Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Published: June 16

I am 89 years old and for the past three weeks have been hardly able to function. I have severe pain in my right hip. I went to my primary doctor who just gave me pain medication and sent me to physical therapy. Then I went to a chiropractor who, after two visits wasn't sure what the problem was. He also took X-rays. Finally, my son made an appointment with a specialist. I went on Thursday. He had me do all kinds of walking and bending and diagnosed me with bursitis in my right hip. He gave me a cortisone shot, which really relieved the pain there, but Friday I started having severe pain in my groin area. I called, but the doctor didn't want to give me anything until he could see me again. He said if the pain got severe over the weekend to go to the emergency room. All I can do is sit or lay without pain, when I try to walk it is excruciating. I am using a four-footed cane.

Published: June 16

I have suffered from debilitating bouts of hip bursitis on and off since 1999. Cortisone injections have definitely helped. Last year I had a cortisone injection, which I would not recommend unless carried out by an extremely experienced physician. My experience was horrible...the injection was very painful with bleeding into the tissue resulting in extensive bruising and a large lump that took a long while to go away. I cannot take NSAIDs. The only successful recourse I have found is enforced rest, ice followed by gradual resumption of activity to tolerated levels.

Published: June 10

I have had discomfort and pain in the area of my right hip for years and always put it down to a time in my twenties when I dislocated it. It was put back in and the initial pain subsided. Now years later I am being more active at work and am finding the pain intolerable. I feel that it is inside the top of my right buttock and after working and walking find I can barely move. I spoke to my Doctor and was told to rub Ibuprofen or similar creams into the area. This I found was not the answer; I am therefore consulting a Specialist with the view to having a cortisone injection.

Published: June 09

Limp when walking, my leg won't hold my weight when walking upstairs.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I am only 32 years of age and I have had bursitis in my left hip for about 9 months now. I am a mother of 5 and it is nearly close to impossible to do all my duties. I have had 2 cortisone injections and after 6 weeks I will be having the third. The specialist said that if they don't work there is an operation that he can do.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?