Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

The best treatment I have discovered for hip bursitis is acupuncture it reduces the inflammation along with stretching and laying on my side on a tennis ball and rotate in a circular movement to massage the tissue.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Male Published: July 23

I have suffered with hip pain/aches for about a year. I did large volumes of running (have run 10 marathons) from 1980 to 1995. Since that time I have always been very active physically, doing walking and such. My aching hip now frustrates me as walking, sitting, sleeping, can be a problem. I have had an x-ray and bones are ok, so my doctor told me I had Bursitis! He gave me a cortisone injection but that really didn't work. I am 64 and frustrated.

Comment from: caltoks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I am a 74 year old female. About a year ago I noticed a lot of pain in my right hip while at a senior exercise class. The next day I spent several hours sitting on a hard chair at my oil painting class. When I arose to go home, I had pain from my hip to my knee. I managed to drive home, but could not walk from my car to my door. I had to use crutches to walk when I went to my doctor the next day. He immediately diagnosed hip bursitis. He injected a steroid shot into the bursa and sent me for X-rays. I felt better soon, but took it easy for several weeks. I recently started to attend my exercise class again, but now both hips are on fire! I can still walk, so I am going to take some anti-inflammatory meds and rest up. I hope it works.

Comment from: circle girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had hip bursitis in my left hip and nothing worked except the cortisone shot. This was last year and I haven't had a problem since. Yesterday, my right hip started bothering me. I'm going to take an anti-inflammatory and try resting (and different sneakers for my zumba class) and hopefully that helps.

Comment from: Patricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I want to the doctor, one doctor told me it was arthritis and gave me Napasin, which did nothing for me. I want to another doctor who told me it is bursitis etc. gave me a prescription of ibuprofen 400mg. No one has prescribed an antibiotic for the inflammation. The doctor also told me I would need physical therapy, made an appointment for that. Why hasn't anyone given me something for the inflammation or even a cortisone shot. I am in pain, but not as much as before. Surgery was suggested as the worst case scenario.

Comment from: Marianne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a 44 year old female, very active, approximately 15 pounds overweight. Out of nowhere I experienced severe pain on my left hip to the point of being unable to walk with extreme weakness and pain. This lasted about two weeks before the acute pain subsided and I went to a physical therapist. The diagnosis was hip bursitis and tendonitis. I don't know what I did! The treatment was physical therapy twice a week, and home stretches three times a day, followed by icing of the area. I feel 100 percent better. It is still tender in the area, but on the mend, only a little achiness. I do not take medications. I am told this area can be easily aggravated if the correct approach is not taken. I feel very lucky that my treatment is working.

Comment from: tire of pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My hip bursitis is tender to the touch and very, very, painful. It is sometimes swollen and hot to the touch. I have done a lot of physical therapy which is very painful. I have had cortisone shots, anti-inflammatory pills, and patches. I finally have something to block the pain that works as long as it is running, it's called a portable TENS unit. When it cuts off after 60 minutes you can feel the pain though.

Comment from: TDT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have chronic bursitis in both hips confirmed by an MRI. I have been to physical therapy, and received cortisone injections. I also had a battery charged patch with some kind of medicine placed on my hip six times and no relief. I think the PT helped a little bit, but still, after almost two years, my hips cannot be touched and I am in pain every day. I am active, although this has decreased my activity level and I am not overweight.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?