Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: bigred1966, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I received cortisone shot three days ago. The first day was excruciating. Day two was awesome. I got out of bed with no pain in my hip. It is now day three and my hip/leg is hurting like it did before. I'm hoping it gets better each day as the doctor suggested. I go back in a month to monitor progress and possibly another cortisone shot in the other hip. I'm remaining optimistic.

Comment from: lewis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I have bursitis in both hips, but am going through shock treatment at the moment which seems to be working.

Comment from: monica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 42 and started experiencing pain in both hips about a year ago. I also have fibromyalgia so I thought that's what it was. My internal medical doctor said it was bursitis of the hips. Yay! I have to go to the doctor for cortisone injections two weeks apart because the amount of cortisone is too much to get it done at once. So I seem to be going to the doctor a lot because I am in pain from it every other month. That's bad enough to seek treatment other than ibuprofen. I see my pain doctor on Tuesday so I think I am going to ask him about it. He is an anesthesiologist so he should be able to help me, hopefully! I sleep on my side and the pain keeps me up all night. It seems to occur in both hips at the same time.

Comment from: carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

The best treatment I have discovered for hip bursitis is acupuncture it reduces the inflammation along with stretching and laying on my side on a tennis ball and rotate in a circular movement to massage the tissue.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Male Published: July 23

I have suffered with hip pain/aches for about a year. I did large volumes of running (have run 10 marathons) from 1980 to 1995. Since that time I have always been very active physically, doing walking and such. My aching hip now frustrates me as walking, sitting, sleeping, can be a problem. I have had an x-ray and bones are ok, so my doctor told me I had Bursitis! He gave me a cortisone injection but that really didn't work. I am 64 and frustrated.

Comment from: caltoks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I am a 74 year old female. About a year ago I noticed a lot of pain in my right hip while at a senior exercise class. The next day I spent several hours sitting on a hard chair at my oil painting class. When I arose to go home, I had pain from my hip to my knee. I managed to drive home, but could not walk from my car to my door. I had to use crutches to walk when I went to my doctor the next day. He immediately diagnosed hip bursitis. He injected a steroid shot into the bursa and sent me for X-rays. I felt better soon, but took it easy for several weeks. I recently started to attend my exercise class again, but now both hips are on fire! I can still walk, so I am going to take some anti-inflammatory meds and rest up. I hope it works.

Comment from: circle girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had hip bursitis in my left hip and nothing worked except the cortisone shot. This was last year and I haven't had a problem since. Yesterday, my right hip started bothering me. I'm going to take an anti-inflammatory and try resting (and different sneakers for my zumba class) and hopefully that helps.

Comment from: Patricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I want to the doctor, one doctor told me it was arthritis and gave me Napasin, which did nothing for me. I want to another doctor who told me it is bursitis etc. gave me a prescription of ibuprofen 400mg. No one has prescribed an antibiotic for the inflammation. The doctor also told me I would need physical therapy, made an appointment for that. Why hasn't anyone given me something for the inflammation or even a cortisone shot. I am in pain, but not as much as before. Surgery was suggested as the worst case scenario.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?