Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: 1akmaninfl, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had left hip bursitis for over a year. Within the last 3 months, I have had 3 cortisone shots by orthopedist, other prescription medicines and physiotherapy concentrating on the hip but no relief at all; except only if I curtail walking, which wiped out golf, fishing, museum visits, etc. I cannot take OTC medications because of kidney issue. Surgery is the next topic with the orthopedist. Doctor says there is nothing wrong with the hip structure and I can do whatever I want. It's a trade-off; activity equals pain tolerance. Walking a steep incline the other day, I had the same pain in the same spot, right hip.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had bursa pain since 2007, I have been treated by my orthopedic doctor. I have had 9 injections and 5 radiation treatments. I take pain medications frequently. I am active in my house work and my yard, but I do suffer constant pain. When it started it was on left hip and now in both hips. I do have trouble sleeping on left side more. I have spinal stenosis as well, so I am always with some pain. I am past due for more treatment but going back and forth to the doctor is wearing me down as well.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had hip bursitis for many years which left me unable to lay in one spot for more than 10 minutes without being in severe pain. I couldn't get up or down to floor. Couldn't bend legs to put shoes on etc. I have tried Myotherapy, massage, cortisone injections, all with no relief. Six months ago my GP put me on deep sea krill oil for arthritis. After about 2 months I realized my pain was not as bad, and the more I took the Krill oil the better it got. I now have no pain, can easily do all the things I did before, I can't believe it was so easy. Well worth giving it a try, but it may take a couple of months.

Comment from: Snowy1945, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Both hips bother me. The left side is worse than the right. Have been to pain management ortho and another ortho. Today once again diagnosed as hip bursitis. This doctor ordered pill prednisone. It has helped before and since I am going on a road trip. He felt the pills would cover me thru the trip. I asked about surgery. I have spoken to some people that have had it and said it was the best thing to ever happen. Oh well. It's a wait and see. I have also had it in my shoulder. Repetitive stress from hairdressing. Froze my shoulder surgery fixed that. Bursitis is gone so like everyone else wait and see. I am so sorry this is happening to all of us. I know the pain of it so I can sympathize with you.

Comment from: Too young, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I'm a 31 year old female. I'm slim and strong but bursitis keeps me down. Walking can be unbearable. But I do have a few suggestions my bursitis started about a year ago and I have found good shoes crucial this means no more heels, thongs or sandals anything but a good pair of joggers. Unless it's necessary. Sad but true. Second with the onset of pain Rest is very important I have 3 young kids which is hard but they are young and pain free so use them as little helpers!! Physio exercises help but they need to be kept up. I'm taking my own advice right now and resting with a wine of course xx good luck my fellow sufferers. Bursitis sucks.

Comment from: Bev, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 33-year-old female and have been dealing with chronic hip pain for a rear and a half. It started after doing the "Insanity" video for the first time. I went to sleep and woke up with my leg stuck turned outward. I couldn't put weight on it or face my leg forward. I was diagnosed with synovitis of the hip and put on pills. As soon as the pills are done I'm back where I started. I have been through three doctors and three rounds of Voltaren pills. I'm still in pain. I used to be a runner and can no longer run, or walk for long periods. I am so frustrated and have gained 30 pounds since.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?