Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: walking easier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Shoe arches help! I had always been pretty healthy for a generally non-exercising person, and have what look to me like great high arches. After age 30 I had to give up my flip flops for more supportive walking shoes.

Published: June 14

I'm a 56 year old female, not overweight. I had a job with excessive lifting and for the last two years I've been having terrible hip pain. X-rays showed nothing, after six months one doctor did an MRI and I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. Treatment was a cortisone shot, it's been two days and I have no pain.

Comment from: diplo65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had bursitis in my right hip for almost a year. Steroid injections help as does anti-inflammatory medication, but it doesn't go away, and it is debilitating. The doctor prescribed physical therapy but my sister who has the same condition in the same hip (we go to the same doctor) went to physical therapy for two months and there was no good result. I went to my personal trainer, and after one hour of exercises designed to stretch the iliotibial band, I had relief! Blessed relief! She says it will disappear in a month if I follow her regimen. She's a miracle worker!

Comment from: flowergirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had hip bursitis for six months now, and the pain is excruciating. I have had injections to no avail. My best pain management at the moment is osteopath and a ray lamp for half an hour in the morning and night. I am thinking of trying acupuncture, too. The pain is, at times, mind-blowing; it takes your breath away. I am 41 and have no weight issues. I eat a gluten-free diet, but the pain is still awful, especially at night. I wish there was a cure. They say rest, but it is hard when you work full-time and have a family to care for.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I took Celebrex for my hip bursitis, then had a cortisone injection and started physical therapy (including acupuncture). Emphasis in PT is on strengthening my glutes, so they take strain off my hips when climbing stairs, etc. Therapist also massages between my vertebrae and hip muscles that have tightened up. Progress is slow, but definitely moving in the right direction after 3 weeks of PT. I also stopped running for now. Doing the exercises daily seems to make a big difference. Celebrex helps, but does not make the pain disappear.

Comment from: millie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have had hip and leg pain for almost 2 years. Went to a chiropractor and it hurt like hell when he adjusted me. I have had 2 accupunture treatments for bursitis which includes cupping. He says he will cure me in 6 treatments so we'll see. He said the inflammed bursa is causing pressure on my sciatic nerve which causing my leg pain. Makes sense to me, I am hoping it works since my insurance does not cover accupunture treatment.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a 30 year old female who was recently diagnosed with hip bursitis. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 6 years ago, thinking thats what was causing my hip pain to start with. The doctor has prescribed physiotherapy for me as I have taken anti-inflammatories before and found they only aggravate my stomach. Have little trouble sleeping at night as I take Elavil for my fibromyalgia, hopefully the physio helps.

Comment from: jamaicangyal1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I was just diagnosed today with hip bursitis by my doctor today. I was treated with cortisone injections. I had three in each hip. I truly hope that I will benefit more from this procedure, because a different physician administered too many injections in both my feet. It worked for a while, but in the long run, I am in worse shape.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?