Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Lyndy lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I've had pain in my hip area for some length of time and finally last week my Dr. diagnosed it as Hip Bursitis. I couldn't believe that no-one had found this out before. I've been given Morphine for chronic back pain however this does not take the pain from the Bursitis away! So this Thursday 8th Dec. I'm going to have a local anesthetic and then a Steroid injection put into the area. I do hope that this will help me as the pain is so chronic each and every day! It takes its toll after a while you can only take so much pain!

Comment from: Much better now!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 54 year. old female, 20 pounds overweight but very active. I suffered from right, outer hip pain that radiated to my groin with numbness of my outer thigh just above my knee for almost a year. I had x-rays and MRI which showed nothing so I was Rxed physical therapy. After 6 weeks of 2x/week pt nothing was better. The pain was awful when I sat or layed down. Sitting in meetings was Pure Misery. I even dreaded going to bed (and I'm an EXCELLENT sleeper!) because I was in pain laying down - right side, left side, backside or stomach; it didn't matter. Standing, walking, working out were painless. I finally got an appt with a hip specialist. He said, "Bursitis", gave me a cortisone shot and I have been fine ever since. But it was a long, miserable year!

Comment from: trackwa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 41 year old female who has suffered with bursitis for around 3 years plus. I had steroid injections which did not work. I have gained 3 stone in weight as I am that immobile. I had 1 week today surgery to remove the bursa. Also they found I had bone spurs on my hip which they have also removed. I am hoping this surgery is the end to my misery. I could not walk stand or sit for long periods and my legs would ache through lack of use. My hip would 'go' at any time i am not sure if this pain was from the bursitis or the bone spurs. I have been taking painkillers and diclofecin (brufen) constantly. I am hoping that the surgery will free me form pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Have history of back problems. Three surgeries with spacer implants on last 2 discs. Happened during 12 year period. Developed left hip pain 7 months ago and can't sleep on left side. Referred to orthopedic surgeon. Diagnosed hip bursitis. Pain on hip, leg-hip joint, side of left knee & lower back of left leg. Given meds for 3 weeks which helped some. Then given cortisone injection. Did not get much relief. After one month, going back for follow-up after 2 months.

Comment from: Female Published: September 13

I'm a 63-year old woman and spent years trying to find relief from my hip bursitis (both sides). I've been to every specialist you can name and many alternative practitioners. I am much better now due to a 3 day a week rotation for 2 years among an osteopathic doctor, an acupressure doctor and a deep massage therapist. Very expensive but worth it. However I still have pain in bed and sleeping is difficult. I'm very active however and not willing to give it up. Start with an osteopathic doctor. They saved my life.

Comment from: docfirstinfdiv, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 63 year old male, and an avid horseback rider. This past July I went on a horse/mule pack trip into one of our wilderness areas. After a short distance (6miles) my right hip began to have a burning type pain that was so bad I became nauseous. I had to have assistance in getting on and off my horse, I could hardly raise my right leg high enough to clear the cantle. The trail that I was on was narrow and went up hill and downhill, so I was putting a lot of pressure on my legs and hips. But only the right was the problem. Long story short I ended up being airlifted to a trauma center where I was diagnosed with Bursitis and Arthritis. Treatment rest alternate heat /ice, follow up with family ortho. Being a trainer I have taken numerous hits on that hip area.

Comment from: shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have suffered with osteoarthritis for 15 years now and have finally had another diagnosis of hip bursitis. I am not sleeping and am in so much pain and have had this injection for frozen shoulder which worked amazingly well. I have also had an injection in the base of my spine and was in the worst pain ever, so I am quite dubious about the whole thing.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?