Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Lu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 55-year-old female. I started having pain on my right side not long after having my ovaries taken out. My doctor jokingly says, "I know I didn't leave anything inside you!” Well, I never really thought anything about what he said. I was told I had bursitis, was laid up for three months, and seem to have recovered. Once again, I started having more pain in the area. I took it easy (kind of hard when you have to work), but the pain persisted for about six months. The pain tapered off but has not gone away. I also get sharp shooting pains in that area and an array of other symptoms. I can't lay on my right side. When lying on my left side too long, my right side starts hurting. I can't win. This has been going on for more than eight years. I'm tired of not feeling good.

Comment from: andy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I am a 32-year-old male and developed left hip bursitis after joining the military at age 21. It has been 11 years of pain and inability to sleep. Soft beds make it worse. I have discovered the best position for sleeping is on the opposite side, with my affected leg raised as high to my chest as possible, or lying on the affected side with my hips and spine twisted. My wife hates these positions. I always assumed I had arthritis at a young age so I tried to ignore the daily pain. I recently paid for an MRI and was shocked to learn I have no arthritis. The MRI doc pushed on my hip and said it was bursitis. It was 11 years of stupidity and pain – lots of pain. Do not put off being seen by a doctor.

Comment from: cheryljoy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have had bursitis of the hip for about three years. I have been on different anti-inflammatory. I have had injections several times, with relief lasting only a couple weeks. The doctors say my X-rays are normal. I am now going to have a deeper injection under fluoroscopy. Hopefully, this will help.

Comment from: Dannem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm a 51-year-old woman who has had bursitis of the hip since 1999. I went to a doctor when it first started and was given physical therapy exercises to strengthen the outer hip muscle. Unfortunately, this didn't work. I am fairly active and run 2-3 times a week, 3 or more miles each time. After running, it really hurts. I think I'll ask about the cortisone shot.

Comment from: Juliet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My left hip starting hurting about three weeks ago and I finally went to the doctor today. The pain is really bad, especially after sitting for a while and then getting up to walk. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot and said it would take about 2-3 days for it to start working. Right now it doesn't feel like it will ever get better. This is a really intense pain.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 41 years old and have had bursitis in my left hip for several years. I also have severe lower back pain. My doctor gave me my first cortisone shot about three months ago and told me to see if that helped me be able to sleep on my sides again. It did wonders! Since I could sleep on my sides, my back stopped hurting. The back pain was caused from sleeping on my stomach. However, the shot has now worn off. Not sure how many more or how often I will be able to get more. I am also sure that it would help if I lost some weight but that is much easier said than done.

Comment from: donna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had significant pain in my right hip for 5 years, especially when walking or sitting for long periods. I have recently had x-rays and steroid injections that showed arthritis. They were going to replace my hip but wanted a MRI first to make sure. The MRI showed a large sack of fluid - bursitis. I am due to have the fluid drained and more steroid injections. No hip replacement. I also have arthritis in my knees and spine and have had steroid injections many times - to no avail. They don't work. I work for the NHS as a nurse and I sometimes feel (as a patient) that its round and round the houses we go. For me - just give me the new hip (and maybe knees) and voila - solved.

Comment from: sillycat45, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

When I was 24 I had a severe twisted hip and ankle. The next day I was in the doctor's office just bawling with pain. The doctor sent me for an MRI and it showed a herniated disc. For the past 21 years, I thought the pain and numbness was from my back but it wasn't. It turns out my pain and numbness was bursitis. An awesome doctor figured it out. Now after a cortisone shot, I'm starting to feel better and I can sleep again!

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?