Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: awesomegranny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

At first it felt like my legs were screwed in wrong and the pain would be so bad my knees would buckle. The pain got worse in both hips. Then I couldn't sleep, no matter which side – even with a pillow between my legs. I went to the doctor and got shots. It helped for only about two months tops. During this time, I also had physical therapy. However, it is almost constant now and you can actually feel the heat when you touch lightly. So now I use a cane when it isn't too bad or it is just one side at a time. Other times I'm reduced to using a walker so that when my knees buckle, I won't fall. Getting in the car can be excruciating.

Comment from: Gimpy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I've been trying to cure bursitis in my left hip for four months. The initial treatment was an ultrasound-guided steroid injection. The painkiller in the shot confirmed hip bursitis. The injection was repeated a few weeks later. For many people, that is enough to get a cure. My hip bursitis returned. I'm also seeing an experienced physical therapist. Both the doctors and the physical therapist say that hip bursitis is due to weak upper hip muscles. The steroid injections and anti-inflammatories just give a patient time to rehab their hip muscles. So, I do the exercises and stretches and try not to aggravate it.

Comment from: Marge T, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I started with hip pain in both hips about 10 years ago was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and put on glucosamine. It helped with getting in and out of cars and standing after sitting. Three years ago, my knee started to bother me. I have osteoarthritis in my knee, and started Synvisc-One injections. The pain in my hip kept getting worse, and an X-ray revealed I had bursitis. The doctor sent me to a physical therapist. I actively did exercises but the left hip continued to get worse. I received cortisone injections, and with the exercise it got better. I've been doing the exercises at least three times per weeks for three years. Recently, I had another bout of hip bursitis. I just got another injection and was told to do my exercises about seven days a week. Hopefully, this will help.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am a 64-year-old woman, fit, and not overweight. I've suffered the pain and inconvenience of bursitis for at least 10 years. It wasn't diagnosed for at least five years. I've had all the normal treatments, but nothing lasts. Recently, I had another cortisone injection and am in more pain than ever. Sleep is a rare occurrence. I hope something more natural can give me some relief soon. The pain is terrible, and extends to my foot.

Comment from: oasis888, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Three years after the on-set and diagnosis I've done cortisone shots 2 to 3 times a year, rehab twice, iced my hip 2 to 4 times a day, tried acupuncture and a chiropractor, and seen two orthopedists for second opinions and help. Other than the shots giving me relief for 2-3 months nothing else works.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I'm 48 years old and was recently diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip. Originally, I thought it was a flare up of sciatica that I had a number of years ago. I'm so glad I came to this site, because I thought I was overly fixated on the pain. Now I know that the pain is as extreme as I thought it was. I'm starting the anti-inflammatories this week, so hopefully that'll help. It feels like I have a golf ball attached to the inside of my hip. The pain wakes me up in the middle of the night when I turn over.

Comment from: Hootmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am a 34 year old female that is not overweight at all and fairly healthy. I started having bad shoulder and hip pain a few months ago. I finally got diagnosed with bursitis and the doctor gave me a cortisone injection in each hip. It was very painful the first two days but the relief now is amazing.

Comment from: love to hike, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have hip bursitis and ilitibial band syndrome on my left hip. My orthopedic doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory patches and I'm seeing a massage therapist along with a sports injury doctor. We are using different methods to help the bursitis. After 3 months, I am feeling so much better and I'm able to sleep on my left side.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?