Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have an ache in my left hip, worse at night, and I find I cannot sleep on the affected side. It's worse when walking upstairs or uphill. The ache can wake me up at night. It's a definite ache rather than pain. I can turn it off and ignore while working. But at night it's annoying. I've been to the doctor and she said it is classic bursitis. I will be going for an x-ray. I've been given anti-inflammatory painkillers. I can have steroid injection if it persists.

Comment from: Janiebaby, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had no pain whatsoever until two months ago. One morning when I stood up getting out of bed, the pain was so excruciating that I had to drop back down on the mattress. I made an appointment with my doctor immediately, she ordered an x-ray after performing a thorough examination. I had hip bursitis on the right side. I could not sit for long or sleep on that side without horrible pain plus walking was practically out of the question. Today I had a steroid shot and the pain is gone! Such relief. I am now to go to physical therapy and concentrate on stretching exercises. If the pain returns, at least I will have had a brief vacation from it!

Comment from: Katmandu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I developed bursitis in my right hip after I lost 25 pounds and started mixed martial arts training. The pain was intense. My doctor told me to take a few weeks off and then take it easy for a bit. It got better, I went back into training, and boom, back again. We've done pills, shots, and time off. I lost another 25 pounds. It still hurts like mad. This time I took 30 days off and I was planning to go back to the gym tonight but I hurt as much today as I did 30 days ago. I never had any problems when I was fat and sat on my butt working all day. Now that I'm active and considerably lighter, I'm freaking miserable and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

Comment from: Nic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have been suffering for the last 12 years and was only given a diagnosis this year of trochanteric bursitis. I have it in both hips but only suffer pain in the right hip. I've tried all kinds of pain relief - injections, pills, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, TENS machines, acupuncture, and nothing seems to work. I've been told basically nothing can be done as surgery is not guaranteed to work so it's more pain injections. At the age of 34 I can't lead a normal active life and to be honest just sick of the whole lot. Surely they can't just leave me in pain for the rest of my life!

Comment from: Suzziq, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had hip bursitis for over a year. My doctor said both my hips need to be replaced. He said since I have arthritis in both hips, I don't walk correctly which causes my bursitis to flare up. I get cortisone shots in both bursa sacs about every 2 months. It only seems to work for about 4 weeks and then gradually gets worse and worse. Until I decide to get my hips replaced, I will probably continue with the cortisone shots for a while. I don't like taking pain killers, especially in the middle of the night when the pain seems to be the worst. If I do take pain medication at that time, I wake up with an upset stomach. Taking them with milk seems to help.

Comment from: raverbaby88, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been getting pain now for four years. I had MRI/x-ray which didn't show up anything. I spent 1 year at physiotherapy (which was a waste of time they said I had lower back pain), 6 weeks acupuncture treatment (helped the pain very temporarily), 1 year at private chiropractic clinic who diagnosed hip bursitis and promised he would cure me in 4 months. But here I am today still suffering! I do the exercises but they don't work and are too painful. The stretches are good but after 4 years I get on/off excruciating pain that now I am lying in bed unable to move. I am seeing another general physician next week to suss out some options.

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

One week before Thanksgiving I started having hip pain and had trouble walking or sitting. It got worse over the weekend and by Monday I couldn"t really move. No position helped except lying in bed on my back. I thought it was a pinched nerve since I"ve had sciatica and broken tailbone in the past. After testing where it was found to be hip bursitis, and some preliminary treatment I started physical therapy (16 weeks) and pain medication. I am into this 6 months and still on pain medications and muscle relaxants. I did have steroid injections but they only proved to help for a few weeks. I feel now like I am worse than before the steroid shots. I use a cane. I swim 3 times a week. I"m losing weight but the pain persists. I"m improved maybe 60% or a little more depending on the day and sometimes worse. I"m still on pain medications. I feel like I am never going to get better.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?