Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: heavenstobetsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I could not stand up for more than 30 seconds without being in pain. I also had a leg rash that was not bothering me. It turns out it was an allergic reaction to the medicines I was given for a urinary tract infection (UTI). A single dose of Benadryl was given. The hip pain and the red rash went away!

Comment from: Littlebooboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been suffering with trochanteric hip bursitis for ten years. I have had numerous Cortizone injections which help but cause leg weakening, making it difficult to walk. I am petite and weigh less than 110 lbs, so weight is not part of the problem. I use ice, heat, stretching and pain medications.

Comment from: MiamiA1A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have trochanteric bursitis in my right hip. It is probably caused by uneven leg length. My right leg is 2 in. longer than the left; about an inch and a half of the discrepancy is in the thigh. I have had this since May "13. It is quite painful and is limiting my activities. I have not had a cortisone shot yet, because they are expensive, and I kept hoping it would go away. Stretches and anti-inflammatory drugs are the only treatment I have tried.

Comment from: Mtngirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have bursitis in both hips but worse in my right. It has been active for over 5 years now. Occasional injections of steroids at the site have eased the pain. I also have active are rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. I am beginning to believe the RA is in the hip joints as well. Walking any distance is a no no, for my hip will give way. And actually walking uphill is easier! I am taking water aerobics and swimming, using heat and water therapy helps so much. I am overweight, so it could be a factor as well; but working on that also.

Comment from: Prayers4u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 60 years old and have had bursitis in both hips and knees for the last twelve years. Early on I was also diagnosed with lupus and connective tissue disease. But repeated ultrasounds and hydrocortisone treatments have confirmed bursitis. I have been on 400 mg of Celebrex forever. It really helps with much of the pain and it is not an opiate. I also detoxify at least three times a year by fasting 10 days. I eat a very healthy diet, no dairy, lots of vegetables, lots of water, high protein low carbohydrate and avoid at all costs acidic foods - see gout diet. Light exercise and stretching is good; no stairs ever, it inflames the condition.

Comment from: naturegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had a desk job for 25 years, and have been an active person. I have slight to moderate arthritis in my hands and hips. I have had what I now believe is bursitis in my left hip for about a year. I work for a physical therapist and personal trainer, and I believe that my core strengthening has been the biggest help. Ultrasound directly on the bursa helps too. I experience what so many others have expressed, pain walking on inclines, and especially pain and throbbing at night while in bed, unable to lie on either side. Engaging the core when climbing stairs really helps, as well as the very regular stretching and yoga. I always feel the best after my short workouts. On bad days I take naproxen and actually feel pretty good.

Comment from: zara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was unlucky enough to have 2 car accidents in my first year of driving in 2012. In the first, I just had a bad muscle inflammation and had physiotherapy. Just 10 days after all treatment was finished, the second one happened. It started with a horrible ache on the outer hip and started going in to the bum and leg when I was at work. As a home to home health care assistant it was just too painful to work and I couldn't sleep with the bursitis pain. It felt like my hip was grinding down to the bone and there was pain in my legs. So I went to the doctor and he gave me a steroid injection that hurt like anything and did nothing but left me with a dent the size of the palm of my hand. I had a lot of back pain from the accident but they said they were not sure if it was my sciatic nerve or 2 different problems. Everything took so long before I even saw a consultant that things got to the point I couldn't walk or bear any weight on my right hip. After a year of having most of my weight on my left, that is now starting to develop the same pain. I finally got an appointment and am getting help but the pain gets a lot worse before it gets better with all the prodding a pulling. Good luck to anyone that has this horrible problem.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?