couldn't sleep with the bursitis pain. It felt like my hip was grinding down to the bone and there was pain in my legs. So I went to the doctor and he gave me a steroid injection that hurt like anything and did nothing but left me with a dent the size of the palm of my hand. I had a lot of back pain from the accident but they said they were not sure if it was my sciatic nerve or 2 different problems. Everything took so long before I even saw a consultant that things got to the point I couldn't walk or bear any weight on my right hip. After a year of having most of my weight on my left, that is now starting to develop the same pain. I finally got an appointment and am getting help but the pain gets a lot worse before it gets better with all the prodding a pulling. Good luck to anyone that has this horrible problem.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed a year ago with osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia of the hips, both caused by chemotherapy treatment. Now I have bursitis in both hips, the left being the worst. I have had 2 injections in the hip, fluoroscopy, and ultra sound injection. Nothing has helped. I can't sleep. I am a bartender, so I cry all the way home from working 6 plus hours. My quality of life is horrible. It seems my orthopedic doctor is just giving me the run around. My pain medications don't work. Neither does the meloxicam. It's looking like disability is in my future.

Comment from: Hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had hip bursitis in the left hip for several months. I have had a cortisone injection, and several weeks of physical therapy. I also continued the exercises on my own at home. So far I have had very little relief. The pain is much worse at night. I cannot get a night of rest without waking every hour in pain. I have tried heat and ice. Exercise and stretching helps more, although walking does aggravate it. I am contemplating surgery. Mine is the trochanteric type.

Comment from: chloe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I'm 52 years old, female. I stepped up miles on my recumbent bike, and downhill skied in the same week. This extra activity caused trochanteric bursitis; literally stopped me in my tracks. I fell, getting off toilet, and using steps. My left leg just gave out. While going to a chiropractor I discovered my hips get "out of place". I had not been to a chiropractor in about a year. The clinic doctor gave me Flexeril and prednisone along with Aleve, I'm better 24 hours after diagnosis. Not to mention I have an appointment with my chiropractor. This pain was worse than giving birth, by far. I cried, and I never cry. The spasms are unbearable. I would try anything if this treatment doesn't work. Acupuncture, cortisone shots, and even surgery. A person is almost disabled by this diagnosis.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?