Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: flowergirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had hip bursitis for six months now, and the pain is excruciating. I have had injections to no avail. My best pain management at the moment is osteopath and a ray lamp for half an hour in the morning and night. I am thinking of trying acupuncture, too. The pain is, at times, mind-blowing; it takes your breath away. I am 41 and have no weight issues. I eat a gluten-free diet, but the pain is still awful, especially at night. I wish there was a cure. They say rest, but it is hard when you work full-time and have a family to care for.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I took Celebrex for my hip bursitis, then had a cortisone injection and started physical therapy (including acupuncture). Emphasis in PT is on strengthening my glutes, so they take strain off my hips when climbing stairs, etc. Therapist also massages between my vertebrae and hip muscles that have tightened up. Progress is slow, but definitely moving in the right direction after 3 weeks of PT. I also stopped running for now. Doing the exercises daily seems to make a big difference. Celebrex helps, but does not make the pain disappear.

Comment from: millie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have had hip and leg pain for almost 2 years. Went to a chiropractor and it hurt like hell when he adjusted me. I have had 2 accupunture treatments for bursitis which includes cupping. He says he will cure me in 6 treatments so we'll see. He said the inflammed bursa is causing pressure on my sciatic nerve which causing my leg pain. Makes sense to me, I am hoping it works since my insurance does not cover accupunture treatment.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a 30 year old female who was recently diagnosed with hip bursitis. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 6 years ago, thinking thats what was causing my hip pain to start with. The doctor has prescribed physiotherapy for me as I have taken anti-inflammatories before and found they only aggravate my stomach. Have little trouble sleeping at night as I take Elavil for my fibromyalgia, hopefully the physio helps.

Comment from: jamaicangyal1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I was just diagnosed today with hip bursitis by my doctor today. I was treated with cortisone injections. I had three in each hip. I truly hope that I will benefit more from this procedure, because a different physician administered too many injections in both my feet. It worked for a while, but in the long run, I am in worse shape.

Comment from: bigred1966, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I received cortisone shot three days ago. The first day was excruciating. Day two was awesome. I got out of bed with no pain in my hip. It is now day three and my hip/leg is hurting like it did before. I'm hoping it gets better each day as the doctor suggested. I go back in a month to monitor progress and possibly another cortisone shot in the other hip. I'm remaining optimistic.

Comment from: lewis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I have bursitis in both hips, but am going through shock treatment at the moment which seems to be working.

Comment from: monica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 42 and started experiencing pain in both hips about a year ago. I also have fibromyalgia so I thought that's what it was. My internal medical doctor said it was bursitis of the hips. Yay! I have to go to the doctor for cortisone injections two weeks apart because the amount of cortisone is too much to get it done at once. So I seem to be going to the doctor a lot because I am in pain from it every other month. That's bad enough to seek treatment other than ibuprofen. I see my pain doctor on Tuesday so I think I am going to ask him about it. He is an anesthesiologist so he should be able to help me, hopefully! I sleep on my side and the pain keeps me up all night. It seems to occur in both hips at the same time.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?