Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed a year ago with osteoporosis of the spine and osteopenia of the hips, both caused by chemotherapy treatment. Now I have bursitis in both hips, the left being the worst. I have had 2 injections in the hip, fluoroscopy, and ultra sound injection. Nothing has helped. I can't sleep. I am a bartender, so I cry all the way home from working 6 plus hours. My quality of life is horrible. It seems my orthopedic doctor is just giving me the run around. My pain medications don't work. Neither does the meloxicam. It's looking like disability is in my future.

Comment from: Hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had hip bursitis in the left hip for several months. I have had a cortisone injection, and several weeks of physical therapy. I also continued the exercises on my own at home. So far I have had very little relief. The pain is much worse at night. I cannot get a night of rest without waking every hour in pain. I have tried heat and ice. Exercise and stretching helps more, although walking does aggravate it. I am contemplating surgery. Mine is the trochanteric type.

Comment from: chloe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I'm 52 years old, female. I stepped up miles on my recumbent bike, and downhill skied in the same week. This extra activity caused trochanteric bursitis; literally stopped me in my tracks. I fell, getting off toilet, and using steps. My left leg just gave out. While going to a chiropractor I discovered my hips get "out of place". I had not been to a chiropractor in about a year. The clinic doctor gave me Flexeril and prednisone along with Aleve, I'm better 24 hours after diagnosis. Not to mention I have an appointment with my chiropractor. This pain was worse than giving birth, by far. I cried, and I never cry. The spasms are unbearable. I would try anything if this treatment doesn't work. Acupuncture, cortisone shots, and even surgery. A person is almost disabled by this diagnosis.

Comment from: verde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The hip bursitis started for me about 2 years ago. I run on an average, 25 miles per week. I have received cortisone injections in the past, and have had some relief. My pain is initiated by sitting and laying on the affected side. Currently I am on 600 mg Motrin 3 times a day. Recently I had new orthotics made to assist with this issue. I just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy. They used massage, used TENS, and gave me an assortment of exercises. I have improved greatly. I purchased a TENS unit and have decreased the Motrin and continue to run. I really think that this will never go away, but will need to manage it through exercises and stretching.

Comment from: geraldine47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had arthroscopy surgery on my left knee a year ago and just had the right knee done on October 31st, 2013 and I am still in chronic pain; I don't know which one is worse, they both hurt and on top of that I have bursitis in both hips. I am not getting any sleep at night. The pain radiates down my legs and I'm having problem with my left foot. Bottom line, I have several joint pains and nobody seems to be able to diagnose the problem, they keep saying it is arthritis. I have seen the rheumatologist, they did some blood work and said everything was negative, I want to know what I need to do. I got an appointment with the arthritis doctor, the same one who diagnosed me with bursitis and all he did was gave me cortisone shots and physical therapy, which did not help. It's impossible for me to even sit on my buttocks now without having severe pain.

Comment from: Townie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am 54. I am suffering from hip pain in my groin and side after a fall split style on a wet side kitchen floor. After a month my pain moved to the side of my hip after exercise walking and walking up to my 3rd floor apt. Thank goodness, my primary physician immediately referred me to an orthopedic doctor. After exam he diagnosed me with hip bursitis and still unclear about the groin pain with bone structure a little off. He used the ultrasound to inject the pain medicine and steroid shots. I felt ok for the first 12 hours but the pain is back. I am trying to move to a first or second floor apt.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?