Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: oasis888, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Three years after the on-set and diagnosis I've done cortisone shots 2 to 3 times a year, rehab twice, iced my hip 2 to 4 times a day, tried acupuncture and a chiropractor, and seen two orthopedists for second opinions and help. Other than the shots giving me relief for 2-3 months nothing else works.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I'm 48 years old and was recently diagnosed with bursitis in my right hip. Originally, I thought it was a flare up of sciatica that I had a number of years ago. I'm so glad I came to this site, because I thought I was overly fixated on the pain. Now I know that the pain is as extreme as I thought it was. I'm starting the anti-inflammatories this week, so hopefully that'll help. It feels like I have a golf ball attached to the inside of my hip. The pain wakes me up in the middle of the night when I turn over.

Comment from: Hootmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I am a 34 year old female that is not overweight at all and fairly healthy. I started having bad shoulder and hip pain a few months ago. I finally got diagnosed with bursitis and the doctor gave me a cortisone injection in each hip. It was very painful the first two days but the relief now is amazing.

Comment from: love to hike, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have hip bursitis and ilitibial band syndrome on my left hip. My orthopedic doctor prescribed me anti-inflammatory patches and I'm seeing a massage therapist along with a sports injury doctor. We are using different methods to help the bursitis. After 3 months, I am feeling so much better and I'm able to sleep on my left side.

Comment from: IGdoglover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have had sever right hip pain for 4 years now. I first had a surgeon resurface my hip joint because I thought Ihad a cyst and spurs. It took me a year to get over that surgery in the hope of being pain free. Now the pain is much worse and is in both hips. Now they say I have bursitis on both sides. I have done everything including pills, shots, rehab, homeopathic, massage, you name I have tried it. I can't live the life I want walking with crutches.

Comment from: Bruce, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a male who works out 5-6 days a week. I lift weights (pretty heavy for my age), do stretch band work and cardio. I wish to report that after a life-time of relatively pain-free workouts, I decided to give spin class a shot. It totally screwed up my hip. I am now resting from all the cardio and leg strength training for a week to 10 days. I refuse to say you shouldn't do spin classes but be aware it's not for everyone. If you're in shape, no matter your age and after a spin class your hip(s) bother you, stop immediately. It is not worth it. One exercise does not fit all.

Comment from: dendrology, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had bursitis in my right hip for about 4 years. Nothing I have done in the past has helped until I started massage therapy twice a week. The therapist applies kinesiology tape on my hip, and I am pain free for the week. It is a totally drug free treatment. It allows me to do my exercises to stretchen the IT band. If I miss my appointment it returns as the tape is good for about 6 days. It is miraculous stuff. This bursitis will not go away until I get my knee operated on, but will have to wait until I retire as I can't afford the recovery time.

Comment from: Katie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My pain started about a year ago. For me the worse pain is in the front of my thighs. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with bursitis. I have been going to Physical Therapy for the 2 weeks but it does not seem to help.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?