Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Barney, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with Trochanteric Bursitis in March 2009 and after doing various exercises over a period of 4 months the pain was worsening. Cortisone injections were administered under u/sound un successfully and was followed up with another course on injections 3 weeks later. No improvement came from the second injections. Things were put on hold for 12 months in the hope things might settle down. Things again worsened and MRI's revealed that the Bursa had cacified. I had Autologous blood injections but again without success. I then had a Bursa Resection done. but in doing so it was found that some tendons on the Gluteus medeus had also some cacific deposits, this weas removed and for 6 months I was pain free. 6 weeks ago the pain started up again and recent MRI's indicted that the Bursa which had grown again as expected has an Oedema and soft tissue thickening, I wil now be back to square one with a course of cortisone starting again. here's hoping.

Comment from: tsimon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 23 and have been diagnosed with bursitis I have a history of stress fractures from my military service. But this has continued on. I am now 7 months pregnant and it is so painful just walking, standing and sitting. Obviously I cannot take any medications other than ice stretches and Tylenol. None of the above are helping.

Comment from: Biker 94, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 64 year old female and fell two years ago on my right hip. I have doctored it for those two years with no relief. I just had surgery to remove the bursa sac on my right hip. I was told it will grow back, not sure about that though. I hope this does help, will find out soon I guess because this the 1st day after surgery. I could not lay down with out the pain, as long as I stood I had no pain.

Comment from: mypain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been suffering from bursitis for about two years. I finally went to a bone specialist who diagnosed me with bursitis. I tried the shots to no avail. It only lasted about three days. I then had the bursa sac removed and boy or boy it is worse now then ever. Just having my pants touch that area sends me into shock. Walking, sitting, resting, nothing gives me any relief. I asked my doctor for muscle relaxers and that seems to help take the edge off. Is there any other treatments out there? I feel like my muscles are tearing every time I walk.

Comment from: Lewis, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I am only 18 years old and this happened to me nine months ago and it's still going. I've been to the doctor at least four times and all I got was a prescription for Difene pills. I had the whole box-50 pills. My leg is killing me. I can't walk or move because it hurts so bad. I just wish I could get a bursectomy to get this over with because I'm sick and tired of it.

Comment from: mt cooky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was 66 years old when I was diagnosed with bursitis. Mobic did absolutely no good, so I had a shot of prednisone. It helped for some time, and then I started taking the 800 mg ibuprofen tablets until I was taking three a day. I thought it was too many and I had another shot seven months later, with Naprosyn for inflammation and Lori tabs for pain. The doctor told me to exercise, swim, or walk. I don't take the Lori tabs very often, I'm trying to do enough exercise. I'm not near as bad as many others, but have trouble sleeping.

Comment from: atrebor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had right hip pain on the outside of my right hip for months. I tried Aleve and extra strength Tylenol with little relief. I just had a cortisone injection about 36 hours ago and the pain in gone.

Comment from: scout, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I fell at home a week ago and hyperextended my right knee which really hurt, but two days later my left hip began hurting. It got so bad that I was limping and it was hard to sleep. I saw my orthopedist who took x-rays and said my knee had osteoarthritis and hip bursitis. I begin water therapy this week. Cannot take cortisone and take anti-inflammatory for arthritis, so no more of that. Two years ago I turned my back problem around with water therapy so I am going to try it again. The doctor also told me to begin exercising with leg lifts, front, back and side. I will start that after the pain subsides some. I am 69, a female and walk four days a week, garden, and stay active.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?