Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Published: July 14

I have difficulty walking as the pain just gets worse with every step and I have to keep stopping. I have had a steroid injection and that has not helped.

Published: July 14

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip and now at the age of 39, I feel I have it in my right hip. I don't understand it. I have been exercising healthier and have taken off 27lbs. and now it acts up? I have had problems with my knees for sometime and by taken off the first 20lbs my knees felt worlds better. I've been able to move and do the exercises with no problem. Now, I have to stop exercising again b/c of this. It's just too painful. It just started up yesterday. I hope the Ibuprofen works. I have to get back to my workout schedule. I have a lot more pounds and inches to lose.

Published: July 10

I have had pain in my hip off and on for many years. It began after the birth of my last child. Carrying heavy items seem to make it worse and this past summer I moved from Florida to Tennessee, hence the necessity to move furniture, etc. I have had constant pain since then. I have had a MRI and an x ray of my hip to no avail. Finally, during a visit to my orthopedist for another problem, I told him of the pain. He immediately examined my hip and gave a name to my problem, Trochanteric bursitis. He gave me an injection of Cortizone and it is somewhat better. I am to see him in another two weeks for an update. I hope his diagnosis and treatment will curtail the pain which at times is unbearable.

Published: July 08

I am 44 years old, very active and fighting hip bursitis now for 1 1/2 years. I have had 3 injections with only 1 really working. If I were an athlete they would somehow find a way to eliminate the pain so I could perform. Why can't they help the rest of us!

Published: July 08

I have had hip bursitis for 16 years, my left hip is the worst but I also have it in my right. I have been getting injections every 3-4 months for about 10years. I am considering surgery to remove the bursa.

Published: July 08

I have just been diagnosed with bursitis. I thought I was going to have a hip replacement but I have been told it is too risky as I have Parkinson's and I was also in hospital for 4 months, intensive care three times and my husband was told I would not live, but here I am, now suffering with this problem. The doctor I saw gave me an injection in the hip and it has been a lot better, perhaps if you suffer the same you would enquire about getting an injection. My pain is in bed and wakes me up it is really unbearable, also it seems to go to my right knee and the lower part of my back, I do not know how long the injection works for but am keeping my fingers crossed.

Published: July 08

I am only 24 yrs old and not extremely active. I have had pain, swelling and redness over my right hip for the last 2 months. I finally went to the ER where I was diagnosed with septic hip bursitis. I was given antibiotics by IV and have an appt tomorrow with an ortho. NSAIDS help but it is still very painful to climb stairs or drive.

Published: July 01

I'm 44, and I have hip bursitis. I had a cortisone injection a month ago or so and my hips are terrible. I can't lie on either side and under my legs from my thigh on both sides hurt all the time. Now, my feet are acting up. I can't place them on the floor without them hurting, or even lie on the couch and let them sit there. Walking up stairs has been a chore for quiet some time. Now it seems worse. I rub arthritis Bengay on my hips and it seems to work for a while.

Published: June 25

My experience of hip bursitis was a niggling pain at the groin area which over three days developed into a very painful right inner buttock spreading down towards behind the knee. Sleep was near impossible and the thigh was sore to touch. Anti inflammatory and pain relief pills started to work after about 3 days. Can obviously affect anyone as I am only 40 yrs young!

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?