Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?

Comment from: Skiergirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis in my left hip about 15 years ago. After trying the usual solutions, I had my left bursa removed. The pain went entirely away and I stayed pain free for 6 years. But your bursa can grow back and mine did. I got a total left hip replacement because x-rays and MRIs showed I needed one. But one year after that, my left hip started hurting again. I think it might be the stairs in our house. And now my right hip hurts as well when I sleep at night. I can't take anti-inflammatories. Tylenol helps a lot. I will try the cream Vicodin suggested here and stretching. I want to get back to my road biking, alpine skiing and walking, but may have to cut back. Getting old is the pits.

Comment from: Kellyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I first realized I had bursitis 1 year ago after attending a birthday party where I had to sit on a rather hard chair. A couple of days after the party I was in considerable pain in my left hip and the area around the left buttock was extremely painful to the touch. The doctor diagnosed me with bursitis after I had tried a number of painkillers, none of which made any difference and I can"t take anti-inflammatory tablets as they upset my stomach. I was referred to an orthopedic specialist who, after a 3 month wait and 3 weeks in a wheelchair, said I had to get steroid injection by ultrasound. This proved very successful and I had no further pain until about 2 weeks ago and I know from the symptoms that the bursitis is back. I am now waiting to see the specialist again and am hoping that if I have to get another injection that it will last longer than the 1 year that the first one has. Bursitis is one of the worst pains I have suffered as anyone else who has had this condition will know. Fingers crossed this next injection works.

Comment from: Beany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I first was diagnosed with hip bursitis when I was rushed to the emergency room just a week before my fall semester of college was starting. I was in so much pain I couldn't walk or stand for more then short bursts. I was given a muscle relaxer and a pain reliever in shot form and then sent home with several anti-inflammatory medications and a weeks worth of Vicodin. I was told to do a set of exercises four times a day after a week's worth of bed rest. I now do yoga exercises and the calm steady pace has helped with my pain a lot as well as strengthening my joints.

Comment from: MEG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have osteoporosis of hip and labral tear 1 year ago, now I have developed bursitis. Anti-inflammatory drugs cause gastric symptoms and don't work. More pills and pain relief injection in the hospital were great. I had cortisone in the hip twice 3 months apart, but had little effect. I have tried and use TENS 90 minutes at a time, 3 times a day and used to go to bed with some relief; worth a try in the early days. I work at a desk, keen gardener, have been physically very active until all this happened.

Comment from: Chela_38, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

For 12 years I have had right hip pain that is excruciating. I am 52 years old. I have been to several doctors including orthopedic specialists. I am going to pain management now. I have strong pain medications and muscle relaxers but still I hurt so badly. I can only sleep from 1-3 hours at a time. My lower back hurts and it radiates down to the feet even. I am lost on what to do but I cannot take this much longer!

Comment from: Erthluvr1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with bursitis in both hips while in the Navy after exercising (running on concrete, sand, asphalt, etc.) five days per week for several weeks. At times, my hip joints feel like they're packed with too much of some sort of rubbery material if I try to lift either of my knees. Otherwise, my outer hip areas are super sensitive. I can't lie on my side, and the slightest bump into something feels like someone swinging a baseball bat and hitting me with it instead of just a simple bump.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Treatment Question: What was your hip bursitis treatment?