Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have had pain in both my hips for some time now, the right hip is worse than the left side. I have trouble walking long distances. I have done physical therapy twice; while in therapy I have had acute puncture in both hips, I have also had cortisone shots in both hips, pain medications (which I need to watch how many I take due to migraines). Everything worked for such a short time then my hips will start hurting again. When I was a certified nursing assistant (CAN) it was at its all-time worst, now that I have a desk job it can get bad while sitting for such a long time. I would love to find something that would help me to get rid of some of the pain I have.

Comment from: carizona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I've had horrible right hip pain for over 2 years and was diagnosed with greater trochanteric bursitis. Six months of physical therapy, 6 bursa injections, one deep hip injection, and a phenol injection later, MRIs show a torn gluteus medius tendon. An orthopedic surgeon is going to clean up the hip much like one would repair a torn rotator cuff in a shoulder. Hope it helps! My thoughts and well wishes to all who suffer from chronic pain; it takes such a toll on you and can be horribly frustrating (oh how I've cried myself to sleep sometimes!) All the best to everyone!

Comment from: Dmoore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

In June of 2013 I had a procedure called hip windowing. No more hip pain but now I struggle with muscle pain in my legs and my legs seem to tire easily. I am very grateful to finally sleep at night without the hip pain.

Comment from: 1akmaninfl, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had left hip bursitis for over a year. Within the last 3 months, I have had 3 cortisone shots by orthopedist, other prescription medicines and physiotherapy concentrating on the hip but no relief at all; except only if I curtail walking, which wiped out golf, fishing, museum visits, etc. I cannot take OTC medications because of kidney issue. Surgery is the next topic with the orthopedist. Doctor says there is nothing wrong with the hip structure and I can do whatever I want. It's a trade-off; activity equals pain tolerance. Walking a steep incline the other day, I had the same pain in the same spot, right hip.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had bursa pain since 2007, I have been treated by my orthopedic doctor. I have had 9 injections and 5 radiation treatments. I take pain medications frequently. I am active in my house work and my yard, but I do suffer constant pain. When it started it was on left hip and now in both hips. I do have trouble sleeping on left side more. I have spinal stenosis as well, so I am always with some pain. I am past due for more treatment but going back and forth to the doctor is wearing me down as well.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had hip bursitis for many years which left me unable to lay in one spot for more than 10 minutes without being in severe pain. I couldn't get up or down to floor. Couldn't bend legs to put shoes on etc. I have tried Myotherapy, massage, cortisone injections, all with no relief. Six months ago my GP put me on deep sea krill oil for arthritis. After about 2 months I realized my pain was not as bad, and the more I took the Krill oil the better it got. I now have no pain, can easily do all the things I did before, I can't believe it was so easy. Well worth giving it a try, but it may take a couple of months.

Comment from: Snowy1945, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Both hips bother me. The left side is worse than the right. Have been to pain management ortho and another ortho. Today once again diagnosed as hip bursitis. This doctor ordered pill prednisone. It has helped before and since I am going on a road trip. He felt the pills would cover me thru the trip. I asked about surgery. I have spoken to some people that have had it and said it was the best thing to ever happen. Oh well. It's a wait and see. I have also had it in my shoulder. Repetitive stress from hairdressing. Froze my shoulder surgery fixed that. Bursitis is gone so like everyone else wait and see. I am so sorry this is happening to all of us. I know the pain of it so I can sympathize with you.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?