Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Having endured months of pain and relentless visits to my doctor only to be given more pain killers I eventually got to see a specialist. He diagnosed the pain in my hip as bursitis. He gave me a steroid injection there and then, all to which has had no effect. X-rays have been taken and I am awaiting the results. I would just love to be able to sleep and be active once more. All this is making my working life very difficult as it involves 10 hours on my feet all day in a pharmacy. With all the pain medications that I know are available I just wish they would prescribe me one strong enough to take the pain away or at least make it bearable. I really don't think that they realize just how much of an impact it has on all aspects of your life. I feel 101 years old.

Comment from: sharon, Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a little accident with a cart at a local store. I had very bad bruising. After a few months of dealing with the pain I thought was from my back, I had a steroid shot and was sent to a physical therapist. He was great. My bursa sac was inflamed and the pain down my leg was horrible, but after just a month I am beginning to feel much better. I had to stop my daily walking but I can always start back. I just need to get this healed. It takes time and continuing to do some exercises will just keep the pain going. So you exercisers need to remember your body needs rest to heal. It will be worth it.

Comment from: Fran, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I've had terrible hip pain for a couple of months now. I thought it was related to my lower back problems, as I've had sciatica affecting the other hip and buttocks, but this pain is very different. It's very sharp, searing, and excruciating. The doctor says it is hip bursitis. I have been taking large amounts of ibuprofen for a long time now, both because of the sciatica and now the hip bursitis, and I'm starting to worry that it may adversely affect my kidneys. I'm 41 and overweight. I joined a gym this summer to try to get some weight off, but the hip bursitis makes it very difficult to exercise. Sleeping is hard because the sciatica hurts one side, the bursitis the other. I have to lie perfectly on my back with no extra pressure on either hip. The worst pain is standing from a sitting position and walking.

Published: July 25

I'm a 60-year-old female, average height and weight, non-smoker, do not use illegal drugs, do not use drugs, former runner (seven miles a day for years), and a vegetarian. Suddenly, with no warning at all, (I'm in the middle of a class at the local tech college), I'm unable to stand without severe pain in my right hip. It was horrific pain. I had to leave class sitting in a wheelchair. I thought it was a strained muscle, but it turned out the doctor said (after X-rays) that it was bursitis. I had recently joined the gym and was working out everyday. I was prescribed naproxen and pain medications.

Published: July 24

I am 45 and was diagnosed with bursitis six years ago. A recent X-ray revealed that I have "a little bit of arthritis in both hips, but it's not worth mentioning." I thought that was a weird way for the doctor to put it. I'm very active, and I run 12 to 15 miles a week. The only pain I have is when I'm trying to sleep and when I try to sit cross-legged, but the pain is intense and I often can't sleep well. I would love to find relief for the pain, but I'm not willing to endure injections that may or may not work. I take ibuprofen almost every night.

Published: July 15

I'm a 64-year-old female who suffers from hip bursitis in the groin area. The first injection of cortisone was like a miracle: 30 minutes later I felt like a new woman. However, subsequent injections gave me a small amount of relief. Now I've had a knee replacement done wrong (it has to be redone by another doctor, of course) and my bursitis is the worst it's ever been. I'm in pain constantly, especially climbing steps, driving, and sitting. I am hoping the next injection works miracles!

Published: July 15

When I was 19, I had a head-on collision where I hit my right knee, causing my hip to take the all of the trauma. I am now 41, and I'm in constant pain. I had one injection done and within two months the hip bursitis came back stronger than before.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?