Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Marge T, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I started with hip pain in both hips about 10 years ago was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and put on glucosamine. It helped with getting in and out of cars and standing after sitting. Three years ago, my knee started to bother me. I have osteoarthritis in my knee, and started Synvisc-One injections. The pain in my hip kept getting worse, and an X-ray revealed I had bursitis. The doctor sent me to a physical therapist. I actively did exercises but the left hip continued to get worse. I received cortisone injections, and with the exercise it got better. I've been doing the exercises at least three times per weeks for three years. Recently, I had another bout of hip bursitis. I just got another injection and was told to do my exercises about seven days a week. Hopefully, this will help.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am a 64-year-old woman, fit, and not overweight. I've suffered the pain and inconvenience of bursitis for at least 10 years. It wasn't diagnosed for at least five years. I've had all the normal treatments, but nothing lasts. Recently, I had another cortisone injection and am in more pain than ever. Sleep is a rare occurrence. I hope something more natural can give me some relief soon. The pain is terrible, and extends to my foot.

Comment from: oasis888, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Three years after the on-set and diagnosis I've done cortisone shots 2 to 3 times a year, rehab twice, iced my hip 2 to 4 times a day, tried acupuncture and a chiropractor, and seen two orthopedists for second opinions and help. Other than the shots giving me relief for 2-3 months nothing else works.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I'm 48 years old and was recently diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip. Originally, I thought it was a flare up of sciatica that I had a number of years ago. I'm so glad I came to this site, because I thought I was overly fixated on the pain. Now I know that the pain is as extreme as I thought it was. I'm starting the anti-inflammatories this week, so hopefully that'll help. It feels like I have a golf ball attached to the inside of my hip. The pain wakes me up in the middle of the night when I turn over.

Comment from: Hootmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am a 34 year old female that is not overweight at all and fairly healthy. I started having bad shoulder and hip pain a few months ago. I finally got diagnosed with bursitis and the doctor gave me a cortisone injection in each hip. It was very painful the first two days but the relief now is amazing.

Comment from: love to hike, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have hip bursitis and ilitibial band syndrome on my left hip. My orthopedic doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory patches and I'm seeing a massage therapist along with a sports injury doctor. We are using different methods to help the bursitis. After 3 months, I am feeling so much better and I'm able to sleep on my left side.

Comment from: IGdoglover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have had sever right hip pain for 4 years now. I first had a surgeon resurface my hip joint because I thought Ihad a cyst and spurs. It took me a year to get over that surgery in the hope of being pain free. Now the pain is much worse and is in both hips. Now they say I have bursitis on both sides. I have done everything including pills, shots, rehab, homeopathic, massage, you name I have tried it. I can't live the life I want walking with crutches.

Comment from: Bruce, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a male who works out 5-6 days a week. I lift weights (pretty heavy for my age), do stretch band work and cardio. I wish to report that after a life-time of relatively pain-free workouts, I decided to give spin class a shot. It totally screwed up my hip. I am now resting from all the cardio and leg strength training for a week to 10 days. I refuse to say you shouldn't do spin classes but be aware it's not for everyone. If you're in shape, no matter your age and after a spin class your hip(s) bother you, stop immediately. It is not worth it. One exercise does not fit all.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?