Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: docfirstinfdiv, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 63 year old male, and an avid horseback rider. This past July I went on a horse/mule pack trip into one of our wilderness areas. After a short distance (6miles) my right hip began to have a burning type pain that was so bad I became nauseous. I had to have assistance in getting on and off my horse, I could hardly raise my right leg high enough to clear the cantle. The trail that I was on was narrow and went up hill and downhill, so I was putting a lot of pressure on my legs and hips. But only the right was the problem. Long story short I ended up being airlifted to a trauma center where I was diagnosed with Bursitis and Arthritis. Treatment rest alternate heat /ice, follow up with family ortho. Being a trainer I have taken numerous hits on that hip area.

Comment from: Self medicate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I have a desk job and 3 years ago, at age 44, began getting severe hip pain on both sides. We had just bought a puppy and I noticed the hip pain subsided a bit after I walked him. I now walk 3 miles a day to keep all the pain away. Have lost over 30 pounds at the same time. Doctor just diagnosed me today with bursitis and gave me vicodin to take when I am unable to walk (snowstorms, 100 degree heat).

Comment from: ejean12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 70 year old female. I have been in pain since my Laminectomy back surgery in Nov 2007. Since then I have had a 2 Fusion back surgery in Jun 2008. I have not been able to walk but for a short distant, stand for a short time, and sitting gives me a lot of pain. Laying down helps but at night I have problems sleeping on my left side tossing & turning. My life has changed so much since that surgery in 2007. I have always been very active. I lost weight in 2007 and have kept it off ever since. I ended up with Cushing's disease 2010 due to so many steroid epidural and injections. They didn't even help. I cannot have steroid injections and have to keep a Medrol Pak(steroid) only in case of emergency due to the Cushing's disease. I finally asked my regular doctor what can be done after having Steroid injections for over 3 years. My doctor sent me back to pain management doctor that diagnosed my condition in 2008 and he sent me to Ortho Dr which did exactly that. Pain has taken over my life and I needed some help. The Pain management doctor told me I had a pinched nerve, bursa and SI-joint on left side. The doctor explained my condition is Superior Cluneal Neuralgia. He has given me one Superior cluneal nerve block for evaluating and treating. It did help a lot so I am to have one more nerve block and if that helps relieve my pain Dr will do a Radiofrequency Neurology which states duration of pain relief varies, but typically 10-36 months with the average response 18-20 months of relief from this pain. I am excited thinking that maybe I will be without this pain for a good while. Pray that it will.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am a 75-year-old female. I have had bursitis in my hip for several years. I have been treated by numerous doctors and had injections put in my hip. Sometimes the results would last two weeks, and if I was lucky, six months. I also went to a pain clinic and had so many shots that I had what is called "moon face.” My face was swollen for several months. I finally found a doctor that showed me some exercises to do that really helped! He also puts a shot in my hip about once a year. I am now also taking water aerobics, and I think that has helped a lot. I now feel better than I have in several years.

Comment from: Bev, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 33-year-old female and have been dealing with chronic hip pain for a rear and a half. It started after doing the "Insanity" video for the first time. I went to sleep and woke up with my leg stuck turned outward. I couldn't put weight on it or face my leg forward. I was diagnosed with synovitis of the hip and put on pills. As soon as the pills are done I'm back where I started. I have been through three doctors and three rounds of Voltaren pills. I'm still in pain. I used to be a runner and can no longer run, or walk for long periods. I am so frustrated and have gained 30 pounds since.

Comment from: Hollym, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am 43 & have had bursitis in my hip 3 times now. This last time it has lasted for a year so far. I have done physical therapy, steroid shots into the bursa, NSAIDs. I am now using an ointment with CBD that I heard about a marathon runner using. It is alievating the pain & I am hoping it will get rid of this. I am tired of the pain & the xray shows nothing else wrong. It started in the right & after 8 months both were effected.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?