Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: JAW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Seven years ago after NSAIDS and cortisone injections failed to relieve hip bursa pain (job had me on my feet in constant motion with no time to heal), my orthopedic surgeon removed the bursa leaving an opening in the trocanteric muscle which covered it. He explained the bursa would grow back, but rather than "rubbing on the mountain" it would fall between the opened muscles. This short outpatient surgery brought immediate and long-lasting pain relief!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 55 years old, the doctor said I had bursitis of the hip. I have taken Soma and all other kinds of pain meds - nothing seems to help. It is worse at night. Heat and ice do nothing for the pain. I am up all night walking the floor. The worst part is not being able to sleep. I did some of the exercises, they are very painful also. I don't know whether to go to a pain management doctor or a chiropractor.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

My doctor advised taking Tylenol, stretching exercises and wieght loss. The stretches were painful but I did them slowly and kept them up. Took the extended release tylenol so I could rest at night (along with 1/2 an ambian tablet). Also adjusted my diet to cut out most sugars and simple carbs as I have heard they feed inflamation. I've lost about 7 pounds over the past month and my pain is significantly less. I am 62 year old woman and determined to beat this.

Comment from: val, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a lot of pain when I walk for long periods of time, the pin starts and lasts a few days, I do not have tenderness on the hip, the pain is more inside the bone. When I am in pain I can not lie in bed from that side when the pain goes away I can lie with no problem, help a doctor gave me cortisone injection it hurts more no relieve for me!

Comment from: mmintexas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

The only medication that helps with my hip bursitis is called Piroxicam. After trying so many, including Advil. I hated taking all of those Advil. I think I might try some stretching exercises and accupuncture mentioned here. When you first start taking the Piroxicam it may make you a little drowsy but I have not effect now. I can take it during the day and work with no problem. Its the only thing that keeps me able to function and walk with significantly reduced pain.

Comment from: Hazel54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 56 year old female who has suffered with chronic bursitis in both hips since 1979. The right hip is much worse than the left. I have periodically had cortisone injections and they seem to help well if the right person does them. When the orthopedic doctor himself does them they work but if the PA or my rheumatologist gave me them and they didn't work. Stretching helps quite a bit. Have slept in the recliner for the last 4 years so then I don't roll on my sides.

Comment from: kyocum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Yes I went to the doctor told them I was hurting in my left hip all they had done was three x-rays. That's all as of today. I am still hurting. What I am reading on hip bursitis sounds like what I have.

Comment from: dayle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

Voltaren cream and physiotherapy. This is ineffective, perhaps because the bursitis has been present for at least 10 years.

Comment from: MommaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had hip bursitis in both hips and received the Cortizone injections which worked great. Last December I had a total knee replacement which ultimately caused me to sleep on my back for many months. My last injection was August 2011 and I am just starting to hurt again. The key is to avoid sleeping on the side that hurts. It may take several months for the inflammation to go down but this does work.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?