Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: val, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a lot of pain when I walk for long periods of time, the pin starts and lasts a few days, I do not have tenderness on the hip, the pain is more inside the bone. When I am in pain I can not lie in bed from that side when the pain goes away I can lie with no problem, help a doctor gave me cortisone injection it hurts more no relieve for me!

Comment from: mmintexas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

The only medication that helps with my hip bursitis is called Piroxicam. After trying so many, including Advil. I hated taking all of those Advil. I think I might try some stretching exercises and accupuncture mentioned here. When you first start taking the Piroxicam it may make you a little drowsy but I have not effect now. I can take it during the day and work with no problem. Its the only thing that keeps me able to function and walk with significantly reduced pain.

Comment from: Hazel54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 56 year old female who has suffered with chronic bursitis in both hips since 1979. The right hip is much worse than the left. I have periodically had cortisone injections and they seem to help well if the right person does them. When the orthopedic doctor himself does them they work but if the PA or my rheumatologist gave me them and they didn't work. Stretching helps quite a bit. Have slept in the recliner for the last 4 years so then I don't roll on my sides.

Comment from: kyocum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Yes I went to the doctor told them I was hurting in my left hip all they had done was three x-rays. That's all as of today. I am still hurting. What I am reading on hip bursitis sounds like what I have.

Comment from: dayle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

Voltaren cream and physiotherapy. This is ineffective, perhaps because the bursitis has been present for at least 10 years.

Comment from: MommaB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had hip bursitis in both hips and received the Cortizone injections which worked great. Last December I had a total knee replacement which ultimately caused me to sleep on my back for many months. My last injection was August 2011 and I am just starting to hurt again. The key is to avoid sleeping on the side that hurts. It may take several months for the inflammation to go down but this does work.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a burning pain in my hip when I walked or stood. If I sat or lay down it was fine. I was treated with Prednisone for 10 days and the pain went away. I will sometimes get a twinge when I have shoveled or raked in the yard, or lifted too much but nothing like the first time.

Comment from: curlykin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have bursitis in my right hip/thigh/butt area and it is so painful I can't sleep. I finally bought a 2" thick memory foam mattress topper and now at least I can sleep! It is the only place and time where I can get any kind of relief from the pain but those 8 hours are now my favorite! I'm going to get a cortisone shot and start exercising that area.

Comment from: Zenma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am obese and have suffered with severe pain of the hip. I thought it was arthritis for years. I finally told my doctor and he said I have hip bursitis. He said that because of my weight he will use a longer needle with a steroid shot. Within a few minutes the pain began to leave. I am now one happy 76 year old. My life is back.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?