Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Lora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had surgery last January 2013 for hip pain. It was my bursa. The bursa sac was gooey. The doctor melted it out. I was pain free for a few weeks. I did physical therapy but still in pain. This is now November and my pain is unbearable. I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes then I can hardly stand up or put any weight on my left leg. As soon as I can stretch, then I can walk. I am going to try the deep sea krill.

Comment from: trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am in the process of having P-STIM. It involves no medication and is a small device that stimulates the acupuncture points in the body. It is Medicare approved and is helping with that awful bursitis, no more injections for me.

Comment from: 71cudagirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a 35 year old female that was diagnosed with hip bursitis. I have had severe pain, multiple types of therapy including injections, and nothing helps. I was in an auto accident and I believe it was the trauma caused by the accident that has caused the pain in my hip. My orthopedic physician however feels that he cannot state that there is any correlation between the accident and my hip pain.

Comment from: Debiouch!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I've had what I'm told is bursitis for going on 8 months now. I noticed a sore hip more and more while at the gym but it became acute for the past 6 months which made no sense as I had a full cast on my arm and was unable to bike so my hip was rested for most of the summer (no gym every day for starters). I had a cortisone shot and it didn't seem to help at all. All I know is I want it gone so I can go back to hiking/biking and every day activities I so enjoy.

Comment from: jeansplace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having hip pain in 2010; the doctor said it was just arthritis and prescribed naproxen. In 2013 I changed the doctor and an MRI was taken which showed no arthritis but bursitis. I will be seeing an orthopedic doctor next year. I have suffered for 3 years now and need relief. The pain pills and physical therapy have not helped but seem to make it worse. Walking and sleeping are very painful.

Comment from: MaureenPD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am just told by my doctor that she believes I have left hip bursitis. The pain is very excruciating. It is more when I am sitting or lying down. I am taking anti-inflammatory and pain medications and pills to help me sleep.

Comment from: lucylilac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I fell 2 years ago and since then my left hip has been very painful. After sitting for any length of time I am almost lame when I get up. I can walk it off after a bit, but the pain is always there, sometimes radiating up my back and into my shoulder and neck, making the muscle spasm. I've done chiropractic and physical therapy both of which didn't help. I am 56 and not overweight. During my last visit to the doctor, he diagnosed bursitis and suggested a cortisone injection and when it is calmed down, a course of physical therapy with ultrasound this time.

Comment from: Coral, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip 3 years ago (this is a hip replacement). Luckily my friend knew someone who had a blood injection into his bursa and it took away the pain. I made inquiries, and had it done under an ultrasound at the local hospital. I used crutches for four days to keep the weight off of my hip and rested. Within a week I had no pain and that lasted for eleven months. I now have bursitis on the left hip and have them done when needed. The last injection I had the blood was spun and I had only a platelet injection. The blood is your own, taken from your arm, between 3 to 5 mls.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?