Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: dendrology, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had bursitis in my right hip for about 4 years. Nothing I have done in the past has helped until I started massage therapy twice a week. The therapist applies kinesiology tape on my hip, and I am pain free for the week. It is a totally drug free treatment. It allows me to do my exercises to stretchen the IT band. If I miss my appointment it returns as the tape is good for about 6 days. It is miraculous stuff. This bursitis will not go away until I get my knee operated on, but will have to wait until I retire as I can't afford the recovery time.

Comment from: Katie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My pain started about a year ago. For me the worse pain is in the front of my thighs. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with bursitis. I have been going to Physical Therapy for the 2 weeks but it does not seem to help.

Published: October 09

I am a 62 year old female runner. I had a sudden onset of trochanteric bursitis when I was cutting back on my running due to the summer heat in Florida. Don't know what caused it, but seemed to not be an overuse injury. Symptoms were a searing, burning pain in the hip not relieved by ice or heat. I started rehapping on my own with the foam roller and the stick, continuing ice and hot jacuzzi therapy. It started to get better, but not fast enough for me, so I saw an orthopedic doctor and he confirmed that it was bursitis and suggested I could get a cortisone shot. I declined the shot after I was told that my current course of self therapy was the exact thing I should be doing. It took about a month of faithful rolling and walking rather than running, but it worked, and I have now started running again pain free. Unfortunately now I have five pounds to lose and I'm struggling to run consecutive miles. But that is fine as long as that horrible pain is gone.

Comment from: Barney, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with Trochanteric Bursitis in March 2009 and after doing various exercises over a period of 4 months the pain was worsening. Cortisone injections were administered under u/sound un successfully and was followed up with another course on injections 3 weeks later. No improvement came from the second injections. Things were put on hold for 12 months in the hope things might settle down. Things again worsened and MRI's revealed that the Bursa had cacified. I had Autologous blood injections but again without success. I then had a Bursa Resection done. but in doing so it was found that some tendons on the Gluteus medeus had also some cacific deposits, this weas removed and for 6 months I was pain free. 6 weeks ago the pain started up again and recent MRI's indicted that the Bursa which had grown again as expected has an Oedema and soft tissue thickening, I wil now be back to square one with a course of cortisone starting again. here's hoping.

Comment from: tsimon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 23 and have been diagnosed with bursitis I have a history of stress fractures from my military service. But this has continued on. I am now 7 months pregnant and it is so painful just walking, standing and sitting. Obviously I cannot take any medications other than ice stretches and Tylenol. None of the above are helping.

Comment from: Biker 94, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I am a 64 year old female and fell two years ago on my right hip. I have doctored it for those two years with no relief. I just had surgery to remove the bursa sac on my right hip. I was told it will grow back, not sure about that though. I hope this does help, will find out soon I guess because this the 1st day after surgery. I could not lay down with out the pain, as long as I stood I had no pain.

Comment from: mypain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been suffering from bursitis for about two years. I finally went to a bone specialist who diagnosed me with bursitis. I tried the shots to no avail. It only lasted about three days. I then had the bursa sac removed and boy or boy it is worse now then ever. Just having my pants touch that area sends me into shock. Walking, sitting, resting, nothing gives me any relief. I asked my doctor for muscle relaxers and that seems to help take the edge off. Is there any other treatments out there? I feel like my muscles are tearing every time I walk.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?