Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Comment from: Jessie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 28 yr. old female. I have been fairly active throughout my life. I injured my hips by over using them in track and field when I was 12. Since then, I have dealt with constant hip pain. I was diagnosed a couple months ago with bursitis and after failed physical therapy, I got the cortisone injections. Aside from the Flare I had on one side, the relief from the pain was felt from my headaches to my ankles. The major downside was that when the pain returned 3 months later, I was no longer accustomed to it, which has made it seem worse than before. Currently, I am looking for a place who can give me a new injection since I lost my healthcare... Just wanted people to know that hip bursitis is not only due to age.

Comment from: Jesse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am a 68 year old female with chronic outer hip pain which started 2 years ago. During physical therapy, I discovered short term relief from the ache (both sides) with deep tissue massage and moist heat. Stretching exercises help also. One doctor said it was bursitis (outer hips) and another doctor said it was referred pain from osteoarthritis in my back. Frankly, I've decided it is my hip flexor muscles which are overly tight and cause the pain. It is worse at night or after sitting for long periods but with frequent exercise (opposite muscles from hip flexors) and stretching, the stiffness and pain are reduced. I do not take pain meds (stomach ulcers) but am aware that massage and moist heat will increase the effectiveness of any therapy I use and can actually take away the pain for hours to days.

Comment from: forsblomkelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 53 years old. I started seeking treatment for lower back pain back in 1980 spuradically. By 1991 I was going to the chiropractor almost every week. In the last two years I have gotten about seven steroid shots because the cause of my pain they say is a protrusion against my nerve. To make matters worse I fell down hard on my hip because of a freezing rain storm. I have had bursitis for over a year and didn't find out until a few months ago. I got some cortisone shots under flouroscopy for my Trochantic Bursitis five days ago and I am better about %40 so far. I still have Ishial Bursitis, too that I hope to get treated. The Dr. I see now said I may be able to get surgery for my back.

Comment from: dizzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have just been diagnosed with Bursitis and am bitterly disappointed as I have had both my knees replaced to get away from continuing 24/7 pain. Now I have this 24/7 pain and not sleeping at all. It started in August 2012 whilst on a cruise, I had physio and was supposed to have the injection but due to lack of funds it was cancelled. I am now waiting to see if funding is available for me to have the injection. This is the most painful ailment I have ever had.

Comment from: Shirley, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have had hip bursitis and I go to a Physiotherapist. She gives me ultrasound treatments to break up the fluid and it pops back into the socket. After four visits, it is usually cleared. I have been four separate times since 2000.

Comment from: Syd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a 51-year-old woman who has suffered with hip pain for well over 10 years. I toss and turn all night. My mattress is foam and gel, which is really nice, but I still have pressure points on top of my hip bone that are very painful, I have seen many doctors, have had lots of meds – you name it. I still have no sure diagnosis. I also have lower back pain and both hips hurt equally.

Comment from: lawdog1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

In March of 2012, I was thrown from a horse. I landed on my left side and broke two ribs, sustained a punctured lung, and sustained a serious bruise to my hip. Since then, everything has healed, except that my side above my hip is numb and my hip is painful, especially after sitting for a while. The interesting part is that where I used to have a small love handle, the love handle is "displaced" and has moved to my hip/buttock. I know this sounds weird, but my love handle on my left side is gone and I have a fatty deposit on my hip which is numb to the touch. All X-rays are negative for fracture.

Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?