Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: atrebor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had right hip pain on the outside of my right hip for months. I tried Aleve and extra strength Tylenol with little relief. I just had a cortisone injection about 36 hours ago and the pain in gone.

Comment from: scout, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I fell at home a week ago and hyperextended my right knee which really hurt, but two days later my left hip began hurting. It got so bad that I was limping and it was hard to sleep. I saw my orthopedist who took x-rays and said my knee had osteoarthritis and hip bursitis. I begin water therapy this week. Cannot take cortisone and take anti-inflammatory for arthritis, so no more of that. Two years ago I turned my back problem around with water therapy so I am going to try it again. The doctor also told me to begin exercising with leg lifts, front, back and side. I will start that after the pain subsides some. I am 69, a female and walk four days a week, garden, and stay active.

Comment from: cheribeau, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am very upset. I had a facet injection about a week ago. For the first time, I got no relief and my pain got worse! It got so bad within the last couple of days that I have to lift my leg to get in the car! Way beyond my normal pain. I just got back from the doctor again, and she told me I had bursitis of the hip. She gave me another steroid injection that did not give me much relief.

Comment from: Nscrgrl20, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was treated with bursa in both my hips with detho shots on 10 different occasions, finally my pain manager said I would need surgery. He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, who poked a few times on my hip, confirmed is was bursa of the hips and scheduled surgery that week. I went in a week ago on Thursday and while I'm still in pain, I think it's just because of surgery, they said the bursa was the size of a tennis ball on each side. It was done as out-patient. I was in at 10 and out by 2. My hips are sore but the intense pain has went away! Don't let any doctor keep trying injections, demand surgery and eventually you will be pain free

Comment from: BaDonkaStonk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

In Oct 2000 I had a left iliac crest bone graft for placement into my right wrist. Several weeks later the pain from the surgical site caused me to fall down a flight of concrete steps on same hip. We can fast forward now 12 years, 10 doctors, 5 different physical therapies, 3 cortisone shots, three different hospitals and the Department of Veterans Affairs has no idea how to treat my 12 years of pain. Pain in hip, down leg, pain after sitting and standing, pain going up and down stairs, pain after trying to work out, after golfing, pain pain pain. All classic symptoms of IT Band & Chronic trochanteric bursitis, which they at least admit I have. They tried PT for hip, knee, hip again, more hip, more knee, x-rays, MRI suggested FAI Syndrome, small labrel tear (10 years after fall for 1st MRI). I fought for two year to be sent outside VA System and was finally approved. The doctor I saw couldn't believe I've had 12 years of pain. He said I needed left hip bursectomy and IT Band Zplasty and that this is normally done within 3 years of first symptoms occurring not 12 years. Now I have to get the Dept of Vetarans Affairs to approve the surgery.

Comment from: walking easier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Shoe arches help! I had always been pretty healthy for a generally non-exercising person, and have what look to me like great high arches. After age 30 I had to give up my flip flops for more supportive walking shoes.

Published: June 14

I'm a 56 year old female, not overweight. I had a job with excessive lifting and for the last two years I've been having terrible hip pain. X-rays showed nothing, after six months one doctor did an MRI and I was diagnosed with hip bursitis. Treatment was a cortisone shot, it's been two days and I have no pain.

Comment from: diplo65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had bursitis in my right hip for almost a year. Steroid injections help as does anti-inflammatory medication, but it doesn't go away, and it is debilitating. The doctor prescribed physical therapy but my sister who has the same condition in the same hip (we go to the same doctor) went to physical therapy for two months and there was no good result. I went to my personal trainer, and after one hour of exercises designed to stretch the iliotibial band, I had relief! Blessed relief! She says it will disappear in a month if I follow her regimen. She's a miracle worker!

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?