Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: ejean12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 70 year old female. I have been in pain since my Laminectomy back surgery in Nov 2007. Since then I have had a 2 Fusion back surgery in Jun 2008. I have not been able to walk but for a short distant, stand for a short time, and sitting gives me a lot of pain. Laying down helps but at night I have problems sleeping on my left side tossing & turning. My life has changed so much since that surgery in 2007. I have always been very active. I lost weight in 2007 and have kept it off ever since. I ended up with Cushing's disease 2010 due to so many steroid epidural and injections. They didn't even help. I cannot have steroid injections and have to keep a Medrol Pak(steroid) only in case of emergency due to the Cushing's disease. I finally asked my regular doctor what can be done after having Steroid injections for over 3 years. My doctor sent me back to pain management doctor that diagnosed my condition in 2008 and he sent me to Ortho Dr which did exactly that. Pain has taken over my life and I needed some help. The Pain management doctor told me I had a pinched nerve, bursa and SI-joint on left side. The doctor explained my condition is Superior Cluneal Neuralgia. He has given me one Superior cluneal nerve block for evaluating and treating. It did help a lot so I am to have one more nerve block and if that helps relieve my pain Dr will do a Radiofrequency Neurology which states duration of pain relief varies, but typically 10-36 months with the average response 18-20 months of relief from this pain. I am excited thinking that maybe I will be without this pain for a good while. Pray that it will.

Comment from: Bev, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 33-year-old female and have been dealing with chronic hip pain for a rear and a half. It started after doing the "Insanity" video for the first time. I went to sleep and woke up with my leg stuck turned outward. I couldn't put weight on it or face my leg forward. I was diagnosed with synovitis of the hip and put on pills. As soon as the pills are done I'm back where I started. I have been through three doctors and three rounds of Voltaren pills. I'm still in pain. I used to be a runner and can no longer run, or walk for long periods. I am so frustrated and have gained 30 pounds since.

Comment from: Hollym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am 43 & have had bursitis in my hip 3 times now. This last time it has lasted for a year so far. I have done physical therapy, steroid shots into the bursa, NSAIDs. I am now using an ointment with CBD that I heard about a marathon runner using. It is alievating the pain & I am hoping it will get rid of this. I am tired of the pain & the xray shows nothing else wrong. It started in the right & after 8 months both were effected.

Comment from: painfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am a 41 year old nurse who started experiencing left hip pain last fall. I treated it with anti-inflammatories and would rest it when it flared up. This went on for approximately 10 months. Then I worked several busy shifts in a row and the pain became so bad that I was limping and using warm packs and ice packs along with anti-inflammatories just to try to get through a 12 hour shift. I went to see my doctor who ordered x-rays of the my hip and pelvis. The x-rays were normal. He did a thorough exam, was able to pinpoint the area of pain and I received a cortisone injection. I went back to work that night and iced it every few hours, continued the anti-inflammatories and now, 2 days later, I am pain free. I hope this lasts!

Comment from: Gracey612, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Hip bursitis is the worst pain. I sustained a serious blow to my left hip in an accident 3 years ago and it developed from there. I tried pt, even narcotic pain relievers that gave some relief but not enough to stay on them. I had a cortisone injection by guided ultrasound and got relief in 2 days! It was a miracle. Now when the pain flares once in a while I go For acupuncture and the pain gets better in a few hours! If you suffer from this horrible pain try either treatment! By the time my doctor appointment was made I had to do the cortisone but now the acupuncture will nip the horrible pain. I hope this post helps someone. It is such a horrible pain. Good luck to everyone with hip bursitis. Please don't suffer go for the treatment!

Comment from: Erthluvr1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My father always said, "If it hurts, don't do it." So, I don't! I don't walk for fun anymore, and I've slowed my walking pace. I wear rocker-bottom shoes (Shape-ups, etc.), use the elliptical for cardio, and keep ibuprofen handy, along with something stronger for when I really mess up. I tried swimming, but kept overdoing it and just ended up inflamed. I started to try water walking, but it was too slow for me. I've learned what I can/can't do. I can't go hiking (and I live in Washington), so I have my frustrating moments, but I know what happens if I try things like that and I've just learned to spend my time doing other things. Getting my core muscles stronger also seems to have helped. More support around the joints = less pressure on the joint while walking? I don't know, but it helped.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?