Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Patsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My hip bursitis began after months of ballet exercises in a hot pool. I was proud of my flexibility (especially for my age) and guess I overdid it. I also have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I have tried everything and will tell you what worked. I injected myself with 1ml B12 for ten days - 50% reduction in pain and stiffness. Use the "MELT" method (foam roller) to rehydrate tissues - 20-30% improvement so long as I do it every day. I"ve never had cortisone shots but take turmeric 4 capsules/day and also do periodic fasting on water only for one week at a time - this also works and is not as hard as you"d think! Low dose naltrexone (LDN) keeps the RA in order and thus helps with bursitis.

Comment from: Shanna2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip 7 years ago. I went in for an injection, he did it under some sort of x-ray and it seemed to ease up a bit. I am a very active but somewhat overweight, 5'4" and weigh approximately 205 lbs., but I am extremely active in cycling, Krav Maga and strength training. About three or four years ago it moved to both hips. About a year ago I went back to my doctor to get another injection but this time I went to a different doctor. And he just did it in his office and I got no relief. I tried it again 6 weeks later and again nothing, so I decided cortisone just isn't for me. I can't sleep on either side for any length of time because of the pain. The stretching exercise my doctor sent me home with is painful because it is designed for someone with only one sided bursitis. I am tired of being in pain and don't know what else to do but 7 years of constant pain wears on me!

Comment from: MiamiA1A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have trochanteric bursitis in my right hip. It is probably caused by uneven leg length. My right leg is 2 in. longer than the left; about an inch and a half of the discrepancy is in the thigh. I have had this since May "13. It is quite painful and is limiting my activities. I have not had a cortisone shot yet, because they are expensive, and I kept hoping it would go away. Stretches and anti-inflammatory drugs are the only treatment I have tried.

Comment from: Mtngirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have bursitis in both hips but worse in my right. It has been active for over 5 years now. Occasional injections of steroids at the site have eased the pain. I also have active are rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. I am beginning to believe the RA is in the hip joints as well. Walking any distance is a no no, for my hip will give way. And actually walking uphill is easier! I am taking water aerobics and swimming, using heat and water therapy helps so much. I am overweight, so it could be a factor as well; but working on that also.

Comment from: Prayers4u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 60 years old and have had bursitis in both hips and knees for the last twelve years. Early on I was also diagnosed with lupus and connective tissue disease. But repeated ultrasounds and hydrocortisone treatments have confirmed bursitis. I have been on 400 mg of Celebrex forever. It really helps with much of the pain and it is not an opiate. I also detoxify at least three times a year by fasting 10 days. I eat a very healthy diet, no dairy, lots of vegetables, lots of water, high protein low carbohydrate and avoid at all costs acidic foods - see gout diet. Light exercise and stretching is good; no stairs ever, it inflames the condition.

Comment from: naturegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had a desk job for 25 years, and have been an active person. I have slight to moderate arthritis in my hands and hips. I have had what I now believe is bursitis in my left hip for about a year. I work for a physical therapist and personal trainer, and I believe that my core strengthening has been the biggest help. Ultrasound directly on the bursa helps too. I experience what so many others have expressed, pain walking on inclines, and especially pain and throbbing at night while in bed, unable to lie on either side. Engaging the core when climbing stairs really helps, as well as the very regular stretching and yoga. I always feel the best after my short workouts. On bad days I take naproxen and actually feel pretty good.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?