Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Published: August 01

I am a 66 year old female and have bursitis for approximately 1 1/2 years. I've had physical therapy, cortisone injections, tried heat/ice, and paid meds. I get relief maybe as longs as two weeks, but it comes back. I cannot take anti inflammatory drugs (history of ulcers) and my Arthritis Dr. does not want me to have any more Cortizone due to osteoporosis bone density is -3.2. I've seen an Orthopedic Dr. and he wants to do surgery. I also have a large calcium deposit in the area of the bursa. I'm considering the surgery, if I can get some relief with the surgery, it will be worth it to me.

Published: July 30

I am a 60 yr old female who developed bursitis after a visit to Italy. An eight hour plane ride and walking up hills in Italy gave me a most excruciating unusual pain in my hip that I thought might be apendicitis. It was always worse after sitting for a while and walking made it worse. I have had it now for 3 weeks and the doctors have given me NSAIDS, muscle relaxers and pain meds. The only thing that has alleviated the pain is the pain meds. I am in need of losing at least 100 lbs, but after reading these blogs, it doesn't look like that would even help. My mother had hip bursitis also and hers has not returned. She waited until she felt better and now does daily hip muscle strengthening exercises, which may be the ticket to recovery.

Published: July 25

I have been having pain in my hip for seven months and the doctor told me it was likely lower back strain. I told her it felt more like a joint. I couldn't sleep at night and couldn't put my foot down in the morning without excruciating pain. Sitting was unbearable. Yesterday, I went to a Chinese Doctor and had acupuncture. I got off the table with no pain. It got a little worse towards the end of the day, but I put heat on it and took ibuprofen and went to bed with no pain, slept right through without pain, woke up without pain, and am just starting midday to get pain again. Second acupuncture treatment this afternoon -- he recommends three in a row, then some maintenance as needed. He is certain he can treat this so I have no pain. I am very hopeful. Sympathize with you all -- have never felt a pain like this. Try to find someone who can do acupuncture. Don't be afraid of needles, they just prick slightly and are nothing like the pain of bursitis.

Comment from: Nar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had very serious hip bursitis and I took turmeric (root of the plant) and made tea and drank it for 4 days. Since then I have not had any problems with my hip.

Comment from: Theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My mom has had a terrible time of her bursitis. It is from her knee to her hip. This has been going on for almost a month now. I would love to know what can give her some relief. She is so miserable.

Comment from: elsa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

Hi have scoliosis and since my spine is curved my left hip is in constant pain and I was told I have bursitis.

Comment from: christine hargrave, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I fell on ice in January and my left leg went behind my back since then it's painful for me when I turn over.

Comment from: heavenstobetsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I could not stand up for more than 30 seconds without being in pain. I also had a leg rash that was not bothering me. It turns out it was an allergic reaction to the medicines I was given for a urinary tract infection (UTI). A single dose of Benadryl was given. The hip pain and the red rash went away!

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?