Table of Contents
- Hip bursitis facts
- What is bursitis?
- What is hip bursitis?
- What causes hip bursitis?
- What are risk factors for hip bursitis?
- What are hip bursitis symptoms and signs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose hip bursitis?
- What types of doctors treat hip bursitis?
- What are the treatments and home remedies for hip bursitis?
- What is the prognosis for hip bursitis? Is it possible to prevent hip bursitis?
Cortisone Injection Treatment for Hip Bursitis
For what conditions are cortisone injections used?
Cortisone injections can be used to treat the inflammation of small areas of the body (local injections), or they can be used to treat inflammation that is widespread throughout the body (systemic injections). Examples of conditions for which local cortisone injections are used include inflammation of a bursa (bursitis of the hip, knee, elbow, or shoulder), a tendon (tendonitis), and a joint (arthritis).
Hip bursitis facts
- A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between moving tissues of the body.
- There are two major bursae of the hip.
- Bursitis, or inflammation of a bursa, is usually not infectious, but the bursa can become infected.
- Treatment of noninfectious bursitis includes rest, ice, and medications for inflammation and pain. Infectious bursitis (uncommon) is treated with antibiotics, aspiration, and surgery.
- Bursitis of the hip is the most common cause of hip pain.
- Trochanteric bursitis frequently causes tenderness of the outer hip.
- Ischial bursitis can cause dull pain in the upper buttock area. Continue Reading
Firestein, G.S., et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier, 2012.
Klippel, John H., et al., eds. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. New York: Springer and Arthritis Foundation, 2008.
Ruddy, Shaun, et al., eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2001.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!