Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have pain in the groin and there is fluid around the hip joint.

Comment from: pepper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have pain at night when I try to turn in the bed. The hip bursitis is so painful that it makes me scream.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My bursa on my right hip have been inflamed for years now, the doctor gave me injections twice in 6 months, I am still in pain, he is now going to remove the bursa.

Comment from: Skip, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had hip pain for more than 10 years now. The doctor said it is bursitis but it won't go away, instead it is worse. I am moderately active and have had no injuries.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 63 year old female and I have had hip bursitis for several months. I had 2 cortisone injections with minimal relief. Now I am going to try the foam roller to stretch out the IT (iliotibial) band to see if that works. I am a side sleeper, but the hip pain will not allow me to sleep on either side.

Comment from: squeak, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had this lump on my hip for many years; I can't lie on it because it hurts too much. It hurts all the way down my leg if I lay on it because of my hip bursitis.

Comment from: Franki1331, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I suffered extreme pain for 21/2 years after hip,replacement, finally I got a diagnosis that it was bursitis, I got a shot of cortisone in the bursa and the pain is gone. I hope it lasts, I have heard you can repeat these shots if the pain returns, what a relief, it sure took a longtime to diagnose it.

Comment from: Esther, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had a hip replacement in jan 2012 and was told, due to the spinal problem I also had, I would probably not have the same recovery benefits I would have had if I wasn't suffering with my back. The operation was successful and I was making a good recovery but due to my back I was a bit wobbly and in April 2012 stumbled and fell onto the corner of my kitchen table. I was in agony and after going back to hospital was told I had trochanter bursitis. Since then, I have been in so much pain I have been really depressed. It is worse pain than before and I have had two lots of injections in my hip together with spinal injections and I am still in constant pain. I don't know what to do and it has really affected my life. The awful part is that people don't know how much pain you are experiencing and that you should be great after having a hip replacement. If only they knew the pain I am in and that walking and sleeping is such a problem. I feel very tired and irritable and it just isn't me.

Comment from: jeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

While training for a 1/2 marathon, 5 yrs ago I had the sore hips and didn't know what it was. Was treated by a chiropractor for almost a year and got very frustrated as it was not healing. I sought other therapies and finally came upon a physiotherapist who specializes in lower back. She treated my lower back and gave my condition the term bursitis. She treated with ultrasound, rest and ice/heat packs and after 3 wks, it went away. Recently it has returned on one side due to over training (my fault - I should know better now) and again, ultra sound treatment, rest, ice/heat and 2 weeks into the treatment, I'm starting to have relief of this annoying, keep you up at night, excruciating pain. I had to take anti-inflammatories only twice during that time when it got too bad. So please seek other therapies before you get into taking too many meds - the side-effects are just not worth it.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?