Patient Comments: High Blood Pressure Treatment - Experience

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your high blood pressure?

Comment from: mamabear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was using Vasotec for several years to control high blood pressure that, at its highest, was 140/90. I was diagnosed recently with asthma. Before that, I developed a serious cough, which may have triggered the asthma diagnosis. Then I was put on prednisone several times to control the cough. While that helped, when I came off of it, the cough started again. We did that three times. Finally, I suffered a severe nosebleed. I believe this was a result of the all the coughing and the prednisone. We were in the process of changing meds for my blood pressure when this happened. I started on 5 mg of Norvasc, and then increased to 10 mg when I came home from hospital. I now have developed itchy, little blisters all over my body. I have a ringing in my ears and sometimes a headache. I went to my doctor to ask about these being associated with new blood pressure meds, and he sent me to a dermatologist who biopsied me for scabies and sent me home with toxic creams and lotions. I don't think I will use them until the biopsy results come back. I am disappointed in my doctor.

Comment from: kolawole, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I narrowly escaped partial stroke 3 years back, and since then i've been managing blood pressure. Been using only Juretic and Vasoprin, but for now my blood pressure is reading 139/96, any little stress makes my eyes dim with a sign of stressful.

Comment from: eadweardke, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

trading , http://ccp.arl.arizona.edu/trac/Plater/ticket/14 , fourth , http://ccp.arl.arizona.edu/trac/Plater/ticket/13 , emit , http://ccp.arl.arizona.edu/trac/Plater/ticket/12 , instrumental

Comment from: bananna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

HNP medications seemed to work for 40 years, now I seem to need more. Some medications messed with my breathing. Right now my blood pressure is high and I am right upset. My doctor is not of much help. I am monitoring my BP; and when it starts going up again I take another clonidine. [I hope it doesn't do me in]

Comment from: andocor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I am a 53-year-old female and have recently had symptoms of high blood pressure, which my doctor tells me that I will have to deal with from now on. He has put me on Amlodac 10 mg and until now I have not noticed any significant change in my health. Here's hoping this medication works.

Comment from: Happyman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I was getting my Blood Pressure checked in my 20's. I was told I had it, then I didn't have it. I stopped until my later 30's when my job requires a check up. I was told I needed to get it checked as it was a little high. Recently I was put on Antenolol-Chlorthalidone and 81 mg Aspirin. This being my first time being put on prescribed medication I was very nervous taken this stuff. I feel the same as I always have which is fine.

Comment from: cariadbach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had high blood pressure for a number of years and have had frequent changes made to my medication. I heard about beetroot juice and its ability to help lower blood pressure, so I take a daily dose and have found that I do not go over 135/76 now at any time.I am 70-years-old and although I will not discontinue medication unless my doctor tells me to. I am pretty convinced about the use of beetroot juice. I also slow my breathing down to ten times per minute every day for twenty-five minutes and try to be aware of my breathing rate at all times.I feel great.

Published: July 23

Last month when I went for my yearly physical, my blood pressure was high. It has never been high before although many family members also have it. My doctor was concerned and wanted me take my blood pressure regularly for a few weeks. It has been high every time I tested it. So today I will call him back and let him know. Most likely I will have to be put on medication for it. I know that it is very dangerous to ignore it. By the way, I am 57 years old and female.

High Blood Pressure Treatment - Diet Question: How did you change your diet to lower your blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Smoking Question: Are you a smoker or former smoker undergoing treatment for high blood pressure? After diagnosis, did you quit smoking?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Alcohol Question: Do you have hypertension and also drink alcohol? Have you cut back since receiving a diagnosis?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Coffee and Caffeine Question: In what ways do coffee and other caffeinated beverages affect your blood pressure?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Medications Question: What medications and other types of treatment do you receive for hypertension?
High Blood Pressure Treatment - Alternative Medicine Question: Describe any alternative or complementary medicine you use to treat your high blood pressure.