Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: painfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am a 41 year old nurse who started experiencing left hip pain last fall. I treated it with anti-inflammatories and would rest it when it flared up. This went on for approximately 10 months. Then I worked several busy shifts in a row and the pain became so bad that I was limping and using warm packs and ice packs along with anti-inflammatories just to try to get through a 12 hour shift. I went to see my doctor who ordered x-rays of the my hip and pelvis. The x-rays were normal. He did a thorough exam, was able to pinpoint the area of pain and I received a cortisone injection. I went back to work that night and iced it every few hours, continued the anti-inflammatories and now, 2 days later, I am pain free. I hope this lasts!

Comment from: Gracey612, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Hip bursitis is the worst pain. I sustained a serious blow to my left hip in an accident 3 years ago and it developed from there. I tried pt, even narcotic pain relievers that gave some relief but not enough to stay on them. I had a cortisone injection by guided ultrasound and got relief in 2 days! It was a miracle. Now when the pain flares once in a while I go For acupuncture and the pain gets better in a few hours! If you suffer from this horrible pain try either treatment! By the time my doctor appointment was made I had to do the cortisone but now the acupuncture will nip the horrible pain. I hope this post helps someone. It is such a horrible pain. Good luck to everyone with hip bursitis. Please don't suffer go for the treatment!

Comment from: Erthluvr1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My father always said, "If it hurts, don't do it." So, I don't! I don't walk for fun anymore, and I've slowed my walking pace. I wear rocker-bottom shoes (Shape-ups, etc.), use the elliptical for cardio, and keep ibuprofen handy, along with something stronger for when I really mess up. I tried swimming, but kept overdoing it and just ended up inflamed. I started to try water walking, but it was too slow for me. I've learned what I can/can't do. I can't go hiking (and I live in Washington), so I have my frustrating moments, but I know what happens if I try things like that and I've just learned to spend my time doing other things. Getting my core muscles stronger also seems to have helped. More support around the joints = less pressure on the joint while walking? I don't know, but it helped.

Comment from: Kailua girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

For two weeks, I participated in Zumba and strength classes at my gym. Ten days later, I woke up with severe pain around my left IT Band. I discovered that I had left hip bursitis. My Internist prescribed Naproxen 500 mg to be taken every 12 hours; and Tylenol with Codeine three times a day. I had to ice my leg five times a day, for a total of 2 ½ hours. Per my doctor's orders, I could not exercise or do distance walking. Also, I did not sleep on my stomach or left side to alleviate the pain. Additionally, I elevated my leg with couch pillows at night, and consistently throughout the day. At my second internist visit, I shared that healing is a slow process. My internist referred me to an orthopedic surgeon for cortisone shot in my most painful left hip bursa. I took my shot today and feel relieved that the worst is over! After two weeks, if the pain does not subside, I need another shot in another bursa. The orthopedic surgeon said the pain will be gone soon. I am so relieved. I've been worrying about leg pain for five weeks. I wish you all well – good luck.

Comment from: awesomegranny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

At first it felt like my legs were screwed in wrong and the pain would be so bad my knees would buckle. The pain got worse in both hips. Then I couldn't sleep, no matter which side – even with a pillow between my legs. I went to the doctor and got shots. It helped for only about two months tops. During this time, I also had physical therapy. However, it is almost constant now and you can actually feel the heat when you touch lightly. So now I use a cane when it isn't too bad or it is just one side at a time. Other times I'm reduced to using a walker so that when my knees buckle, I won't fall. Getting in the car can be excruciating.

Comment from: Gimpy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I've been trying to cure bursitis in my left hip for four months. The initial treatment was an ultrasound-guided steroid injection. The painkiller in the shot confirmed hip bursitis. The injection was repeated a few weeks later. For many people, that is enough to get a cure. My hip bursitis returned. I'm also seeing an experienced physical therapist. Both the doctors and the physical therapist say that hip bursitis is due to weak upper hip muscles. The steroid injections and anti-inflammatories just give a patient time to rehab their hip muscles. So, I do the exercises and stretches and try not to aggravate it.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?