Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am a 75-year-old female. I have had bursitis in my hip for several years. I have been treated by numerous doctors and had injections put in my hip. Sometimes the results would last two weeks, and if I was lucky, six months. I also went to a pain clinic and had so many shots that I had what is called "moon face.” My face was swollen for several months. I finally found a doctor that showed me some exercises to do that really helped! He also puts a shot in my hip about once a year. I am now also taking water aerobics, and I think that has helped a lot. I now feel better than I have in several years.

Comment from: Bev, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 33-year-old female and have been dealing with chronic hip pain for a rear and a half. It started after doing the "Insanity" video for the first time. I went to sleep and woke up with my leg stuck turned outward. I couldn't put weight on it or face my leg forward. I was diagnosed with synovitis of the hip and put on pills. As soon as the pills are done I'm back where I started. I have been through three doctors and three rounds of Voltaren pills. I'm still in pain. I used to be a runner and can no longer run, or walk for long periods. I am so frustrated and have gained 30 pounds since.

Comment from: Hollym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am 43 & have had bursitis in my hip 3 times now. This last time it has lasted for a year so far. I have done physical therapy, steroid shots into the bursa, NSAIDs. I am now using an ointment with CBD that I heard about a marathon runner using. It is alievating the pain & I am hoping it will get rid of this. I am tired of the pain & the xray shows nothing else wrong. It started in the right & after 8 months both were effected.

Comment from: painfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am a 41 year old nurse who started experiencing left hip pain last fall. I treated it with anti-inflammatories and would rest it when it flared up. This went on for approximately 10 months. Then I worked several busy shifts in a row and the pain became so bad that I was limping and using warm packs and ice packs along with anti-inflammatories just to try to get through a 12 hour shift. I went to see my doctor who ordered x-rays of the my hip and pelvis. The x-rays were normal. He did a thorough exam, was able to pinpoint the area of pain and I received a cortisone injection. I went back to work that night and iced it every few hours, continued the anti-inflammatories and now, 2 days later, I am pain free. I hope this lasts!

Comment from: Gracey612, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Hip bursitis is the worst pain. I sustained a serious blow to my left hip in an accident 3 years ago and it developed from there. I tried pt, even narcotic pain relievers that gave some relief but not enough to stay on them. I had a cortisone injection by guided ultrasound and got relief in 2 days! It was a miracle. Now when the pain flares once in a while I go For acupuncture and the pain gets better in a few hours! If you suffer from this horrible pain try either treatment! By the time my doctor appointment was made I had to do the cortisone but now the acupuncture will nip the horrible pain. I hope this post helps someone. It is such a horrible pain. Good luck to everyone with hip bursitis. Please don't suffer go for the treatment!

Comment from: Erthluvr1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My father always said, "If it hurts, don't do it." So, I don't! I don't walk for fun anymore, and I've slowed my walking pace. I wear rocker-bottom shoes (Shape-ups, etc.), use the elliptical for cardio, and keep ibuprofen handy, along with something stronger for when I really mess up. I tried swimming, but kept overdoing it and just ended up inflamed. I started to try water walking, but it was too slow for me. I've learned what I can/can't do. I can't go hiking (and I live in Washington), so I have my frustrating moments, but I know what happens if I try things like that and I've just learned to spend my time doing other things. Getting my core muscles stronger also seems to have helped. More support around the joints = less pressure on the joint while walking? I don't know, but it helped.

Comment from: Kailua girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

For two weeks, I participated in Zumba and strength classes at my gym. Ten days later, I woke up with severe pain around my left IT Band. I discovered that I had left hip bursitis. My Internist prescribed Naproxen 500 mg to be taken every 12 hours; and Tylenol with Codeine three times a day. I had to ice my leg five times a day, for a total of 2 ½ hours. Per my doctor's orders, I could not exercise or do distance walking. Also, I did not sleep on my stomach or left side to alleviate the pain. Additionally, I elevated my leg with couch pillows at night, and consistently throughout the day. At my second internist visit, I shared that healing is a slow process. My internist referred me to an orthopedic surgeon for cortisone shot in my most painful left hip bursa. I took my shot today and feel relieved that the worst is over! After two weeks, if the pain does not subside, I need another shot in another bursa. The orthopedic surgeon said the pain will be gone soon. I am so relieved. I've been worrying about leg pain for five weeks. I wish you all well – good luck.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?