Patient Comments: Hip Bursitis - Treatment

What was your hip bursitis treatment?

Comment from: Marianne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a 44 year old female, very active, approximately 15 pounds overweight. Out of nowhere I experienced severe pain on my left hip to the point of being unable to walk with extreme weakness and pain. This lasted about two weeks before the acute pain subsided and I went to a physical therapist. The diagnosis was hip bursitis and tendonitis. I don't know what I did! The treatment was physical therapy twice a week, and home stretches three times a day, followed by icing of the area. I feel 100 percent better. It is still tender in the area, but on the mend, only a little achiness. I do not take medications. I am told this area can be easily aggravated if the correct approach is not taken. I feel very lucky that my treatment is working.

Comment from: tire of pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My hip bursitis is tender to the touch and very, very, painful. It is sometimes swollen and hot to the touch. I have done a lot of physical therapy which is very painful. I have had cortisone shots, anti-inflammatory pills, and patches. I finally have something to block the pain that works as long as it is running, it's called a portable TENS unit. When it cuts off after 60 minutes you can feel the pain though.

Comment from: TDT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have chronic bursitis in both hips confirmed by an MRI. I have been to physical therapy, and received cortisone injections. I also had a battery charged patch with some kind of medicine placed on my hip six times and no relief. I think the PT helped a little bit, but still, after almost two years, my hips cannot be touched and I am in pain every day. I am active, although this has decreased my activity level and I am not overweight.

Comment from: 24hard working femal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am ONLY 24 and have bursitis in my left hip, and a knot that protrudes noticeably with pants on. Not sure why or what to do I have taken meloxicam prescribed by my DR. which only helped for a temp relief and now again the pain is agonizing and I can't sleep at night. If there are any home remedies please bring them to my attention. Surgery is last resort so Jesus is my option for now and I do believe he can work miracles so in putting it in his hands.

Comment from: JAW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Seven years ago after NSAIDS and cortisone injections failed to relieve hip bursa pain (job had me on my feet in constant motion with no time to heal), my orthopedic surgeon removed the bursa leaving an opening in the trocanteric muscle which covered it. He explained the bursa would grow back, but rather than "rubbing on the mountain" it would fall between the opened muscles. This short outpatient surgery brought immediate and long-lasting pain relief!

Comment from: Wanda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am 51 years old, and I have been trying to get relief for the last 2 years. I started seeing a rheumatologist about 6 months ago. I was told I have bursitis in both hips and both knees. I have had 8 steroid shots in my hips, and I am still in pain. I have a terrible time trying to sleep and day to day activities can't be done unless I take pain meds. I cry a lot because I just don't know what to do any more. I am thinking about changing doctors again. I just want to get my life back, but I just don't know if that is possible.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 55 years old, the doctor said I had bursitis of the hip. I have taken Soma and all other kinds of pain meds - nothing seems to help. It is worse at night. Heat and ice do nothing for the pain. I am up all night walking the floor. The worst part is not being able to sleep. I did some of the exercises, they are very painful also. I don't know whether to go to a pain management doctor or a chiropractor.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

My doctor advised taking Tylenol, stretching exercises and wieght loss. The stretches were painful but I did them slowly and kept them up. Took the extended release tylenol so I could rest at night (along with 1/2 an ambian tablet). Also adjusted my diet to cut out most sugars and simple carbs as I have heard they feed inflamation. I've lost about 7 pounds over the past month and my pain is significantly less. I am 62 year old woman and determined to beat this.

Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.
Hip Bursitis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?
Hip Bursitis - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?