Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had hip bursitis for many years which left me unable to lay in one spot for more than 10 minutes without being in severe pain. I couldn't get up or down to floor. Couldn't bend legs to put shoes on etc. I have tried Myotherapy, massage, cortisone injections, all with no relief. Six months ago my GP put me on deep sea krill oil for arthritis. After about 2 months I realized my pain was not as bad, and the more I took the Krill oil the better it got. I now have no pain, can easily do all the things I did before, I can't believe it was so easy. Well worth giving it a try, but it may take a couple of months.

Comment from: Snowy1945, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Both hips bother me. The left side is worse than the right. Have been to pain management ortho and another ortho. Today once again diagnosed as hip bursitis. This doctor ordered pill prednisone. It has helped before and since I am going on a road trip. He felt the pills would cover me thru the trip. I asked about surgery. I have spoken to some people that have had it and said it was the best thing to ever happen. Oh well. It's a wait and see. I have also had it in my shoulder. Repetitive stress from hairdressing. Froze my shoulder surgery fixed that. Bursitis is gone so like everyone else wait and see. I am so sorry this is happening to all of us. I know the pain of it so I can sympathize with you.

Comment from: Too young, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I'm a 31 year old female. I'm slim and strong but bursitis keeps me down. Walking can be unbearable. But I do have a few suggestions my bursitis started about a year ago and I have found good shoes crucial this means no more heels, thongs or sandals anything but a good pair of joggers. Unless it's necessary. Sad but true. Second with the onset of pain Rest is very important I have 3 young kids which is hard but they are young and pain free so use them as little helpers!! Physio exercises help but they need to be kept up. I'm taking my own advice right now and resting with a wine of course xx good luck my fellow sufferers. Bursitis sucks.

Comment from: Donna Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I'm a very active 67 year old female. Last year I fell on my left side. After X-rays showed no problem with my hip or knee joints I assumed the pain would go away. Four months later my hip hurt so much I was given a cortisone injection by an orthopedic doctor. It helped but the pain came back within a couple months. I kept exercising, running and walking, through the pain. Here it is a year later and I just had my third injection. My hip hurts constantly. I am not overweight and I refuse to stop exercising. My doctor suggested I try acupuncture. I swear I will try anything to make the pain go away. Nothing to seems to help.

Comment from: Lyndy lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I've had pain in my hip area for some length of time and finally last week my Dr. diagnosed it as Hip Bursitis. I couldn't believe that no-one had found this out before. I've been given Morphine for chronic back pain however this does not take the pain from the Bursitis away! So this Thursday 8th Dec. I'm going to have a local anesthetic and then a Steroid injection put into the area. I do hope that this will help me as the pain is so chronic each and every day! It takes its toll after a while you can only take so much pain!

Comment from: Much better now!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 54 year. old female, 20 pounds overweight but very active. I suffered from right, outer hip pain that radiated to my groin with numbness of my outer thigh just above my knee for almost a year. I had x-rays and MRI which showed nothing so I was Rxed physical therapy. After 6 weeks of 2x/week pt nothing was better. The pain was awful when I sat or layed down. Sitting in meetings was Pure Misery. I even dreaded going to bed (and I'm an EXCELLENT sleeper!) because I was in pain laying down - right side, left side, backside or stomach; it didn't matter. Standing, walking, working out were painless. I finally got an appt with a hip specialist. He said, "Bursitis", gave me a cortisone shot and I have been fine ever since. But it was a long, miserable year!

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?