Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: IGdoglover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have had sever right hip pain for 4 years now. I first had a surgeon resurface my hip joint because I thought Ihad a cyst and spurs. It took me a year to get over that surgery in the hope of being pain free. Now the pain is much worse and is in both hips. Now they say I have bursitis on both sides. I have done everything including pills, shots, rehab, homeopathic, massage, you name I have tried it. I can't live the life I want walking with crutches.

Comment from: Bruce, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a male who works out 5-6 days a week. I lift weights (pretty heavy for my age), do stretch band work and cardio. I wish to report that after a life-time of relatively pain-free workouts, I decided to give spin class a shot. It totally screwed up my hip. I am now resting from all the cardio and leg strength training for a week to 10 days. I refuse to say you shouldn't do spin classes but be aware it's not for everyone. If you're in shape, no matter your age and after a spin class your hip(s) bother you, stop immediately. It is not worth it. One exercise does not fit all.

Comment from: dendrology, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had bursitis in my right hip for about 4 years. Nothing I have done in the past has helped until I started massage therapy twice a week. The therapist applies kinesiology tape on my hip, and I am pain free for the week. It is a totally drug free treatment. It allows me to do my exercises to stretchen the IT band. If I miss my appointment it returns as the tape is good for about 6 days. It is miraculous stuff. This bursitis will not go away until I get my knee operated on, but will have to wait until I retire as I can't afford the recovery time.

Comment from: Katie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My pain started about a year ago. For me the worse pain is in the front of my thighs. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with bursitis. I have been going to Physical Therapy for the 2 weeks but it does not seem to help.

Published: October 09

I am a 62 year old female runner. I had a sudden onset of trochanteric bursitis when I was cutting back on my running due to the summer heat in Florida. Don't know what caused it, but seemed to not be an overuse injury. Symptoms were a searing, burning pain in the hip not relieved by ice or heat. I started rehapping on my own with the foam roller and the stick, continuing ice and hot jacuzzi therapy. It started to get better, but not fast enough for me, so I saw an orthopedic doctor and he confirmed that it was bursitis and suggested I could get a cortisone shot. I declined the shot after I was told that my current course of self therapy was the exact thing I should be doing. It took about a month of faithful rolling and walking rather than running, but it worked, and I have now started running again pain free. Unfortunately now I have five pounds to lose and I'm struggling to run consecutive miles. But that is fine as long as that horrible pain is gone.

Comment from: Barney, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with Trochanteric Bursitis in March 2009 and after doing various exercises over a period of 4 months the pain was worsening. Cortisone injections were administered under u/sound un successfully and was followed up with another course on injections 3 weeks later. No improvement came from the second injections. Things were put on hold for 12 months in the hope things might settle down. Things again worsened and MRI's revealed that the Bursa had cacified. I had Autologous blood injections but again without success. I then had a Bursa Resection done. but in doing so it was found that some tendons on the Gluteus medeus had also some cacific deposits, this weas removed and for 6 months I was pain free. 6 weeks ago the pain started up again and recent MRI's indicted that the Bursa which had grown again as expected has an Oedema and soft tissue thickening, I wil now be back to square one with a course of cortisone starting again. here's hoping.

Comment from: tsimon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 23 and have been diagnosed with bursitis I have a history of stress fractures from my military service. But this has continued on. I am now 7 months pregnant and it is so painful just walking, standing and sitting. Obviously I cannot take any medications other than ice stretches and Tylenol. None of the above are helping.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?