Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Years of this, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I first contracted costochondritis after a nasty bout of pneumonia and coughing heavily. This was in 1991. I have had flare ups ever since. The pain is so taxing I find it hard to concentrate. The only relief I ever found was to drink beer, which made me burp, which relieved the pressure for a short time. Now, I find that my costochondritis is actually worse, Tietze's syndrome. My rib actually swells noticeably. I do find that fatigue brings it on more so than upper body movement. I'm going to try the lidocaine patches now.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have had pain in both my hips for some time now, the right hip is worse than the left side. I have trouble walking long distances. I have done physical therapy twice; while in therapy I have had acute puncture in both hips, I have also had cortisone shots in both hips, pain medications (which I need to watch how many I take due to migraines). Everything worked for such a short time then my hips will start hurting again. When I was a certified nursing assistant (CAN) it was at its all-time worst, now that I have a desk job it can get bad while sitting for such a long time. I would love to find something that would help me to get rid of some of the pain I have.

Comment from: carizona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I've had horrible right hip pain for over 2 years and was diagnosed with greater trochanteric bursitis. Six months of physical therapy, 6 bursa injections, one deep hip injection, and a phenol injection later, MRIs show a torn gluteus medius tendon. An orthopedic surgeon is going to clean up the hip much like one would repair a torn rotator cuff in a shoulder. Hope it helps! My thoughts and well wishes to all who suffer from chronic pain; it takes such a toll on you and can be horribly frustrating (oh how I've cried myself to sleep sometimes!) All the best to everyone!

Comment from: Dmoore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

In June of 2013 I had a procedure called hip windowing. No more hip pain but now I struggle with muscle pain in my legs and my legs seem to tire easily. I am very grateful to finally sleep at night without the hip pain.

Comment from: 1akmaninfl, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had left hip bursitis for over a year. Within the last 3 months, I have had 3 cortisone shots by orthopedist, other prescription medicines and physiotherapy concentrating on the hip but no relief at all; except only if I curtail walking, which wiped out golf, fishing, museum visits, etc. I cannot take OTC medications because of kidney issue. Surgery is the next topic with the orthopedist. Doctor says there is nothing wrong with the hip structure and I can do whatever I want. It's a trade-off; activity equals pain tolerance. Walking a steep incline the other day, I had the same pain in the same spot, right hip.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had bursa pain since 2007, I have been treated by my orthopedic doctor. I have had 9 injections and 5 radiation treatments. I take pain medications frequently. I am active in my house work and my yard, but I do suffer constant pain. When it started it was on left hip and now in both hips. I do have trouble sleeping on left side more. I have spinal stenosis as well, so I am always with some pain. I am past due for more treatment but going back and forth to the doctor is wearing me down as well.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had hip bursitis for many years which left me unable to lay in one spot for more than 10 minutes without being in severe pain. I couldn't get up or down to floor. Couldn't bend legs to put shoes on etc. I have tried Myotherapy, massage, cortisone injections, all with no relief. Six months ago my GP put me on deep sea krill oil for arthritis. After about 2 months I realized my pain was not as bad, and the more I took the Krill oil the better it got. I now have no pain, can easily do all the things I did before, I can't believe it was so easy. Well worth giving it a try, but it may take a couple of months.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?