Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Have history of back problems. Three surgeries with spacer implants on last 2 discs. Happened during 12 year period. Developed left hip pain 7 months ago and can't sleep on left side. Referred to orthopedic surgeon. Diagnosed hip bursitis. Pain on hip, leg-hip joint, side of left knee & lower back of left leg. Given meds for 3 weeks which helped some. Then given cortisone injection. Did not get much relief. After one month, going back for follow-up after 2 months.

Comment from: Female Published: September 13

I'm a 63-year old woman and spent years trying to find relief from my hip bursitis (both sides). I've been to every specialist you can name and many alternative practitioners. I am much better now due to a 3 day a week rotation for 2 years among an osteopathic doctor, an acupressure doctor and a deep massage therapist. Very expensive but worth it. However I still have pain in bed and sleeping is difficult. I'm very active however and not willing to give it up. Start with an osteopathic doctor. They saved my life.

Comment from: docfirstinfdiv, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 63 year old male, and an avid horseback rider. This past July I went on a horse/mule pack trip into one of our wilderness areas. After a short distance (6miles) my right hip began to have a burning type pain that was so bad I became nauseous. I had to have assistance in getting on and off my horse, I could hardly raise my right leg high enough to clear the cantle. The trail that I was on was narrow and went up hill and downhill, so I was putting a lot of pressure on my legs and hips. But only the right was the problem. Long story short I ended up being airlifted to a trauma center where I was diagnosed with Bursitis and Arthritis. Treatment rest alternate heat /ice, follow up with family ortho. Being a trainer I have taken numerous hits on that hip area.

Comment from: Bev, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 33-year-old female and have been dealing with chronic hip pain for a rear and a half. It started after doing the "Insanity" video for the first time. I went to sleep and woke up with my leg stuck turned outward. I couldn't put weight on it or face my leg forward. I was diagnosed with synovitis of the hip and put on pills. As soon as the pills are done I'm back where I started. I have been through three doctors and three rounds of Voltaren pills. I'm still in pain. I used to be a runner and can no longer run, or walk for long periods. I am so frustrated and have gained 30 pounds since.

Comment from: Hollym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am 43 & have had bursitis in my hip 3 times now. This last time it has lasted for a year so far. I have done physical therapy, steroid shots into the bursa, NSAIDs. I am now using an ointment with CBD that I heard about a marathon runner using. It is alievating the pain & I am hoping it will get rid of this. I am tired of the pain & the xray shows nothing else wrong. It started in the right & after 8 months both were effected.

Comment from: painfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am a 41 year old nurse who started experiencing left hip pain last fall. I treated it with anti-inflammatories and would rest it when it flared up. This went on for approximately 10 months. Then I worked several busy shifts in a row and the pain became so bad that I was limping and using warm packs and ice packs along with anti-inflammatories just to try to get through a 12 hour shift. I went to see my doctor who ordered x-rays of the my hip and pelvis. The x-rays were normal. He did a thorough exam, was able to pinpoint the area of pain and I received a cortisone injection. I went back to work that night and iced it every few hours, continued the anti-inflammatories and now, 2 days later, I am pain free. I hope this lasts!

Comment from: Gracey612, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Hip bursitis is the worst pain. I sustained a serious blow to my left hip in an accident 3 years ago and it developed from there. I tried pt, even narcotic pain relievers that gave some relief but not enough to stay on them. I had a cortisone injection by guided ultrasound and got relief in 2 days! It was a miracle. Now when the pain flares once in a while I go For acupuncture and the pain gets better in a few hours! If you suffer from this horrible pain try either treatment! By the time my doctor appointment was made I had to do the cortisone but now the acupuncture will nip the horrible pain. I hope this post helps someone. It is such a horrible pain. Good luck to everyone with hip bursitis. Please don't suffer go for the treatment!

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?