Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Biker 94, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 64 year old female and fell two years ago on my right hip. I have doctored it for those two years with no relief. I just had surgery to remove the bursa sac on my right hip. I was told it will grow back, not sure about that though. I hope this does help, will find out soon I guess because this the 1st day after surgery. I could not lay down with out the pain, as long as I stood I had no pain.

Comment from: mypain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been suffering from bursitis for about two years. I finally went to a bone specialist who diagnosed me with bursitis. I tried the shots to no avail. It only lasted about three days. I then had the bursa sac removed and boy or boy it is worse now then ever. Just having my pants touch that area sends me into shock. Walking, sitting, resting, nothing gives me any relief. I asked my doctor for muscle relaxers and that seems to help take the edge off. Is there any other treatments out there? I feel like my muscles are tearing every time I walk.

Comment from: Lewis, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I am only 18 years old and this happened to me nine months ago and it's still going. I've been to the doctor at least four times and all I got was a prescription for Difene pills. I had the whole box-50 pills. My leg is killing me. I can't walk or move because it hurts so bad. I just wish I could get a bursectomy to get this over with because I'm sick and tired of it.

Comment from: mt cooky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was 66 years old when I was diagnosed with bursitis. Mobic did absolutely no good, so I had a shot of prednisone. It helped for some time, and then I started taking the 800 mg ibuprofen tablets until I was taking three a day. I thought it was too many and I had another shot seven months later, with Naprosyn for inflammation and Lori tabs for pain. The doctor told me to exercise, swim, or walk. I don't take the Lori tabs very often, I'm trying to do enough exercise. I'm not near as bad as many others, but have trouble sleeping.

Comment from: atrebor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had right hip pain on the outside of my right hip for months. I tried Aleve and extra strength Tylenol with little relief. I just had a cortisone injection about 36 hours ago and the pain in gone.

Comment from: scout, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I fell at home a week ago and hyperextended my right knee which really hurt, but two days later my left hip began hurting. It got so bad that I was limping and it was hard to sleep. I saw my orthopedist who took x-rays and said my knee had osteoarthritis and hip bursitis. I begin water therapy this week. Cannot take cortisone and take anti-inflammatory for arthritis, so no more of that. Two years ago I turned my back problem around with water therapy so I am going to try it again. The doctor also told me to begin exercising with leg lifts, front, back and side. I will start that after the pain subsides some. I am 69, a female and walk four days a week, garden, and stay active.

Comment from: cheribeau, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am very upset. I had a facet injection about a week ago. For the first time, I got no relief and my pain got worse! It got so bad within the last couple of days that I have to lift my leg to get in the car! Way beyond my normal pain. I just got back from the doctor again, and she told me I had bursitis of the hip. She gave me another steroid injection that did not give me much relief.

Comment from: Nscrgrl20, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was treated with bursa in both my hips with detho shots on 10 different occasions, finally my pain manager said I would need surgery. He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, who poked a few times on my hip, confirmed is was bursa of the hips and scheduled surgery that week. I went in a week ago on Thursday and while I'm still in pain, I think it's just because of surgery, they said the bursa was the size of a tennis ball on each side. It was done as out-patient. I was in at 10 and out by 2. My hips are sore but the intense pain has went away! Don't let any doctor keep trying injections, demand surgery and eventually you will be pain free

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?