Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure Treatment - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your high blood pressure?

Comment from: Rick J, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, but rather than go on medication, I wanted to see first if there was something I could do without medication that would significantly lower my blood pressure. So I, removed as much salt from my diet as possible, ate fresh fruits and vegetables, and entered into a rigorous exercise program every day that gets my heart pumping. Following what I have described above, I was able to do this. I went from blood pressure levels of over 150/90 down to 120/80 within a short period of time. By keeping to this routine, I have been able to keep my blood pressure at around 120/80. I am a 72-year-old male. For exercise, I do body building in my own home gym for up to one hour a day. My meals are simple, as mentioned above, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables without adornments. I drink a lot of water, three cups of tea and one cup of cocoa a day (with skimmed milk). I believe it is entirely possible to control your blood pressure this way WITHOUT medication. I am retired now but worked in the motor vehicle trade during my working life. Since I have had time to investigate and experiment with my diet, I have reached this conclusion.

Comment from: SHYeoh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My blood pressure was 150/90 in 2004. I was initially prescribed 50 mg of atenolol. After a year, my blood pressure was still around 150/90 and the doctor suggested increasing the dose to 100 mg. At 100 mg of atenolol, my blood pressure was around 145/90, and I lived with this for the next four years. I consulted another doctor in 2009, and he put me on 5 mg of amlodipine and 50 mg of atenolol. My blood pressure dipped to 125/82! I have always been physically active and careful with my diet, and I wondered why my blood pressure could not be lowered. Finally, I was prescribed the correct cocktail. How do I feel? As if something has been lifted off my chest!

Comment from: Neverending, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I've had hypertension since I was 35, and now I'm 56. In all these years, I've been on 14 different medications with little success in lowering my blood pressure. I've had numerous tests to find out why I am like this but no red flags. I have lived and still live a very stressful life and suffer with generalized anxiety disorder, which I keep telling my doctor is the reason my blood pressure can't be controlled. He now wants me to take Coreg, which will make five medications that he wants me on. I think that throwing pills at the problem is not the answer. How easy to pull out that old prescription pad and never get to the root of the problem. I have taken matters into my own hands and see a psychologist to help me deal with my stress. Hopefully, I will get a handle on my anxiety and my blood pressure. I am not overweight and actually have lost 12 pounds in the past year. I don't smoke or drink, but I am fearful of getting very active due to the anxiety. Life is such a downer anymore.

Comment from: Blitz, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Ever since I changed medication from Ziac due to the diuretic in it to contribute to kidney stones, I have been on a roller coaster. I have had blood pressure of 229/114 (scary emergency room trip) to 94/63. I am currently on my 3rd set of medications. Coreg, lisinopril, and hydralazine. I tried reducing the hyrdralazine, but blood pressure shot up to 160/100. The emergency room, general practitioner, and cardiologist all act like this isn't as disconcerting as I do. The blood pressure issue came to a head immediately after a kidney stone removal surgery. I don't know for sure if its related, but it is taking months to get the right cocktail of drugs. Whew!

Comment from: papolishgal, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 12

After taking lisinopril for a few years it started to make tongue or lips swell periodically. Spirolactone gave me muscle spasms. Amlodepine gave me edema and ankle pain. I have been on atenolol 25 mg, for about 29 years and it has not been increased to l in morning and 2 at night. This is giving me an more than an irregular heartbeat which I already had. At night I wake up and pressure is like around 150 and up over 90 and sometime 100. During day seems to be around 139 over 85 or so. I am diabetic. So what medication do I take.

High Blood Pressure Treatment - Diet Question: How did you change your diet to lower your blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Smoking Question: Are you a smoker or former smoker undergoing treatment for high blood pressure? After diagnosis, did you quit smoking?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Alcohol Question: Do you have hypertension and also drink alcohol? Have you cut back since receiving a diagnosis?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Coffee and Caffeine Question: In what ways do coffee and other caffeinated beverages affect your blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Medications Question: What medications and other types of treatment do you receive for hypertension?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Alternative Medicine Question: Describe any alternative or complementary medicine you use to treat your high blood pressure.