Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Too young, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I'm a 31 year old female. I'm slim and strong but bursitis keeps me down. Walking can be unbearable. But I do have a few suggestions my bursitis started about a year ago and I have found good shoes crucial this means no more heels, thongs or sandals anything but a good pair of joggers. Unless it's necessary. Sad but true. Second with the onset of pain Rest is very important I have 3 young kids which is hard but they are young and pain free so use them as little helpers!! Physio exercises help but they need to be kept up. I'm taking my own advice right now and resting with a wine of course xx good luck my fellow sufferers. Bursitis sucks.

Comment from: Donna Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I'm a very active 67 year old female. Last year I fell on my left side. After X-rays showed no problem with my hip or knee joints I assumed the pain would go away. Four months later my hip hurt so much I was given a cortisone injection by an orthopedic doctor. It helped but the pain came back within a couple months. I kept exercising, running and walking, through the pain. Here it is a year later and I just had my third injection. My hip hurts constantly. I am not overweight and I refuse to stop exercising. My doctor suggested I try acupuncture. I swear I will try anything to make the pain go away. Nothing to seems to help.

Comment from: Lyndy lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I've had pain in my hip area for some length of time and finally last week my Dr. diagnosed it as Hip Bursitis. I couldn't believe that no-one had found this out before. I've been given Morphine for chronic back pain however this does not take the pain from the Bursitis away! So this Thursday 8th Dec. I'm going to have a local anesthetic and then a Steroid injection put into the area. I do hope that this will help me as the pain is so chronic each and every day! It takes its toll after a while you can only take so much pain!

Comment from: Much better now!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am a 54 year. old female, 20 pounds overweight but very active. I suffered from right, outer hip pain that radiated to my groin with numbness of my outer thigh just above my knee for almost a year. I had x-rays and MRI which showed nothing so I was Rxed physical therapy. After 6 weeks of 2x/week pt nothing was better. The pain was awful when I sat or layed down. Sitting in meetings was Pure Misery. I even dreaded going to bed (and I'm an EXCELLENT sleeper!) because I was in pain laying down - right side, left side, backside or stomach; it didn't matter. Standing, walking, working out were painless. I finally got an appt with a hip specialist. He said, "Bursitis", gave me a cortisone shot and I have been fine ever since. But it was a long, miserable year!

Comment from: trackwa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 41 year old female who has suffered with bursitis for around 3 years plus. I had steroid injections which did not work. I have gained 3 stone in weight as I am that immobile. I had 1 week today surgery to remove the bursa. Also they found I had bone spurs on my hip which they have also removed. I am hoping this surgery is the end to my misery. I could not walk stand or sit for long periods and my legs would ache through lack of use. My hip would 'go' at any time i am not sure if this pain was from the bursitis or the bone spurs. I have been taking painkillers and diclofecin (brufen) constantly. I am hoping that the surgery will free me form pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Have history of back problems. Three surgeries with spacer implants on last 2 discs. Happened during 12 year period. Developed left hip pain 7 months ago and can't sleep on left side. Referred to orthopedic surgeon. Diagnosed hip bursitis. Pain on hip, leg-hip joint, side of left knee & lower back of left leg. Given meds for 3 weeks which helped some. Then given cortisone injection. Did not get much relief. After one month, going back for follow-up after 2 months.

Comment from: Female Published: September 13

I'm a 63-year old woman and spent years trying to find relief from my hip bursitis (both sides). I've been to every specialist you can name and many alternative practitioners. I am much better now due to a 3 day a week rotation for 2 years among an osteopathic doctor, an acupressure doctor and a deep massage therapist. Very expensive but worth it. However I still have pain in bed and sleeping is difficult. I'm very active however and not willing to give it up. Start with an osteopathic doctor. They saved my life.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?