Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Reds, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I developed pain in my left hip rather quickly. My doctor, based on X rays, diagnosed it as arthritis. My hip was very painful from the hip down to my knee and across my left buttock. Sleep was difficult as lying on either side would cause pain enough to wake me and keep me awake. An orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with bursitis in just a couple of minutes my turning and bending my leg. He said I was too flexible to have arthritis in that hip. He gave me a cortisone shot and the pain disappeared within hours.

Comment from: J Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Since 2010 I have had hip pain in both hips (and subsequently had three hip surgeries: one arthroscopy and both total hip replacements). I am an avid hiker and hike 3.5 miles every day, plus am in an active profession (veterinarian). One of the things that the MRIs have shown over these past three years is bilateral trochanteric bursitis. The bad hip pain is gone due to the total hip replacements, but the bursitis persists, making even walking painful. I have had intrabursal injections of cortisone, which has helped a little bit, but am looking for some good exercises that will help alleviate the pain.

Comment from: kayakgirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 70 years old and quite active. My hip started to hurt last October. It got so bad that I was limping and the pain went down my leg past the knee. My doctor gave me a shot in my hip, but it still hurt. In December of 2012 my MD referred me to an orthopedic / sports medicine doctor. He told me to get one of those hard, foam cylinders about 6 inches in diameter. Mine is 36 inches long. I also have a 24-inch long one that fits in my suitcase for travel. Well, he said to roll my bad side on it between the hip (not on the hip bone) and the knee. He said it will hurt so bad, you may only be able to stand 45 seconds. He was right, but I kept doing it every day. He said to do both legs to keep things balanced. He said it was stretching out the iliotibial (IT) band. It was like a miracle. Within three days, the pain was manageable. I have to do it every day to "keep the pain at bay," but it does make all the difference. Even though I was much improved I did have the guided injection of cortisone. He used an ultrasound to see exactly where the needle was going. He said the injection would help the inflammation while I healed.

Published: August 01

I am a 66 year old female and have bursitis for approximately 1 1/2 years. I've had physical therapy, cortisone injections, tried heat/ice, and paid meds. I get relief maybe as longs as two weeks, but it comes back. I cannot take anti inflammatory drugs (history of ulcers) and my Arthritis Dr. does not want me to have any more Cortizone due to osteoporosis bone density is -3.2. I've seen an Orthopedic Dr. and he wants to do surgery. I also have a large calcium deposit in the area of the bursa. I'm considering the surgery, if I can get some relief with the surgery, it will be worth it to me.

Published: July 30

I am a 60 yr old female who developed bursitis after a visit to Italy. An eight hour plane ride and walking up hills in Italy gave me a most excruciating unusual pain in my hip that I thought might be apendicitis. It was always worse after sitting for a while and walking made it worse. I have had it now for 3 weeks and the doctors have given me NSAIDS, muscle relaxers and pain meds. The only thing that has alleviated the pain is the pain meds. I am in need of losing at least 100 lbs, but after reading these blogs, it doesn't look like that would even help. My mother had hip bursitis also and hers has not returned. She waited until she felt better and now does daily hip muscle strengthening exercises, which may be the ticket to recovery.

Published: July 25

I have been having pain in my hip for seven months and the doctor told me it was likely lower back strain. I told her it felt more like a joint. I couldn't sleep at night and couldn't put my foot down in the morning without excruciating pain. Sitting was unbearable. Yesterday, I went to a Chinese Doctor and had acupuncture. I got off the table with no pain. It got a little worse towards the end of the day, but I put heat on it and took ibuprofen and went to bed with no pain, slept right through without pain, woke up without pain, and am just starting midday to get pain again. Second acupuncture treatment this afternoon -- he recommends three in a row, then some maintenance as needed. He is certain he can treat this so I have no pain. I am very hopeful. Sympathize with you all -- have never felt a pain like this. Try to find someone who can do acupuncture. Don't be afraid of needles, they just prick slightly and are nothing like the pain of bursitis.

Comment from: Nar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had very serious hip bursitis and I took turmeric (root of the plant) and made tea and drank it for 4 days. Since then I have not had any problems with my hip.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?