Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: bugsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had the hip pain occasionally for 15 yrs. It seemed as if it had went away. Now it has flared up, making it difficult to sit or do anything. I was approximately 35 when diagnosed. Now I am in my early 50's.

Comment from: Buttercup, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I've been diagnosed with bursitis in both hips. When I stand up, a point on each hip front is very painful, so I straighten and walk slowly. If work out, it takes about 10-12 minutes for the pain in the hips to stop; at first I feel as though I can't continue, but if I walk toe in for a while, and then toe out, and keep adjusting, I end up without pain for the rest of the 45-min to an hour walk. This isn't a fast walk, but about 3-3.5 mile/hour. However I miss running. I wonder: if it stops hurting after the 10 I hurting myself by continuing? All I'm reading here is unresolved pain with this. I've gained weight and girth from lack of exercise after crashing my bicycle, and it is frightening to think this will be with me long term.

Comment from: crystal717, Female (Patient) Published: July 24

At 20 yrs old I developed hip pain on the rght. It became so bad over the next few years I thought I had bone cancer. Xray was negative. I was pain free two years. After I had my daughter it came back and was worse then ever. After 2 more steroid shots and taking so much Motrin that I pooped blood I had an mri and it showed trochanteric bursitis. It sucks. Now I'm on oxycodone 5mg for 3 years and it doesn't help. I'm 28 and I don't know what to do. I'm ashamed to have to take pain meds but I could cry how much pain I'm in. I would love to run n exercise. I've gained 40 lbs in 8 years because I can't do any cardio without severe pain the next day. Will this ever go away?

Comment from: Marty, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 55 year old male, with a very active lifestyle and occupation (mailman). A recurring hip pain that left me basically useless on my feet lead me to seek treatment. Any lateral movement of the hip was "drop ya to your knees" pain, while front to back was just fine. The use of corticosteroids for me has been an effective regimen with relief normally of about 2 years.

Comment from: SNiern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

After breast cancer three years ago I was put on an Aramatase Inhibitor post surgery. I was 56 years old and aged 25 years with extreme joint pain all over. Making a decision regarding quality of life, I changed to Tamoxifen , a weaker, but effective post cancer drug. All my joint pain went away, except for my left hip. After enduring extreme pain for over a year my family doctor gave me two cortisone injections and diagnosed me with bursitis.. I have hiked the fourteeners in Colorado and have continued hiking with steep inclines. I'm afraid I have to stop hiking and find another hobby and workout. It is now clear to me that the inclines are what cause the extreme pain and irritation.

Comment from: Jessie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 28 yr. old female. I have been fairly active throughout my life. I injured my hips by over using them in track and field when I was 12. Since then, I have dealt with constant hip pain. I was diagnosed a couple months ago with bursitis and after failed physical therapy, I got the cortisone injections. Aside from the Flare I had on one side, the relief from the pain was felt from my headaches to my ankles. The major downside was that when the pain returned 3 months later, I was no longer accustomed to it, which has made it seem worse than before. Currently, I am looking for a place who can give me a new injection since I lost my healthcare... Just wanted people to know that hip bursitis is not only due to age.

Comment from: Jesse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am a 68 year old female with chronic outer hip pain which started 2 years ago. During physical therapy, I discovered short term relief from the ache (both sides) with deep tissue massage and moist heat. Stretching exercises help also. One doctor said it was bursitis (outer hips) and another doctor said it was referred pain from osteoarthritis in my back. Frankly, I've decided it is my hip flexor muscles which are overly tight and cause the pain. It is worse at night or after sitting for long periods but with frequent exercise (opposite muscles from hip flexors) and stretching, the stiffness and pain are reduced. I do not take pain meds (stomach ulcers) but am aware that massage and moist heat will increase the effectiveness of any therapy I use and can actually take away the pain for hours to days.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?