Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: trackwa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 41 year old female who has suffered with bursitis for around 3 years plus. I had steroid injections which did not work. I have gained 3 stone in weight as I am that immobile. I had 1 week today surgery to remove the bursa. Also they found I had bone spurs on my hip which they have also removed. I am hoping this surgery is the end to my misery. I could not walk stand or sit for long periods and my legs would ache through lack of use. My hip would 'go' at any time i am not sure if this pain was from the bursitis or the bone spurs. I have been taking painkillers and diclofecin (brufen) constantly. I am hoping that the surgery will free me form pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Have history of back problems. Three surgeries with spacer implants on last 2 discs. Happened during 12 year period. Developed left hip pain 7 months ago and can't sleep on left side. Referred to orthopedic surgeon. Diagnosed hip bursitis. Pain on hip, leg-hip joint, side of left knee & lower back of left leg. Given meds for 3 weeks which helped some. Then given cortisone injection. Did not get much relief. After one month, going back for follow-up after 2 months.

Comment from: Female Published: September 13

I'm a 63-year old woman and spent years trying to find relief from my hip bursitis (both sides). I've been to every specialist you can name and many alternative practitioners. I am much better now due to a 3 day a week rotation for 2 years among an osteopathic doctor, an acupressure doctor and a deep massage therapist. Very expensive but worth it. However I still have pain in bed and sleeping is difficult. I'm very active however and not willing to give it up. Start with an osteopathic doctor. They saved my life.

Comment from: docfirstinfdiv, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 63 year old male, and an avid horseback rider. This past July I went on a horse/mule pack trip into one of our wilderness areas. After a short distance (6miles) my right hip began to have a burning type pain that was so bad I became nauseous. I had to have assistance in getting on and off my horse, I could hardly raise my right leg high enough to clear the cantle. The trail that I was on was narrow and went up hill and downhill, so I was putting a lot of pressure on my legs and hips. But only the right was the problem. Long story short I ended up being airlifted to a trauma center where I was diagnosed with Bursitis and Arthritis. Treatment rest alternate heat /ice, follow up with family ortho. Being a trainer I have taken numerous hits on that hip area.

Comment from: Self medicate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have a desk job and 3 years ago, at age 44, began getting severe hip pain on both sides. We had just bought a puppy and I noticed the hip pain subsided a bit after I walked him. I now walk 3 miles a day to keep all the pain away. Have lost over 30 pounds at the same time. Doctor just diagnosed me today with bursitis and gave me vicodin to take when I am unable to walk (snowstorms, 100 degree heat).

Comment from: ejean12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 70 year old female. I have been in pain since my Laminectomy back surgery in Nov 2007. Since then I have had a 2 Fusion back surgery in Jun 2008. I have not been able to walk but for a short distant, stand for a short time, and sitting gives me a lot of pain. Laying down helps but at night I have problems sleeping on my left side tossing & turning. My life has changed so much since that surgery in 2007. I have always been very active. I lost weight in 2007 and have kept it off ever since. I ended up with Cushing's disease 2010 due to so many steroid epidural and injections. They didn't even help. I cannot have steroid injections and have to keep a Medrol Pak(steroid) only in case of emergency due to the Cushing's disease. I finally asked my regular doctor what can be done after having Steroid injections for over 3 years. My doctor sent me back to pain management doctor that diagnosed my condition in 2008 and he sent me to Ortho Dr which did exactly that. Pain has taken over my life and I needed some help. The Pain management doctor told me I had a pinched nerve, bursa and SI-joint on left side. The doctor explained my condition is Superior Cluneal Neuralgia. He has given me one Superior cluneal nerve block for evaluating and treating. It did help a lot so I am to have one more nerve block and if that helps relieve my pain Dr will do a Radiofrequency Neurology which states duration of pain relief varies, but typically 10-36 months with the average response 18-20 months of relief from this pain. I am excited thinking that maybe I will be without this pain for a good while. Pray that it will.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?